Looking for a good cpu cooler

GIR385

I have a standard tower PC with an AMD Athlon X4 860K. I want to overclock it to 4.4 to 4.5 gigahertz. I was going to get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, but I found my case (Sentey GS-6008 Plus) only supports coolers of up to 150mm, where the CoolerMaster is 159mm. I measured, and if the CoolerMaster is actually 159mm, it won't fit. Is it actually 159mm? If so, do you have any suggestions for good compact coolers that could meet the overclocking requirements and cost about 30-40$?

-GIR

Hyper 212 EVO,

use a grinder to shorten the pipes. ther r about 10mm lol.

its still fit without cutting the pipes, if your side panel is bent a little bit.

If you puncture a heatpipe it loses all of it's thermal conductivity. 

They are at the end. no fins are attached to it. 

This is bending or crimping the heatpipe which is different from puncturing it. Sanding it down to break the seal of the vapor inside which is what makes near all of the heatpipe's performance.

Soooo, what do I do? I'm really wanting to use the 212 EVO, but it won't fit without modification. Is there anything I can do to make it fit?

Drilling holes for the heatpipes to fit through the side panel would work. Other than that, just get a shorter cooler. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermalright-cpu-cooler-macho120reva

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You cooler is 159.5 if your interested and your case is 180mm wide (that's really thin as it goes) also your case has 2 fan vents in the side panel which would interfere with the cooler if fans were installed in them also I'm a big fan of modding but cutting holes in that case for that cooler would look shit tbh,

YOU CANT TRIM HEAT PIPES they are hollow and use vapor to cool also bending them is really not advised because you probably will damage them as the radius you need is too small

Most companies do low profile coolers but have you considered getting an aio? I'm in the UK so my prices are considerably higher so I don't know exactly what you can get but even if you just find another 10-15 dollars from somewhere it's a nice solution especially for overclocking

CPU I7 8700k oc'd @ 5ghz Motherboard ASUS Z370 E RAM G.Skill Trident RGB 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mh GPU EVGA GTX 980ti SSC

I have a standard tower PC with an AMD Athlon X4 860K. I want to overclock it to 4.4 to 4.5 gigahertz. I was going to get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, but I found my case (Sentey GS-6008 Plus) only supports coolers of up to 150mm, where the CoolerMaster is 159mm. I measured, and if the CoolerMaster is actually 159mm, it won't fit. Is it actually 159mm? If so, do you have any suggestions for good compact coolers that could meet the overclocking requirements and cost about 30-40$?

I have the exact same CPU and my case was too short too. I use the Silverstone AR-02, works brilliantly, 4.5GHz without even worrying about temps. They stay at 55C at full load. And with some tweaking, it's pretty quiet too.

I have the exact same CPU and my case was too short too. I use the Silverstone AR-02, works brilliantly, 4.5GHz without even worrying about temps. They stay at 55C at full load. And with some tweaking, it's pretty quiet too.

Thanks! That one sounds great. I think I'll use it. Thanks for your help!

-GIR