OC Genie instability

So for the last couple of month I've been running my 3570k in my msi big bang mpower z77 in OC genie II mode.

The overclock was at 4.2GHz.

Recently I've been reading up on overclocking and wondered if I could get more out of my chip.

When I first bought my chip, I overclocked it manually, but could not get it stable above 4GHz, without over 1.25V (I made a thread about it at the time).

I'm using a H100i for cooling, and thought I'd try a manual overclock again.

I had no luck in getting it stable, so flashed the BIOS and put it back into OC genie mode.

Again an overclock of 4.2GHz. This is fine, but I had never done a stability test in OC genie mode before, so thought I would do so.

I left it running prime95 small ffts when I left for work this morning, and come back to my computer having restarted.

After checking the log, it turns out prime only ran for about 2 hours before it crashed.

OC genie is supposed to be a safe stable overclock.

It makes me wonder if it's even stable at stock speeds.

Anyone else had a similar experience, or some insight as to why this "safe" overclock was unstable?

Thanks in advandce

Rhys

p.s. Now stress testing a manual overclock of 4GHz @1.2V to see if it's stable.

What voltage does OC Genie II apply @ 4.2GHz?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

please don't use Prime95 for your cpu,it could damage it.

use Aida64 instead.

Oh really. The only reason I use it is because Linus recommends it.

Well in that case, I'll start using Aida64 instead; unless anyone else has a different opinion?...

I've heard that Prime95 is meant for older chips. Ivy and now Haswell and best using Aida64.

I think it's due to the 22nm technology.

My theory is that OCgenie LIES about the clock and tricks everyone into thinking it is some magic and can be stable!!!1 conspiracy

just kidding, that is an interesting problem tho, i have the same mobo and cpu

My theory is that OCgenie LIES about the clock and tricks everyone into thinking it is some magic and can be stable!!!1 conspiracy

just kidding, that is an interesting problem tho, i have the same mobo and cpu

Do you use OC genie by any chance? :P

Try running test again with Aida64.........but it's also very possible you just didn't get a very good chip.

Silicone Lottery and all.

Try running test again with Aida64.........but it's also very possible you just didn't get a very good chip.

Silicone Lottery and all.

Oh yea, I know I have an awful chip already :P

Just expected OC genie to be stable, since that's what it's designed for.

I shall run it again with Aida64 when I go to work tomorrow, and let you know what happens.

Do you use OC genie by any chance? :P

yes, or i did but i use stock cooler in a r4 and id rather wait until i buy a h100i to oc again cause of temps and noise.

I've heard that Prime95 is meant for older chips. Ivy and now Haswell and best using Aida64.

I think it's due to the 22nm technology.

No. It's due to the heating problems. P95 applies too much voltage to Haswell CPUs causing them to get extremely hot. Hotter than they already do.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No. It's due to the heating problems. P95 applies too much voltage to Haswell CPUs causing them to get extremely hot. Hotter than they already do.

So then the over heating that occurs, whether it's from Prime or the chip itself

is not because of the 22nm technology?

So turns out it's running stable on aida64 in oc genie mode. Been running for nearly 10 hours now. No idea whether to trust it or not :-P And thoughts anyone?

Does that mean p95 puts your cpu under more stress than aida64? I'm not entirely sure what to make of these results, but does that mean I can achieve a higher/more "stable" overclock on an Ivy Bridge cpu if I abandon p95 and use aida64 instead?

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

Does that mean p95 puts your cpu under more stress than aida64? I'm not entirely sure what to make of these results, but does that mean I can achieve a higher/more "stable" overclock on an Ivy Bridge cpu if I abandon p95 and use aida64 instead?

That's my understanding, yes.

This Is as much as a shock to me. I have no idea whether to leave it at 4.2 in on genie mode, unstable in prime, but stable in aida, or leave it at 4ghz,stable in both prime and aida. It makes me feel like aida isn't stressing my cpu enough but at the same time, is prime stressing too much? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I still don't trust of genie :-\

I would stick with the Aida results.

And if you can afford to? Get another CPU.

And maybe a different motherboard........

You know what?............Just build a whole new PC.  :D