The last Lumia ever, but not the last windows phone from Microsoft.

AlTech

I absolutly WANT a well working windows phone. 

Just the idea of having the same OS on all devices (something not even apple managed) is great. 

Sadly the latest "try" from microsoft, the Lumia 950xl, is a desaster.

Not only does it NOT use windows 10, but simply a mobile OS that has windows 10 in it's name. It also crashes left and right, needs 100% resetting about twice a week to fix bugs that come bundled with updates. That is if you actually get to the point updates actually do start AND finish.

Waiting for the Surface Phone. If that team can do what they did to tablets, well microsoft may have a chance then. Right now i really hate the windows 10 experience on the phone.

What are you talking about? While the UI is OBVIOUSLY different - because, ya know, it's a different device usage scenario - both Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 Mobile share the same base kernel.

The BIG reason why you cannot simply "use desktop apps", is for two reasons:

1. The vast majority of mobile devices (including Windows 10 mobile) run on ARM, a different architecture, which means that Win32 Apps are simply incompatible, since they cannot run on ARM without some sort of emulation or translation layer.

2. Why would you want to run a desktop app on a phone? It'll look like shit, since the UI doesn't match the device.

Continuum and Windows 10 Universal Apps both look to address these issues - with Continuum, it actually gives you a user interface where using a Desktop App makes sense. With Universal Apps, people can write Win32 programs (or port them) and it'll run on any Windows 10 device, regardless of the actual CPU used.

Once we have x86 powered phones that are more common place, you might actually see Win32 Desktop Apps being able to be run in Continuum - but I personally think we're still a year or two away from that.

why buy Nokia to begin with?

They bought Nokia for a number of reasons, including, most importantly, all the Mobile IP tech associated with phones that they would get access to, as well as all of the experience that came with the hardware team. They didn't need that team long term though, which is why a lot of them ended up getting laid off. Could Microsoft have done the Nokia buyout more effectively? Perhaps.

But what everyone (especially those who love Nokia and hate Microsoft) seems to forget, is that, 100% without a doubt, Microsoft SAVED Nokia. Nokia was past the point of no return - they were done - dusted - out of money and spiralling - if you think the AMD situation is bad, the Nokia situation was 10 times worse. There simply would not be a Nokia - in any form - today, if Microsoft had not stepped in. They did what they did for their own gains of course, but in the process, they also happened to save Nokia as a company.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)