CS:GO fps drops in smoke

djdelarosa25
Go to solution Solved by MilkJugg24,

There's nothing you can really do about it. The fps drops are related to the lack of hardware you have. I used to have the exact same issue on laptop with a 2core intel CPU and AMD 6630M. It's not driver related and there's nothing you can do about it.

It happens in any game with dense particle effects. For instance, putting my camera in a particle effect such as fire in world of warcraft would make my fps go from 55 down to 8. 

I'm 95% sure it's caused by you CPU being at 100% usage when you go into the smoke... it just can't handle it.

The setting that lowers smoke quality is 'effect detail' and that's already on the lowest settings sadly.

I know this is an old rig, but I get 100+ fps in CS:GO at all low 800x600 res. FPS drops to about 40 near smoke, or when flashed. Is it the CPU or the GPU?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT OC'ed

3 GB RAM DDR2

I know this is an old rig, but I get 100+ fps in CS:GO at all low 800x600 res. FPS drops to about 40 near smoke, or when flashed. Is it the CPU or the GPU?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT OC'ed

3 GB RAM DDR2

CPU, turn down smoke effects.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

For some reason, I've heard numerous times in games where my teammates told me to stop throwing smokes because it was making them lag... lol

Pretty sure it's a GPU thing.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

For some reason, I've heard numerous times in games where my teammates told me to stop throwing smokes because it was making them lag... lol

Pretty sure it's a GPU thing.

Back in the day it was said turning down smoke effects took heat off the CPU which in turn stops lag. The cpu needs to work on rendering the smoke.

Where can I find it?

It will be in your graphics option ironically enough but will take stress off your cpu.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Back in the day it was said turning down smoke effects took heat off the CPU which in turn stops lag. The cpu needs to work on rendering the smoke.

It will be in your graphics option ironically enough but will take stress off your cpu.

Everything is already set to low. I don't find any smoke effects option there.

One sec I'll launch the game.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Forgot how much they changed in the settings, Can you post a screenshot of your video settings please?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do other than upgrade your gpu. you can try various config tweaks, etc, but the hardware is what it really comes down to. 

I get no FPS drops with smoke, i do when players are rendered on screen.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

There's nothing you can really do about it. The fps drops are related to the lack of hardware you have. I used to have the exact same issue on laptop with a 2core intel CPU and AMD 6630M. It's not driver related and there's nothing you can do about it.

It happens in any game with dense particle effects. For instance, putting my camera in a particle effect such as fire in world of warcraft would make my fps go from 55 down to 8. 

I'm 95% sure it's caused by you CPU being at 100% usage when you go into the smoke... it just can't handle it.

The setting that lowers smoke quality is 'effect detail' and that's already on the lowest settings sadly.

Spoiler

Aw :( I previously had a Core 2 Duo E7400 that would also lag in smoke or when there were to many players. I thought that buying the highest end LGA 775 CPU that I could find would fix these problems. Disappointed. Well, at least it doesn't stutter as much as before. And I do get to 200+ fps sometimes. Thanks for the help guys! :)