Budget End Motherboard Questions

1. I have heard about bad ASRock customer service, and I have cowered away from their boards. I have also heard that the boars are DOA a lot. Are these reasons valid enough to stay away from their motherboards entirely?

2. What are the bare necessities for a mobo? I have seen "Solid Capacitors" and "Humidity Safe PCB's", but are those standards now a days?

3. What are the 2 best motherboard brands for the low end?

4. Please tell me anything you think is relevant and useful.

Thanks!

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

you can get very good asus motehrboards for $100-150 that have a ton of features, the best UEFI, and very good quality

they sell the most motherboards out of every company

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1) They're not true. ASrock is a fine board manufacturer just like any other. In fact, the only board partners you should stay away from is ECS and Biostar.

2) The bare necessities for a mobo are: beefy enough VRMs to supply power to the CPU, and that's it. Everything else is extra. Hell, an h81 chipset motherboard can still run a Xeon E3 1231 just fine. So long as the power delivery is there, you're good.

3) Best brands? No such thing. They're all pretty much repackaging the same stuff with a different bios.

4) Focus on what you need and no more. If you don't need overclocking, you won't need a Z chipset board, and so on. Unless you're overclocking, with how fast DDR4 is an i5-6500 on an h110 board with a single stick of DDR4 is a great budget solution. The memory bandwidth is still high thanks to DDR4 yet thanks to the open DIMM you have room for expansion. Overclocking isn't necessary on the locked i5, and it supports your GPU just fine.

Idk why all the hate on asrock. currently running their x99x killer and have better luck with them rather than other companies like msi and gigabyte. and had a failure asus board. Though its funny you people hate asrock and love asus when they were technically the same company at 1 time.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

1. I have heard about bad ASRock customer service, and I have cowered away from their boards. I have also heard that the boars are DOA a lot. Are these reasons valid enough to stay away from their motherboards entirely?

2. What are the bare necessities for a mobo? I have seen "Solid Capacitors" and "Humidity Safe PCB's", but are those standards now a days?

3. What are the 2 best motherboard brands for the low end?

4. Please tell me anything you think is relevant and useful.

Thanks!

1. I hear ASUS has bad customer service, not Asrock. Also, they're boards are just as good as any other (except ECS, which is worse than everything).
  2. Uh... does it have all the features you need? For example, USB headers, Sata Ports, SLI, OC support.... you name what YOU need, not the other way around. Modern mobos all contain the bare minimums to run every CPU available for their sockets, so everything else is an extra.
  3. The 2 that have the best mix of price and features. Duh. Personally, I find GA mobos ugly, I don't like red (aka RIP MSI). Asus also tends to lack features at the same price as others. And Asrock is what I use, so......
  4. If you liked this answer, do that thing, and if you don't....... COME ON!!!!  :P

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

From my understanding as a very very general rule regarding consumer grade boards it goes ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS. but as I said it's very general and it will tend to vary from board to board, not manufacturer to manufacturer.

Asrocks cheapest boards to tend to be the cheapest of all. but from what I've heard there is somewhat of a reason for it. for budget boards i would generally go with the other members of the big 4. or just for a not-rock-bottom ASRock one.

the main things in a motherboard is headers, and power delivery. Headers is fairly obvious, does it have as many as you need?, and power delivery will almost always be fine if you don't overclock.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+