How do I allocate Minecraft Server 4-8Gb of Ram?

AlTech

Hello all,

I want to allocate my minecraft server 4-8GB RAM. How can I do that?

And also, should i host a minecraft server and join on the same computer?

Oh and one last thing, How do i maintain automatic saves? I've had my server crash and lose all changes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You'll need 64bit Java (Google that one), then make your startup script (tutorials on Minecraft Wiki) something with Xmx- [number of GB RAM]G xms- 1G.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Make a bat file linked to it, then the -xms codes for configuration.

I forgot what the codes are but i am sure you could search em up pretty quickly.

You'll need 64bit Java (Google that one), then make your startup script (tutorials on Minecraft Wiki) something with Xmx- [number of GB RAM]G xms- 1G.

-Xms has been getting out of fashion for minecraft servers lately, minecraft has been very good at running with stock -Xms settings in the more recent versions. and it may actually be an improvement to "muffling" large garbage cycles that can cause big lag spikes.

all other questions are hugely setup and purpose dependant and answers can change completely depending on what you are doing.

one generic rule to follow is dont host anything public on something thats not a datacenter connection.

If you are running a server and you want to save your progress, even through crashes, try locating the save files and keeping them somewhere external.

What he said. Make sure you don't allocate all 8 or 4gbs of ram you have on your PC all to minecraft though

What he said. Always leave about 2-4GB minimum for OS and other applications, especially if you plan to use a client too. Running both is okay, since the non-graphics work is just in the server, but be aware you'll likely have more world loaded at a time so a strong CPU and at the very least 8GB of RAM is important.

Hello all,

I want to allocate my minecraft server 4-8GB RAM. How can I do that?

And also, should i host a minecraft server and join on the same computer?

Oh and one last thing, How do i maintain automatic saves? I've had my server crash and lose all changes.

You can host a server on the same computer but you will need to portforward to have friends which aren't on your network be able to join. Which there are videos on YouTube. All it involves is going into 'CMD' command prompt type ipconfig find your local gateway type tat into your search engine thing it's usually 192.168. (Last two change depending on your network) I forgot the rest but it should be on YouTube.

Automatic saves can be configured in your config setting or /save-all in game (I think it's that)

Hope this helps

i feel like i should make an in-depth guide to minecraft servers that covers the whole range of hardware, software, and purposes.

anyone in on that idea?

i feel like i should make an in-depth guide to minecraft servers that covers the whole range of hardware, software, and purposes.

anyone in on that idea?

Yeah sounds great

What he said. Make sure you don't allocate all 8 or 4gbs of ram you have on your PC all to minecraft though

Don't worry I have 16GB total.

What he said. Always leave about 2-4GB minimum for OS and other applications, especially if you plan to use a client too. Running both is okay, since the non-graphics work is just in the server, but be aware you'll likely have more world loaded at a time so a strong CPU and at the very least 8GB of RAM is important.

So a quad core i5 wouldn't be that good?

It's haswell.

anyone in on that idea?

Once I get a replacement mic (cos Logitech bailed on me for headset warranty) I'll go make one. Once I learn how to do it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Don't worry I have 16GB total.

So a quad core i5 wouldn't be that good?

It's haswell.

Once I get a replacement mic (cos Logitech bailed on me for headset warranty) I'll go make one. Once I learn how to do it.

You're good on RAM and your CPU should be fine :) unless you're playing with thirty mates of course..

Once I learn how to do it.

trust me, if you need to learn how to do it, you're missing a few years on your resume ^^

anyways, i'm typing one out now. may be a few hours before i'm done tho.

You're good on RAM and your CPU should be fine :) unless you're playing with thirty mates of course..

How many cores would I need for 100+ people. (Or even 50) ?

How many cores would I need for 100+ people. (Or even 50) ?

I'm not really an expert, but you'd definitely want at least 8 threads. And to allocate a good chunk of RAM. I'm sure someone is more knowlageable than me. If you want it to be a reliable semi-pro server you'll want Xeons and ECC RAM and all that good stuff.

I'm not really an expert, but you'd definitely want at least 8 threads. And to allocate a good chunk of RAM. I'm sure someone is more knowlageable than me. If you want it to be a reliable semi-pro server you'll want Xeons and ECC RAM and all that good stuff.

Probably best at that point just to use existing Minecraft Server hosts :(