Installing Programs

stan92

Why do people say never to install more than one program at a time?

1: Data crashing together. 

2: Write accuracy

3: Speed!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The most common answer to this would be speed. Your disk can overload when it's given too many write tasks, and it will pause tasks as it tries to catch up to the workload. Also what Bluejay stated is true, write accuracy will be effected if you install multiple programs at once. 

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

The most common answer to this would be speed. Your disk can overload when it's given too many write tasks, and it will pause tasks as it tries to catch up to the workload. Also what Bluejay stated is true, write accuracy will be effected if you install multiple programs at once. 

Exactly. Who doesn't love speed? btw nice Picture :D

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Exactly. Who doesn't love speed? btw nice Picture :D

It was time for change :) I was getting bored of my sketch anyways, I might have to draw myself something new :lol:

It feels weird to change my avatar after 450 posts though :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

It was time for change :) I was getting bored of my sketch anyways, I might have to draw myself something new :lol:

It feels weird to change my avatar after 450 posts though :P

Yeah, I guess so! Might have had more of a special tough at like 1,000 or something in that criteria! 

Actually, you install multiple programs at the same time, just fine.

However, as mentioned, if you are on HDD, the process will exponentially be slower, as you have 1 arm on the HDD.

On an SSD it's not really a problem, but it slows down the process, especially when it comes to big programs.

But if you try, you'll find that usually, 1 installer system, can't allow 2 or more of the same installer system run at the same time.

For example, If 2 program uses InstallSheld, the second one will tell you that another setup is running. But if you have InstallSheild, and Windows MSI, or InnoSetup, then no problem. This has to do with setup limitation on how it works. Some setup, like I think InnoSetup, allows concurrent setup running at the same time, if I am not mistaken.They are others.

Another problem, is lets say one program include DirectX runtime files, let's  just say, it puts them in C:\Windows\System32 somewhere. Then you have another setup, where it does the same, with the same files name, same location, at the same time. Then what? Well either the 2 setup will go "I can't, skip file", or one of them will say that it failed to install. So you avoid such conflict.

What I recommend, if you want to install multiple things at the same time:

-> Drivers. Don't install at the same time. Ever. The last thing you want is to discover a driver conflict which require an OS re-install to fix (or a week-end or more on the registry trying to figure it out and solve it there (takes more time than backup, re-install, restore)).

-> Small programs, sure no problem

-> Large program, no. Usually they are very elaborate and will have or need system files to install, which can create issues if you have another large program you install.

Some programs require other installations to be cancelled or other programs but thats just because of same registery they use. I wouldn't install multiple drivers at same time. Also you can install several drivers which require reboot. I usually boot after 5 that kind of installs or when I have to install next software from same company (like creative).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You don't need to restart your computer with drivers since Vista.

The only reason why you reboot is because there is a some startup programs it wants to run.

ok all so how ill i know if ive damaged the speed of my hdd and if something isnt installed properly  etc?

damage the speed of your HDD?! Do you mean reduce it's performance?

Any data you put reduces performance of the HDD. You need to DEEP defrag your HDD to restore it.

Also, the more programs you install that put startup things or more or larger drivers for the OS to load, slows the startup of the system at some point in the period (drivers will be at Windows 'boot' process, startup programs or task manager will be when you load the account, services will depends on how the service was done, and on which event it should triggers, etc.)

Ok thankyou @GoodBytes will hdd performance decrease my in game fps?

Absolutely not. It might affect Map load times though.