Fallout 4 low fps

Rhett Quigley

I have an i5 4690k and a r9 390, the game is capped at 40 fps for some reason, but the fps often stays in the 30's and dips to the 20's.

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

@App4that where have I seen that before....

What is your ram speed as that tends to be an issue and what are the games graphical settings, full ultra?

Honestly the game clearly favors nvidia so you'll likely have to lower a couple settings (I think shadows is on of the more demanding ones? can't remember) @Rhett Quigley

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

@App4that where have I seen that before....

What is your ram speed as that tends to be an issue and what are the games graphical settings, full ultra?

Ram is 16gb at 1866 mhz, and at ultra 1440p.

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Ram is 16gb at 1866 mhz, and at ultra 1440p.

Yeah like I said you may have to lower a couple of settings, I don't remember which affect performance the most without a noticeable visual change, others may have more insight, but you could always tinker until it works out.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I have a tweaking guide on my YouTube if you want to post the video?

I won't post unless asked for as I feel like I would be self advertising :P

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

I have an i5 4690k and a r9 390, the game is capped at 40 fps for some reason, but the fps often stays in the 30's and dips to the 20's.

AS far as the cap goes, fallout 4 bases calculations on monitor refresh rate rather than "objective" time, so the fps is always capped at the refresh rate of your monitor (ie vsync is forced on even if you remove it with the launcher, and if you remove it with ini edits the game physics run slower/faster based on how many frames you have). That said, 40 hertz is not a very common monitor refresh rate, most start at 60. What does your system say about your refresh rate?

The fps is a different story. As far as I remember, shadow distance/detail costs a pretty penny in terms of performance, so maybe turn those down to medium  (My shadows are med quality and high distance, and I notice little to no difference in image quality). And on amd cards, Godrays destroys your fps, because amd cards are worse at tessellation. Turn that to low or even off.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

I have a tweaking guide on my YouTube if you want to post the video?

I won't post unless asked for as I feel like I would be self advertising :P

im interested in the video can u show me?

im interested in the video can u show me?

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

AS far as the cap goes, fallout 4 bases calculations on monitor refresh rate rather than "objective" time, so the fps is always capped at the refresh rate of your monitor (ie vsync is forced on even if you remove it with the launcher, and if you remove it with ini edits the game physics run slower/faster based on how many frames you have). That said, 40 hertz is not a very common monitor refresh rate, most start at 60. What does your system say about your refresh rate?

The fps is a different story. As far as I remember, shadow distance/detail costs a pretty penny in terms of performance, so maybe turn those down to medium  (My shadows are med quality and high distance, and I notice little to no difference in image quality). And on amd cards, Godrays destroys your fps, because amd cards are worse at tessellation. Turn that to low or even off.

Its 60 hz I overclocked to 80 hz. I still get dips to the 20's even with it on the low setting.

Its 60 hz I overclocked to 80 hz. I still get dips to the 20's even with it on the low setting.

How regular are these dips? A lot of people (myself included) have some pretty serious framerate issues but only in certain urban areas if the map (outside of goodneighbor, around trinity tower, etc)

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

How regular are these dips? A lot of people (myself included) have some pretty serious framerate issues but only in certain urban areas if the map (outside of goodneighbor, around trinity tower, etc

Only sometimes does it dip to the 20's, but the entire game so far is at 40 or below, don't know why its capped to 40, but even if it wasn't capped to 40 it regularly dips to the 30's throughout the game. Is it a bad port, or just bad for amd cards, or both.

I followed your video and now the game is smooth.

Only sometimes does it dip to the 20's, but the entire game so far is at 40 or below, don't know why its capped to 40, but even if it wasn't capped to 40 it regularly dips to the 30's throughout the game. It it a bad port, or just bad for amd cards, or both.

It is bad for amd cards, but really only because of godrays, so if turning that off doesn't get you better performance, amd isn't the problem. And while the game isn't anywhere near optimized for pc, the console fallout 4 experience is actually worse than yours, if you can believe it. At this point I'd advise you to do 2 things: wipe drivers and then reinstall them, and make sure to monitor temps and clock speeds during gameplay, we want to make sure that you aren't thermal throttling. 

Edit: looks like you fixed it while I was writing this, good job!

Having a i7 and very high speed RAM is needed for optimal performance. Glad the guide worked!

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I followed your video and now the game is smooth.

Awesome!

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks