21:9 vs 2x 16:9, 1080 vs 1440

Donut417

I have roughly 2600 USD coming back to me from Taxes. Ive considered a few items that I might want to buy, Im still narrowing it down. Here is what I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

Its been a great 23 inch monitor but I find that when I have 2 items open side by side its not always the best experience. See Im a student. So some times ill have my work open and a E book. First of all is a 21:9 monitor better than 2 16:9 monitors? Also is 1440p worth the price? Can a HD7950 do 1440p? 

I used to have a dual monitor setup with my TV. The only issue is my tv is on the wall to the right of me. Its not in the same sight line as my monitor. I plan on hooking my TV up to my computer for Netflix and such, but thats the only thing I plan on using it for. 

Current setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8zDrdC

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

for the aspect ratio it really depends on what you like i recommend going to a store and checking them both out . for example i dont like 21:9 i feel like its to wide and not tall enough but i doubt your hd7950 can do 1440p. i would recommend getting a 970 or 380x minimum that way you can play on high settings  

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I really suggest 2 16:9 1440p 27 inch monitors for productivity, you'll still make off cheaper than a 1440p 21:9.

If you do 21:9, I don't suggest 1080p unless it's only for gaming, it's really awkward productivity wise as it's lacking vertical real estate compare to the 1440p version. Pretty nice for gmaing though

If you go 1080p 16:9, why not get 3 monitors? Trust me, it's pretty awesome to work on. 

In all scenarios, pay attention to what your gpu can do. It doesn't have to be able to game on it at all, but make sure it can do the number of displays and well as the connection type. For example, some of the cheaper 1440p screen use DVI-D, which a lot of gpus have 1 of , and requires active adapter from DP.

If you want to use your gpu for 2 screens (if that's all it supports) at the same time as your T, put your TV on the iGPU. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I have 1080p 21:9 and I love it, It was my upgrade from 1080p 16:9 (2 Monitors) and it's way worth it in my opinion. It can feel a bit short but eh, thats up to you. work out the height & length of the  monitor and figure it out for yourself whether it's good enough for you.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I have roughly 2600 USD coming back to me from Taxes. Ive considered a few items that I might want to buy, Im still narrowing it down. Here is what I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

Its been a great 23 inch monitor but I find that when I have 2 items open side by side its not always the best experience. See Im a student. So some times ill have my work open and a E book. First of all is a 21:9 monitor better than 2 16:9 monitors? Also is 1440p worth the price? Can a HD7950 do 1440p?

I used to have a dual monitor setup with my TV. The only issue is my tv is on the wall to the right of me. Its not in the same sight line as my monitor. I plan on hooking my TV up to my computer for Netflix and such, but thats the only thing I plan on using it for.

Current setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8zDrdC

I personally think ultrawide is amazing I have 1080p ultrawide atm myself with a secondary 16:9 monitor and its great but im going to upgrade to the Dell U3415W later this year and pick up a 980ti with it. I went and checked the monitor out at a micro center 2 days ago and it blew me away.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

@Maybatch123 Good to know. Yeah Im not really looking for a graphics card upgrade right now. I dont plan on spending all of the 2600 USD. 

@Syntaxvgm Firstly I would not be replacing the monitor I have now. I would just be getting an additional monitor. At least that was my hope. I was thinking I could upgrade to a better monitor for gaming, then use this 1080p monitor as a AUX monitor. Ive even considered just getting another one of the same monitor, but Im thinking I might want bigger. I think if I put 2 monitors in my room, My parents might give me funny looks. LOL. 3 monitors and get really funny looks. 

@Maybatch123 Good to know. Yeah Im not really looking for a graphics card upgrade right now. I dont plan on spending all of the 2600 USD. 

@Syntaxvgm Firstly I would not be replacing the monitor I have now. I would just be getting an additional monitor. At least that was my hope. I was thinking I could upgrade to a better monitor for gaming, then use this 1080p monitor as a AUX monitor. Ive even considered just getting another one of the same monitor, but Im thinking I might want bigger. I think if I put 2 monitors in my room, My parents might give me funny looks. LOL. 3 monitors and get really funny looks. 

