Need some assistance in creating a Database with Access

Zyre

Hello,

I'm in need of some assistance. I hope someone can assist me in figuring this out.

Right now I'm working on a simple database in Access. What I want is a table for customer information (Name, Birthday, Home adress, etc) and then have a table for repairs.

I can't figure out how I can link these together. 

I want each customer to have his own repair report. This report will include a short description of the issue, the current status and priority. 

This in turn needs to become a simple form.

In the end I want to be able to find the customer information trough the repair report and the other way around.

So far I've been unable to do this. The relationships confuse me. I've looked up online but so far haven't found what I need.

Can someone assist me?

If there is any chance of this growing into something substantial and/or important in any way, I'd recommend a different package than access

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

If there is any chance of this growing into something substantial and/or important in any way, I'd recommend a different package than access

Right now I'm messing in Access to learn it. However, we also use Access on school and I need to learn it for my study.

Access is fine for this kind of application. You could always upgrade to SQL at later date without too much worry.

This isn't any harder than creating a unique identifier in the Customer table (usually an autonumber), and using this identifier as a foreign key in the repair table.

This will allow you to identify all the repairs belonging to one customer.

Let us know how you get on?

Access is fine for this kind of application. You could always upgrade to SQL at later date without too much worry.

This isn't any harder than creating a unique identifier in the Customer table (usually an autonumber), and using this identifier as a foreign key in the repair table.

This will allow you to identify all the repairs belonging to one customer.

Let us know how you get on?

I didn't figure it out :(

Can you create a database and then send it to me? I can then look at how you did it.

I would much rather you knew how to create it yourself, I'll meet you in the middle and show you how it should appear.

4Ar5BNs.png

You've simply got a one-to-many relationship between the customer (one) and the repair (many) table. One customer can have many repairs, but one repair won't have many customers - so this works great for the situation. You might also want to note that I've ticked Enforce Referential Integrity, this will ensure you cannot create a Repair ticket without entering a customer ID (easy oversight later on down the line).

Once again, rather not hand you the answer but if you're still getting stuck tomorrow I'll post up the DB.

Good luck!