R9 290 performing underwhelming

j0rizz

Half a year ago I bought a R9 290 stock edition and replaced the stock cooler with an Arctic Cooling Accelero Arctic Xtreme IV. It runs great, even on the lowest cooling settings this beast keeps my GPU at a solid 48 C (that's 118F). Only thing is, when benchmarking I score in the lowest 5th percentile according to userbenchmark. I have noticed that I run most games at an avarage 30FPS at high settings when I expect double (games like the Witcher 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown and Starcraft 2). Can anybody help improve my GPU performance?

My setup:

• i-5-4690K (cooled by be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1)

• MSI Z97S SLI KRAIT Edition (BIOS Version 10.2)

• R9 290 (cooled by Arctic Cooling Accelero Arctic Xtreme IV) (Radeon software Version 15.12)

• 8GB Corsair Vengeance memory

• EVGA Supernova 850 G2

• Windows 10 64 bit

Here is the result of userbenchmark:

http://imgur.com/CfndfQ5

I always turn of V-sync, stil does not give me the expected FPS.

Dude. Just run a different benchmark like 3dmark firestrike. One benchmark doesn't mean anything.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Can you monitor the card while gaming using something like HWmonitor or afterburner? I'd like to see what clock speeds you are getting. also, when you mention that your cooler keeps you under 48 degrees, I assume that means under load?

In general I have a pretty poor view of those type of aftermarket gpu coolers, so I'd like to make sure you aren't thermal throttling due to a bad seating of the cooler.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

I have a 290 and can say that i can max all of the games you listed and get 60+fps. Try reinstalling drivers if that doesnt fix it then you probably have a dud and what resolution are you running it at? might be limited by refresh if its set to 30hz

Here are the clock speeds and temps when running 5 min of Witcher 2 at max settings (ubersampling off):

http://imgur.com/bsGZI57

Hmm well everything looks good as far as maximums go. Did you watch it while you were playing? Was the gpu core clock staying at it's 947mhz max?

Assuming it is, I really don't know what to tell you. If reinstalling drivers / installing the new 16.1 drivers doesn't work, it's possible that reinstalling windows might help, but I doubt it. 

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

Reinstall drivers maybe. Also, there's new 16.1 drivers out, try those.

I will, thanks.

Hmm well everything looks good as far as maximums go. Did you watch it while you were playing? Was the gpu core clock staying at it's 947mhz max?

Assuming it is, I really don't know what to tell you. If reinstalling drivers / installing the new 16.1 drivers doesn't work, it's possible that reinstalling windows might help, but I doubt it. 

I was checking while playing, GPU clock stayed the same.

I also ran a Firestrike (demo) benchmark:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7304342

These scores seem a bit low too, am I right?