The solution to weird looks is to convert. Let them use your computer.. 

Every time someone in the past thought I was weird I would just drop a monitor on their laptop, couple days later they'd cry when I'd take it away. 

Anyway, didn't know you intended to game. Raelly, if you want a 1440p screen, 16:9 or 21:9, it's like the others said, for gaming get a better GPU.

I've used odd sized setups myself for years, as I would upgrade my screen and use one of my old ones as my secondary. I'm looking to get 3 1080p screens for my laptop soon, but my desktop has had a 1440p monitor and a 1080p one next to it for some time, wall mounted. You'll find the odd size doesn't matter much.

And, with on a different size, you could say you wanted an upgrade but you are making good use of your old screen. Bam! 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Go 34" 3440x1440 21:9 ultrawide.  It's essentially a 5:4 dual-monitor setup, without the bezel in the middle.  Absolutely fantastic for productivity use, and movie watching.  I'll talk about gaming later.

I frequently use a 3-window arrangement for work.  Left window is for the "work product" document.  Middle window is for reference.  Right-window is for my monitoring of personal stuff (Facebook, LinkedIn, personal email, etc).  All on one screen, all easily readable, no bezel.

If your budget is ~$700-$800 and you specifically want a fantastic movie & productivity monitor, with some trade-offs for gaming, you'll want a 34" 3440x1440 21:9 ultrawide display;  like the LG 34UM95 (link) or Dell Ultrasharp U3415W (link).

If your budget is $1300, and you want fantastic movie, productivity, and gaming, you'll want a 34" 3440x1440 21:9 ultrawide display with GSync.  The Acer Predator X34 (link).  But definitely expect more options and price drops in 2016, as more manufacturers make competing panels.

In general, a 27" 2560x1440 (1440p) 16:9 display will suit you.  Make sure the panel type is IPS.

If your budget is ~$400, you'd want to go with an Asus PB278Q (link) or BenQ GW2765HT (link).

If your budget is ~700, you'll want an upgrade to an Asus PG278Q (link).  As far as 27" gaming monitors go, it's pretty much the cat's meow.

If your budget is ~$700-$800 and you specifically want a fantastic movie & productivity monitor, with some trade-offs for gaming, you'll want a 34" 3440x1440 21:9 ultrawide display;  like the LG 34UM95 (link) or Dell Ultrasharp U3415W (link).

If your budget is $1300, and you want fantastic movie, productivity, and gaming, you'll want a 34" 3440x1440 21:9 ultrawide display with GSync.  The Acer Predator X34 (link).  But definitely expect more options and price drops in 2016, as more manufacturers make competing panels.

SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop
Razer Blade 14 (2015) | Core i7-4720HQ | 8GB RAM | GeForce 970M | 500GB M.2 SSD | 14.1" 1920x1080 Display | 4.19 lbs

I would have to say I dont want to spend more than $600. On top of the fact, Im thinking about getting Moca adpters too. Those cost about $160 for a pair. Im thinking I might just get the same monitor I have, its only $150 currently. At least I can get more desktop space. Then when I come in to a little more money I can get a 1440p Monitor then. Only because I really didnt want to have to get a new graphics card. A 380X costs about $230 ish then $700-$800 for the monitors, if I go 1440p. 

One thing I did want to ask, some one mentioned previously I should be able to use my iGPU for my TV. I thought that was disabled due to the graphics card. If not, would I have to re enable it in the UEFI? Or is it just plug and play. 

Edited by Donut417

Just picked up a Dell U3415W from Newegg on a great price break ($699). Incredible ultrawide!

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

Just picked up a Dell U3415W from Newegg on a great price break ($699). Incredible ultrawide!

As stated above $600 is my limit. Im going to have to wait till I come in to more money before making the 1440p plunge. In reality I have 440 to spend if I pick up the Moca adapters I want. THen I have to buy new spliters and stuff. I think another one of what I have will work. 

I own 2 16:9 and a 21:9 monitor. All 1440p. When doing serious work, nothing beats having seperate monitors despite all of the extra horizontal space on the 21:9. Dividing the work between monitors allows you to keep your main focus on the main monitor and everything else on monitor 2.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14