Most exe files don't open and search regularly doesn't load

So it all started just yesterday when I tried to open MSI afterburner, it just wouldn't open. I went to open Google chrome and it just wouldn't open either, so I uninstalled that, internet explorer opened and I tried to download the Google chrome installer, but that didn't install (or even open). Most programs aren't opening, I've restarted many times, and it hasn't fixed it, I've used sfc /scannow and no problems were found. So please help! Would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: also when I open the start menu (windows 10) and start typing to search about half the time it just sits there loading and not displaying anything and I have to restart to fix it.

i7-7700k @ 5.2GHz Delidded || NZXT X62 280m radiator || Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB || MSI Z270 Pro Carbon || Corsair 16GB 3200mhz DDR4 || Intel 600p 512GB || 2x Barracuda 2tb RAID 0 || Corsair air 540 (white) w/ RM1000i Modular PSU and White cablemod cables || Samsung 65" Series 8 4K + Samsung CFG70 curved 24" 144hz QDOT monitor || Roccat Sova M, Rzr Blackwidow X Tour || Logitech G9x, Logitech G602, Corsair M65 RGB || Yamaha RX-A3060 + Jamo S506 HSC3 5.1 + Logitech G933 || Nvidia Shield TV + Nvidia Shield Tablet K1

did you upgrade to windows 10 or do ac lean install

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

most likely what happen was you upgraded to windows 10 instead of a clean install like @Enderman said  

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Does the issue ALWAYS happen (i.e., you can never run those programs whatsoever) or is it intermittent (i.e., sometimes you can open them, sometimes you can't)?

Does the issue occur in Safe Mode?

(To get to safe mode in Windows 10, Windows key + R, type in the command "shutdown /r /o /t 0" without quotes, and press enter. This will reboot to advanced options. Hit "Troubleshooting," "Advanced options," "Startup settings," and click restart. Press the number that corresponds to safe mode when the list of boot options comes up, which is usually 4 for Windows 10. Test around to see if the same issues comes up in Safe Mode, then reboot the computer to get back into normal mode when done testing.)

Edit: Also, there aren't any error codes or warning windows that pop up, right? This sounds similar to an issue I've seen before, but the computer gave an error code whenever opening a program, rather than doing nothing.

@Enderman yes I did upgrade to Windows 10 some time ago

@Kulshedra yes the programs that don't open always don't open, and I've tried safe mode no difference. No error messages either.

i7-7700k @ 5.2GHz Delidded || NZXT X62 280m radiator || Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB || MSI Z270 Pro Carbon || Corsair 16GB 3200mhz DDR4 || Intel 600p 512GB || 2x Barracuda 2tb RAID 0 || Corsair air 540 (white) w/ RM1000i Modular PSU and White cablemod cables || Samsung 65" Series 8 4K + Samsung CFG70 curved 24" 144hz QDOT monitor || Roccat Sova M, Rzr Blackwidow X Tour || Logitech G9x, Logitech G602, Corsair M65 RGB || Yamaha RX-A3060 + Jamo S506 HSC3 5.1 + Logitech G933 || Nvidia Shield TV + Nvidia Shield Tablet K1

you need to do a clean install then

your upgrade screwed up

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Kulshedra yes the programs that don't open always don't open, and I've tried safe mode no difference. No error messages either.

Well, that means it's definitely not the issue I had seen before. This also means I don't have a quick fix for you. You can either try an OS Reset for a quick resolution, or go through tedious attempts at repair.

OS Reset:

In the run prompt, enter the command:

shutdown /r /o /t 0

Click troubleshooting. Click Reset. There are a few options to pick between here. You can try the Keep My Files option first if you want it to go faster or don't want it to delete your data. If that fails, then you can try the Remove My Files option.

Some possible repair options:

Go to safe mode (select the option that allows networking) and try two of the built-in auto-repair tools in Windows, DISM and SFC. DISM ought to go first.

Press Windows key + X, and a menu should pop up. Click on Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt, type this: "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". This can run for several hours. If any errors occur, they may be a clue. It will get stuck on 20% and seem to not go anywhere for a while. It's fine.

When DISM finishes, assuming no errors, you can try SFC. In the same command prompt, type this: "sfc /scannow".

When both finish up, reboot and see what happens. If the issue persists, you will likely want to get us a copy of the DISM log and the CBS log located in C:\Windows\Logs\DISM and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS respectively.

Keep in mind, this repair process will likely take a while to troubleshoot. The OS Reset will be faster, but you will lose either all programs or all data depending on what option you pick.

EDIT: so you know, I do see that you ran SFC already. Running DISM and then SFC may have different results.