Can't Connect to my Cisco Switch

Hey guys!

I just recently got a Cisco SRW248G from a friend, but I can't seem to connect to it via Serial connection. My PC does have a DB9 port on the back and I have checked the connection (the settings in Putty are correct too). All I get is a blank terminal screen :( can someone help me troubleshoot?

go to device manager and look if your COM conneticon has an installed driver, there you can also pick up the COM nuber for the putty session, if the driver is installed

Is your baud rate in putty correct with the baud rate of the switch?

My native language is C++

go to device manager and look if your COM conneticon has an installed driver, there you can also pick up the COM nuber for the putty session, if the driver is installed

Checked the drivers earlier, and windows says they're fine

Is your baud rate in putty correct with the baud rate of the switch?

Baud rates are all correct as far as the User Guide is concerned

With the serial cable connected and putty open, reboot the switch. You should see *something* as it reboots. If you don't, you probably have the wrong type of serial cable. Cisco uses a weird type, IIRC you either need a rollover cable or a straight cable with a rollover adaptor (either one would in effect be the same thing). Note that rollover is different from crossover. Anything sold as a Cisco cable will have the right pinout. If a proper cable doesn't work, it sounds like you have a dead switch, but you can try looking up the hard reset process for the switch as a last ditch effort.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

With the serial cable connected and putty open, reboot the switch. You should see *something* as it reboots. If you don't, you probably have the wrong type of serial cable. Cisco uses a weird type, IIRC you either need a rollover cable or a straight cable with a rollover adaptor (either one would in effect be the same thing). Note that rollover is different from crossover. Anything sold as a Cisco cable will have the right pinout. If a proper cable doesn't work, it sounds like you have a dead switch, but you can try looking up the hard reset process for the switch as a last ditch effort.

this didn't work :( how do I know if I have a straight cable?

Unless the cable was sold as a cisco or rollover cable, or as a crossover cable, it's a straight cable. If you have not clue what it is, it's probably a straight cable. Buy a cable that's listed as a cisco cable (check reviews to make sure people say it works) and try with that. Or borrow a cicso / rollover cable from someone you know to test with.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: