New 7.1 surround sound gaming headset

Go to solution Solved by sobe,

The Cloud 2 is a waste of money, and considering you aren't looking to spend much, the HyperX Cloud is available from the first retailer you linked and is the same as the Cloud 2 without the USB for quite a bit cheaper, go with that. As far as 7.1 surround sound, it is not something that headphones/headsets can achieve, I hate to tell you this, you will need 7 speakers sitting around you for that. 7.1 for headsets is in large part a marketing gimmick that many consumers fall for because they don't do any quality research.

If you absolutely "MUST" have that simulated 7.1 surround sound, go download Razer Surround and voila, any headset or headphones now suddenly have that same "7.1" crap.

I am looking at replacing my old CM Strom Sirus-S headset as it has basically reached the end of its life. Looking for a headset mainly to be used for gaming, preferably 7.1 surround sound. I am not an audiophile in any way, and mainly use speakers for music. Sound quality doesn't have to be top of the range, but still rather decent. My budget is R1 650 South African Rand which is approx equal to $100 USD. At the moment the currency in South Africa has become very weak and as such prices for items here will probably vary quite a bit to items internationally. Am willing to go a bit over budget if the product is worth it.

These are the headsets I'm looking at:

Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma for R1 274 (~ $77)

Corsair VOID USB, Virtual 7.1, Wired for R1 456 (~ $88)

Corsair Gaming H1500, Wired, 7.1 for R1 442 (~ $87) (heard that these are preferable to the VOID as they are better quality, comments on this?)

HyperX Cloud II Headset for R1 599 (~ $97)

or a bit over budget but still considering, Logitech G633, Virtual 7.1 for R2 067 (~ $125)

Local retailers are: http://www.rebeltech.co.za/ ; http://www.computersonly.co.za/ ; http://www.evetech.co.za/

Please let me know your opinions of the headsets I mentioned or any other decent gaming headsets that are worth considering. Thanks!

I recommend the Logitech G430, I recently bought my friends old pair, he has a cat that chewed on them and they still work fine so they are pretty durable

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

DO NOT BUY RAZER PRODUCT.

Just don't,  trust me....

If I were you I would choose HyperX Cloud II Headset.

I heard they are quite comfy and the sound quality was not that bad.

But I currently do not own one though.

Heard what other ppl say.

Good Luck

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

i would recommend either the logitech G430 stated previously or the HyperX cloud 2 stated previously or the VOID
have had great experience with the logitech G230 and heard that G430 is just a better G230 (ps dont think the G633 is needed)
I used to have a HyperX Cloud 1 but that wasnt nearly as confy as the logitechs still a great headset
Now im using a Corsair Void Wireless .... gonna guess that the wired ones are the same ... nearly as comfy as the logitechs 
havnt heard anything good about razer headsets but a lot of people use them

NOTE: i have big ears ... so a person with smaller ears may enjoy the could 2 a lot better than i did
and i have heard people have problems with the VOID headsets microphone but i have not had any problems with it

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I have the hyperX cloud II and i love them.

Comfortable and i think they have great sound but that is just my opinion

The Cloud 2 is a waste of money, and considering you aren't looking to spend much, the HyperX Cloud is available from the first retailer you linked and is the same as the Cloud 2 without the USB for quite a bit cheaper, go with that. As far as 7.1 surround sound, it is not something that headphones/headsets can achieve, I hate to tell you this, you will need 7 speakers sitting around you for that. 7.1 for headsets is in large part a marketing gimmick that many consumers fall for because they don't do any quality research.

If you absolutely "MUST" have that simulated 7.1 surround sound, go download Razer Surround and voila, any headset or headphones now suddenly have that same "7.1" crap.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

I couldn't agree more with this. I have a pair, I wish I bought the HyperX Cloud instead. Especially when considering that I got a copy of Razer Surround (which is actually really good). There's really no comparison between the HyperX Cloud II surround and Razer Surround.

You all make very valid points, Thank you! I have thought about the Razer Suround, but haven't really considered it as an option. I'll reconsider the whole 7.1 thing and have a look at the cloud as opposed to the Cloud 2s. My current Sirus-S has true analog 5.1 and I found it worked great. Not a fan of the G430 headset, I personally don't like the fit. Gonna do some more research before I buy, and see what else this thread turns up. As I said as well, if you have any other recommendations in that price range, let me know.

You all make very valid points, Thank you! I have thought about the Razer Suround, but haven't really considered it as an option. I'll reconsider the whole 7.1 thing and have a look at the cloud as opposed to the Cloud 2s. My current Sirus-S has true analog 5.1 and I found it worked great. Not a fan of the G430 headset, I personally don't like the fit. Gonna do some more research before I buy, and see what else this thread turns up. As I said as well, if you have any other recommendations in that price range, let me know.

I won't get into it due to being on a phone right now, but those "5.1" headsets are not actually 5.1, same with the 7.1 with multiple speakers. We don't have the tech yet, at least not publicly, for a true 5.1 or 7.1 experience via headphone strapped to your ears.

@SSL can cooberate this information, I'm not saying it blindly.

Of course, if you like the whole 7.1 thing for headsets, try that Razer Surround to see how you like it.

EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

One thing i like about 'surround' sound is removing that head pressure where you feel where the audio is coming from, which is right beside your ear. It fools you into thinking the sound is coming from much farther ahead.

Not sure if every headset manufacturer does that, but that's what my corsair vengeance 2100 do.

One thing i like about 'surround' sound is removing that head pressure where you feel where the audio is coming from, which is right beside your ear. It fools you into thinking the sound is coming from much farther ahead.

Not sure if every headset manufacturer does that, but that's what my corsair vengeance 2100 do.

Head pressure? Not sure what that means; but, if you're talking about soundstage, that is where a quality headphone comes into play.

Head pressure? Not sure what that means; but, if you're talking about soundstage, that is where a quality headphone comes into play.

I think he is thanking Dolby Digital (just software that any pc can use really, not the headset mfg...) for altering the sound so it sounds just worse enough not to complain?

I just ordered the Hyper-X Cloud, read some very good reviews for this headset. Thanks for the advice everyone.