Gigabyte/Computer Lounge not honoring warranty

DrDray
Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

I still don't even understand how one can bend pins when putting a cpu straight down into the socket, pins were even bent 180 degrees over. I understand where you're coming from but it's bs

then you shouldn't have touched it

you never touch the pins

if there is anything wrong with the pins you immediately call the retailer and tell them you're bringing it back in for a replacement

that's pretty much your life lesson, now you know what to do if it ever happens again

i'm sorry for your loss, move on

About 5 weeks ago I purchased a second hand (but brand new, unopened) Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 motherboard for $150NZD.

I chucked in my new (to me) i74770k and set of brand new G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4gb DDR3 1600MHZ from a local store called PB Tech (I live in Chirstchurch, New Zealand).

I was excited to put together my new PC and unfortunately the pc was stuck in a boot loop, I then decided to take out one stick of RAM as I know it's a likely culprit and bam, the PC booted! Next day I went back to PB Tech with the ram and said that I was having issues with it and it would not boot with both sticks in, they tested it with a nearly identical rig and it worked fine. Me being confused, I took it home and tried with two sticks and it was a no go, but I could still run either stick one at a time with no problems. I started asking around forums about what could cause this issue and they all said bent pins on the CPU socket. So I took the CPU back off and noticed that a bunch of pins were bent, so I carefully bent them back and reassembled but still would not boot, pulled back apart again and under a closer examination i noticed that on the very bottom left corner that a pin was actually snapped and missing.

yAMgc0N.jpg

Note picture was taken AFTER I'd attempted to bend back most of the pins

I then took pictures and sent them to the guy I bought the board off and he then forwarded it to Computer Lounge and they said to send it back to them to evaluate, they then came back and said that it is "used/messed with" so won't honor it. They then went to Gigabyte with the issue and they replied with the same thing, but (quote from email I received) "I asked them to pursue it with Gigabyte and they did so; Gigabyte won't honor the warranty but they'll fix it; the catch being the cost to fix it is $150"

lUJfbIP.jpg

I don't see how this is fair at all, it was DOA? I'm not stupid enough to bend about 12 pins in total in 2 different spots and then snap one in a different area?? 

I hardly see how this is fair.

If you have the option to get a high refresh rate monitor, do it.

Main PC CPU: i7 14700k CPU Cooler: NZXT x62 280mm Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X WiFi 7 GPU: Asus Strix 3080ti RAM: Gskill Trident Z5 32gb DDR5 SSD: 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black PSU: Corsair RM1000e ATX3.0

Server: CPU: i7 9700k RAM: Corsair 32gb DDR4 HDD: 36tb Usable SSD: Samsung 500gb NVME Case: Fractal Define R5 PSU: Corsair RM1000e ATX3.0

Here's the thing: You touched the CPU socket and bent some pins back. From their perspective, who's to say you didn't snap the pin?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is why you should always check your product physically before leaving the store.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Here's the thing: You touched the CPU socket and bent some pins back. From their perspective, who's to say you didn't snap the pin?

I understand that, but even still the pins shouldn't have been bent in the first place? If the pins weren't bent then I wouldn't have to bend them back (and in their eyes I could've snapped it) But, if they weren't bent to start off with then I would not be in this problem :/

Main PC CPU: i7 14700k CPU Cooler: NZXT x62 280mm Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X WiFi 7 GPU: Asus Strix 3080ti RAM: Gskill Trident Z5 32gb DDR5 SSD: 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black PSU: Corsair RM1000e ATX3.0

Server: CPU: i7 9700k RAM: Corsair 32gb DDR4 HDD: 36tb Usable SSD: Samsung 500gb NVME Case: Fractal Define R5 PSU: Corsair RM1000e ATX3.0

Yeah, got same problem with Gigabyte, frak them... they have the worst customer service,

All I did is try to install CPU but it didn't go in at first, I had to force it a little, when I got it in it didn't boot.

Then I took out the CPU...

AND THE FRAKING PINS WERE BENT AND EVEN SOME CAPACITORS SNAPPED OFF,

WTF GIGABYTE?????

vALJU72.jpg

how is this fair? Q.Q

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I understand that, but even still the pins shouldn't have been bent in the first place? If the pins weren't bent then I wouldn't have to bend them back (and in their eyes I could've snapped it) But, if they weren't bent to start off with then I would not be in this problem :/

if they were bent to start off then you shouldn't have touched it and immediately returned it

it's your fault as a user

and you most likely didn't install the CPU careful enough which caused the bent pins in the first place

it is highly unlikely for LGA board to leave manufacturing site with bent pins, 80% of the time it's user error

Motherboard makers usually replace it even if the CPU was indeed installed improperly but since you physically touched the pins it's void immediately

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

if they were bent to start off then you shouldn't have touched it and immediately returned it

it's your fault as a user

and you most likely didn't install the CPU careful enough which caused the bent pins in the first place

it is highly unlikely for LGA board to leave manufacturing site with bent pins, 80% of the time it's user error

Motherboard makers usually replace it even if the CPU was indeed installed improperly but since you physically touched the pins it's void immediately

How does one actually bend pins via installing the CPU? genuine question, you'd have to be fairly fucking aggresive

How does one actually bend pins via installing the CPU? genuine question, you'd have to be fairly fucking aggresive

the pins are fairly fucking delicate and don't require much to bend them, that's why the socket always comes with a plastic cover and whenever you use the motherboard without a CPU in the socket you must always put the plastic cover back on

Yeah, got same problem with Gigabyte, frak them... they have the worst customer service,

All I did is try to install CPU but it didn't go in at first, I had to force it a little, when I got it in it didn't boot.

WTF GIGABYTE?????

vALJU72.jpg

how is this fair? Q.Q

Those look like metal worms coming out of their caves lel

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Those look like metal worms coming out of their caves lel

#GigabyteRuinedMyFrakingLife

the pins are fairly fucking delicate and don't require much to bend them, that's why the socket always comes with a plastic cover and whenever you use the motherboard without a CPU in the socket you must always put the plastic cover back on

I still don't even understand how one can bend pins when putting a cpu straight down into the socket, pins were even bent 180 degrees over. I understand where you're coming from but it's bs

WTF GIGABYTE?????

vALJU72.jpg

how is this fair? Q.Q

have you tried turning it off and back on again? lol

then you shouldn't have touched it

you never touch the pins

if there is anything wrong with the pins you immediately call the retailer and tell them you're bringing it back in for a replacement

that's pretty much your life lesson, now you know what to do if it ever happens again

i'm sorry for your loss, move on

if it is broken, and under warranty. Do not try fix it yourself.

I work with customers who try this all the time, this is exactly how you void your warranty

Try posting this on GPForums as some of the CL Staff are there and they may be able to help you out with this.

Try posting this on GPForums as some of the CL Staff are there and they may be able to help you out with this.

what's  gpforums?

what's cl?

can they help me too? (linked pic above)

what's  gpforums?

what's cl?

can they help me too? (linked pic above)

It's a NZ Forum

CL= Computer Lounge

Doubt it.

It's a NZ Forum

CL= Computer Lounge

Doubt it.

Thanks for the info but I'm just gonna drop it, considering I messed with the pins and I kinda need the money for it sooner rather than later