Rode NT-USB vs AT2020+

Charlie27364

Does someone have experience with both of these? I've seen AT2020 vs Rode NT-USB videos before, but they do not include the AT2020+ which is higher quality. Both of them are about the same price (The Rode NT-USB is like $15 more expensive than the AT-2020+) and both from good companies. Please do not throw false evidence around like " Ummm I've heard the AT2020+ is really good but I've never heard of the Rode NT-USB before so the AT2020+ is probably better! " or anything like that. I'm mostly interested in the actual sound difference, as I've already searched up the features.

Thanks for reading and please respond,

Charlie

I think the AT2020USB+ is identical to the AT2020USB except for features. 

If you base it off of specifications, the AT2020USB+ is better and more true to life. 

Look at the Rode NT-USB's frequency response:

http://cdn1.rode.com/nt-usb_datasheet.pdf

Then click on the AT2020USB+'s frequency response in the "Specs" tab:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5879a6ca22e5aa7e/index.html

The Rode is a little bit bright, with a +7dB bump centered around 5 - 6 kHz, which is in the sibilance range. 

The AT2020USB+ is much more well controlled and its peak is at around +3dB centered around 8 - 9 kHz, which is at the edge of the sibilance range, but should still result in a sound which is less harsh than the Rode's. 

However, the problem with these frequency response graphs is the AT2020USB+ explicitly states that its graph was recorded with the microphone half a meter away from the source. The Rode specifications do not state the microphone's distance from its source, and as recordings on YouTube reveal, the Rode has a much stronger proximity effect than the AT2020USB+. The bass bump from the proximity effect makes the Rode not bright at all when you're close to it: while the AT2020USB+ stays more consistent to its frequency response graph and more neutral. 

So it depends on what you like. Do you prefer a more neutral response? Pick the 2020USB+. Do you prefer a more bassy response? Pick the NT-USB. 

I think the AT2020USB+ is identical to the AT2020USB except for features. 

If you base it off of specifications, the AT2020USB+ is better and more true to life. 

Look at the Rode NT-USB's frequency response:

http://cdn1.rode.com/nt-usb_datasheet.pdf

Then click on the AT2020USB+'s frequency response in the "Specs" tab:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5879a6ca22e5aa7e/index.html

The Rode is a little bit bright, with a +7dB bump centered around 5 - 6 kHz, which is in the sibilance range. 

The AT2020USB+ is much more well controlled and its peak is at around +3dB centered around 8 - 9 kHz, which is at the edge of the sibilance range, but should still result in a sound which is less harsh than the Rode's. 

However, the problem with these frequency response graphs is the AT2020USB+ explicitly states that its graph was recorded with the microphone half a meter away from the source. The Rode specifications do not state the microphone's distance from its source, and as recordings on YouTube reveal, the Rode has a much stronger proximity effect than the AT2020USB+. The bass bump from the proximity effect makes the Rode not bright at all when you're close to it: while the AT2020USB+ stays more consistent to its frequency response graph and more neutral. 

So it depends on what you like. Do you prefer a more neutral response? Pick the 2020USB+. Do you prefer a more bassy response? Pick the NT-USB. 

Thanks, perfect response.