Using PC to watch TV-NOOB ALERT

As the topic says, I'm a noob to this. I have a decent PC built for gaming (most/all games 60fps+ @ 1080) and just realized that people are using their PC's to watch cable TV(???). I'm an idiot, I know.

Now my situation follows as this:

I live in an apartment complex that has a cable subscription and TV included in the rent, but I have no idea who my provider is but I could easily find out (rarely watch cable, I'm a gamer). I want to know if I can even do this at this point and if I'm already paying for it I might as well use it right?

Each room has a coax jack, and the TV included with the apartment doesn't use a set-top box or anything. Just plugs into the coax jack.

I DO NOT WANT TO PIRATE CABLE TV EITHER. I know people do it, but that isn't what I'm interested in. 

My questions are:

1) What hardware &/or software would I need to watch the current cable subscription I am paying for on my PC? (I'll post specs at the bottom)

2)Do I need anything from the cable company? I've read some about CableCARDs but I'm just not wrapping my head around it. Most info is outdated, unrelated, or I'm just a special person. 

PC Specs:

OS-Windows 10 Home 64-bit

PSU-Thermaltake 650W 80+ (idk the certification level)

MOBO:Asrock Pro4 Z97 

CPU:Intel i7 4790K, cooled with Thermaltake watercooler

GPU:MSI R9 390 8G

RAM:16GB ~2400mhz (GSKILL Ares, i think)

MONITOR: Samsung 27E390, LED 1080 60hz 5ms response time, supposedly full HDTV support

You can buy a tv capture card if you don't neet a settop box to watch tv. Here's one on amazon for 70 that connects via usb.

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1191-WinTV-HVR-955Q-Tuner-Notebook/dp/B001DEYVXO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453752534&sr=1-1&keywords=computer+tv+tuner

If you don't have a normal signal you have to use a tuner box and a hdmi or component capture card.

As the topic says, I'm a noob to this. I have a decent PC built for gaming (most/all games 60fps+ @ 1080) and just realized that people are using their PC's to watch cable TV(???). I'm an idiot, I know.

Now my situation follows as this:

I live in an apartment complex that has a cable subscription and TV included in the rent, but I have no idea who my provider is but I could easily find out (rarely watch cable, I'm a gamer). I want to know if I can even do this at this point and if I'm already paying for it I might as well use it right?

Each room has a coax jack, and the TV included with the apartment doesn't use a set-top box or anything. Just plugs into the coax jack.

I DO NOT WANT TO PIRATE CABLE TV EITHER. I know people do it, but that isn't what I'm interested in. 

My questions are:

1) What hardware &/or software would I need to watch the current cable subscription I am paying for on my PC? (I'll post specs at the bottom)

2)Do I need anything from the cable company? I've read some about CableCARDs but I'm just not wrapping my head around it. Most info is outdated, unrelated, or I'm just a special person. 

PC Specs:

OS-Windows 10 Home 64-bit

PSU-Thermaltake 650W 80+ (idk the certification level)

MOBO:Asrock Pro4 Z97 

CPU:Intel i7 4790K, cooled with Thermaltake watercooler

GPU:MSI R9 390 8G

RAM:16GB ~2400mhz (GSKILL Ares, i think)

MONITOR: Samsung 27E390, LED 1080 60hz 5ms response time, supposedly full HDTV support

First of all, figure out that PSU

second, thats a super OP PC for watching TV.

third, People generally watch OTA (Over the air) broadcasts through their PC's, which is just a TV Tuner card and Kodi. If you want to watch something from Comcast or Verizon or whoever, you'll need a CableCard, as you said. However, they're really, really expensive. 300-400 USD. You would be just better off buying a set top box (actually renting but whatever) from your cable company because it's cheaper, and I bet the TV will work with it anyway. (If it has HDMI it will)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

uhhhh just use project free tv mate. No need to pay for a subscription or anything not technically not legal but to his and his own.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Thank you both for the info! And yes I know the PC is way OP for TV, it's meant for gaming and multitasking with different programs. Just wanted to add another feature/application for it since I never really watch TV on an actual TV haha

Thank you both for the info! And yes I know the PC is way OP for TV, it's meant for gaming and multitasking with different programs. Just wanted to add another feature/application for it since I never really watch TV on an actual TV haha

It's cool man. Glad I could help!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock