Program that allows direct transfer of files from one computer to another via ethernet

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by vanished,

It's pretty simple

1. Plug ethernet cable into both computers
  2. change IP settings as necessary to connect them (192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2 for example)
  3. Make sure there are shared folder set up
  4. just drag the files and they will transfer at ~ 110 MB/s assuming no other bottlenecks

I want to make this a thing if it isn't already

The plan is to write something that is very versatile and can be run in many many operating systems, without the need of installing much third party stuff. 

Question:

Anyone know any languages that allow to be run on mac and windows or if this exists, where i can find it?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

You can just do this with any file browser.  Windows explorer, finder, nautilus, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You can just do this with any file browser.  Windows explorer, finder, nautilus, etc.

9f056eea133ebebfa02b24fdfdde0ff7.png

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It's pretty simple

2. change IP settings as necessary to connect them (192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2 for example)
  3. Make sure there are shared folder set up
  4. just drag the files and they will transfer at ~ 110 MB/s assuming no other bottlenecks

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If these are opposite ends of the same cable won't you have to use a crossover cable rather than a 'normal'?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

It's pretty simple

• Plug ethernet cable into both computers
  • change IP settings as necessary to connect them (192.168.3.1 and 192.168.3.2 for example)
  • Make sure there are shared folder set up
  • just drag the files and they will transfer at ~ 110 MB/s assuming no other bottlenecks
how do you change ip settings?

If these are opposite ends of the same cable won't you have to use a crossover cable rather than a 'normal'?
that's really old... ;)

post-265114-0-07397000-1453753294.png

I think you mean FTP and yes, that's a thing and has been for a very long time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think you mean FTP and yes, that's a thing and has been for a very long time.

that's different

that's really old... ;)

..as am I. :)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

centrino... HAHAHAHA

worse than a core 2 duo!

centrino... HAHAHAHA

worse than a core 2 duo!

idk why it's called that, I've got a sandy bridge i7

that's different

Really? Cause

A program that allows direct transfer of files from one computer to another via ethernet

sure sounds like FTP (or SMB) to me. Why try and reinvent the wheel when the wheel already exists and works great?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Really? Cause

A program that allows direct transfer of files from one computer to another via ethernet

sure sounds like FTP (or SMB) to me. Why try and reinvent the wheel when the wheel already exists and works great?

broken-wheel-michael-peychich.jpg
wheel is not working

Really? Cause

FTP is not the same thing as plugging in an ethernet cord to 2 laptops and transferring a file
trust me i is professional

Really? Cause

Also you can reinvent the wheel 50 times, each time making it more functionally better and easier to use, possibly with A GUI INSTEAD OF A COMMAND LINE INTERFACE

FTP is not the same thing as plugging in an ethernet cord to 2 laptops and transferring a file

trust me i is professional

The important word in the quote is PROGRAM as in an app which is installed on both machines that handles the transfer.

I'm not debating the fact it can be done in many different ways including direct connect, never have.

Oh and saying "I is professional" and not using any form of punctuation makes me think your not.

I said why reinvent the wheel when the wheel works great, your broken wheel picture is pretty irrelevant.

Lastly forums have an Edit Post button, locate it. It really does do what it says... ;)

The important word in the quote is PROGRAM as in an app which is installed on both machines that handles the transfer.

I'm not debating the fact it can be done in many different ways including direct connect, never have.

Oh and saying "I is professional" and not using any form of punctuation makes me think your not.

Lastly forums have an Edit Post button, locate it. It really does do what it says... ;)

dude im just joking around

you dont have to be so serious all the time lel