Trouble after upgrading computer?

AllHokage

I upgraded my computer (Corsair link + new psu + new fans + spray painted my hdd cover). And everything works fine but two things...

The drive I opened to spray paint the cover doesn't appear and my h440 doesn't turn on using the big power button, I have to use the small button above it for it to turn on.

Anyone know what I can do to fix these?

Might add this later...

I upgraded my computer (Corsair link + new psu + new fans + spray painted my hdd cover). And everything works fine but two things...

The drive I opened to spray paint the cover doesn't appear and my h440 doesn't turn on using the big power button, I have to use the small button above it for it to turn on.

Anyone know what I can do to fix these?

Well your button issue is easy. Swap your Reset and Pwr connectors on your front panel pins on the motherboard.

As to your other issue did you actually take apart your HDD to paint the cover? As in disassembled?

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Well your button issue is easy. Swap your Reset and Pwr connectors on your front panel pins on the motherboard.

As to your other issue did you actually take apart your HDD to paint the cover? As in disassembled?

Lol yeah i had saw "painted" and was like waaaaaaaiiit. @op this would be a good question to answer lol. also might want to double check that you have power and data firmly connected.

Yes I took apart the HDD (cover only)...

Might add this later...

Lol yeah i had saw "painted" and was like waaaaaaaiiit. @op this would be a good question to answer lol. also might want to double check that you have power and data firmly connected.

It's all powered, and I painted it properly (took the cover off and masked off the disk side).

Might add this later...

The drive I opened to spray paint the cover doesn't appear

::crossesfingers::

Please be just a disk drive, please not an HDD

Hard drives are quite often dead after opening.

::crossesfingers::

Please be just a disk drive, please not an HDD

Hard drives are quite often dead after opening.

It was a HDD (seagate barracuda)  and I've seen many other people do the same as I did with no troubles...

All I did was take the top cover off and touched nothing what operates it, only the front cover what protects it.

Might add this later...

Yes I took apart the HDD (cover only)...

It's all powered, and I painted it properly (took the cover off and masked off the disk side).

Hadn't refreshed the page to see this...

Yeah the drive is likely dead. You can't open a hard drive outside of a high class clean room without expecting potential problems. If painting one you have to mask and paint it without opening.

Hadn't refreshed the page to see this...

Yeah the drive is likely dead. You can't open a hard drive outside of a high class clean room without expecting potential problems. If painting one you have to mask and paint it without opening.

I doubt it would be dead.... Just seen this video 

and apparently it could be how hard I screwed it back in.

Might add this later...

I doubt it would be dead.... Just seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CAn22TiVV0 and apparently it could be how hard I screwed it back in.

Maybe so, but if you get it to work again I'd copy all the data off and scrap the drive. No way I'd trust a drive that had been opened with anything important on it. You have no way of knowing what debris may have entered the drive while it was open for painting that could cause problems down the road.

You could get lucky and have it be fine, but I'm not a fan of that chance.

apparently it could be how hard I screwed it back in.

Hard drives are super precise pieces of equipment, literally the cover of every hard drive is torqued down to a specific setting and not all are equal. Even if you torque the drive cover screws to the same settings after putting it back together, there is no guarantee the mechanism didn't shift ever so slightly. Even the smallest change in orientation completely changes the proper amount of torque needed to keep everything aligned.

*Edit: Apparently more modern drives have self aligning heads so the torque spec is less problematic. However properly tightening the cover down is still required.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Hard drives are super precise pieces of equipment, literally the cover of every hard drive is torqued down to a specific setting and not all are equal. Even if you torque the drive cover screws to the same settings after putting it back together, there is no guarantee the mechanism didn't shift ever so slightly. Even the smallest change in orientation completely changes the proper amount of torque needed to keep everything aligned.

*Edit: Apparently more modern drives have self aligning heads so the torque spec is less problematic. However properly tightening the cover down is still required.

So do you think it's dead or can I fix it?  :mellow:

Might add this later...

So do you think it's dead or can I fix it?  :mellow:

I'd say if it didn't work the first time it's not gonna work any better if you take it apart again.

So do you think it's dead or can I fix it? :mellow:

Since it doesn't work already there's no harm in trying.

Try looking up the correct torque spec. Drivers like in your linked video are available fairly inexpensively for lower quality ones, but some torque idea is better than winging it.

If you don't want to do that, just try backing the screws off a bit, then tightening a bit less than you did before. Trial and error could get it to work enough to clone it to a different drive.