Static electricity helppppppp

ChronusHan

Ive received my new gaming desktop all assembled and while i was moving the bubble wraps inside the case, i touched the power supply cover and there was a static electricity. I havent plugged ,y desktop its just the system itself. I dont have a monitor atm to test if it works, but i want to know if I fried my computer. Im a sensitive guy so I just know that this will keep bugging me for my entire life. Please help :(

Plug the PSU in the wall outlet. That should ground it

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

What do you mean the power supply cover? Just the top of it? The part by the IO panel?

You are probably fine regardless

What do you mean the power supply cover? Just the top of it? The part by the IO panel?

You are probably fine regardless

I mean something like this which is made out of metal. http://benchmarkreviews.com/19262/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-full-tower-case-review/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-psu-cover/ No use grounding it since the static already happened. Gosh this is making me so nervous and frustrating.

I mean something like this which is made out of metal. http://benchmarkreviews.com/19262/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-full-tower-case-review/phanteks-enthoo-luxe-psu-cover/ No use grounding it since the static already happened. Gosh this is making me so nervous and frustrating.

If it was just the case, I think it's fine. You can also just give the computer power and then try to turn it on to see what happens.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If it was just the case, I think it's fine. You can also just give the computer power and then try to turn it on to see what happens.

So electric static cant ruin my computer if its only the case? I havent touched the mother board gpu, ram or anything, it was just the powersupply cover/hood.

So electric static cant ruin my computer if its only the case? I havent touched the mother board gpu, ram or anything, it was just the powersupply cover/hood.

I've shocked VCRs in the past pretty badly on the housing. It still functioned at the time and I've shocked my laptop with static electricity. It works fine - but like I said, I would at least turn the computer on, even with no display connected to make sure it actually turns on.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I've shocked VCRs in the past pretty badly on the housing. It still functioned at the time and I've shocked my laptop with static electricity. It works fine - but like I said, I would at least turn the computer on, even with no display connected to make sure it actually turns on.

I did it and it turns on what a relief. But once i get my monitor, how do i check if the hardwares are not damaged? I could use cpu z to see if they detect all of my components, but how do i know it if its functional but damaged?

I did it and it turns on what a relief. But once i get my monitor, how do i check if the hardwares are not damaged? I could use cpu z to see if they detect all of my components, but how do i know it if its functional but damaged?

The BIOS might be your best bet in making sure most hardware is detected. Use the PC as you would intend to use it, and also run some kind of stress tester on both the CPU and GPU. What CPU and GPU are you using?

The BIOS might be your best bet in making sure most hardware is detected. Use the PC as you would intend to use it, and also run some kind of stress tester on both the CPU and GPU. What CPU and GPU are you using?

Gtx 970 and i5 6600. Yeah... expensive parts dont wanna get any of my parts fried before even me actually getting to use them.

But atleast i know the thing turns on so whew im a but relieved

Correct.  That is very unlikely something got damaged. 

However I stress test every new piece of hardware. 

Use prime95 to test the cpu for 24 hours. 

Use whichever benchmark you like to stress your gpu.  I recommend against furmark unless you know exactly what you are doing. 

Use memtest86 to test your ram. 

But your fears about the static are not warranted.  Happy computing.

Laws only govern the honest.

Ive received my new gaming desktop all assembled and while i was moving the bubble wraps inside the case, i touched the power supply cover and there was a static electricity. I havent plugged ,y desktop its just the system itself. I dont have a monitor atm to test if it works, but i want to know if I fried my computer. Im a sensitive guy so I just know that this will keep bugging me for my entire life. Please help :(

Modern electronics are pretty hardened to ESD, modern MoBos generally have some type of ESD protection, a built up system usully allows equalisation of charges etc etc

To be honest the only way you will know if you have damaged anything is to try it and see, no third party (without access)can tell you if you have damaged something, you are unlikely to have damaged anything but the only way to know for sure is to try it

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Doesn't Prime95 cause BSOD on Skylake CPUs?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Gtx 970 and i5 6600. Yeah... expensive parts dont wanna get any of my parts fried before even me actually getting to use them.

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, Unigine Heaven, along with some real games will give you a good idea if your system is okay at the moment.

Correct. That is very unlikely something got damaged.

However I stress test every new piece of hardware.

Use whichever benchmark you like to stress your gpu. I recommend against furmark unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Use memtest86 to test your ram.

But your fears about the static are not warranted. Happy computing.

I recommend people stay away from Furmark in general as it is a useless benchmarking tool.

Thanks for all the solutions guys. Im going to try these problems the day my monitor arives. Good quick advices, i love this forum :)

So you dont recommend prime95?

Don't know.  Don't have skylake.

I recommend people stay away from Furmark in general as it is a useless benchmarking tool.

I don't.  I use it for extreme stress testing and thermal compound seating.

I don't. I use it for extreme stress testing and thermal compound seating.

It's not a proper stability test and drivers from both manufacturers throttle the GPUs. Besides normal use will cause thermal paste to set, if you have thermal paste that requires it.

So you dont recommend prime95?

Don't know.  Don't have skylake.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/525225-intel-skylake-cpu-flaw-is-making-systems-crash-under-heavy-load/

Found it!

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus