which macbook to get?

fragment21

Hi, i'm currently a student and I was just debating on what macbook to get.. I have a 1200~ budget and I like the macbooks sleek look and everything, but I just don't know which one I should get. I'm currently debating on a 13' air, and a 13' pro, but the difference is the SSD storage, 1 has 128, the other has 256, both with 8 gb of ram... I'm not sure which one I should get. thoughts?

None 

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

please dont waste money on a macbook and get a zenbook, 

small

light

1000x more power

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03JA6531&cm_re=zenbook-_-34-232-776-_-Product

512 GB SSD

12 GB RAM

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Hi, i'm currently a student and I was just debating on what macbook to get.. I have a 1200~ budget and I like the macbooks sleek look and everything, but I just don't know which one I should get. I'm currently debating on a 13' air, and a 13' pro, but the difference is the SSD storage, 1 has 128, the other has 256, both with 8 gb of ram... I'm not sure which one I should get. thoughts?

Between the 13" Macbook Air and the 13" Retina Macbook Pro?

What applications do you need to use?  While the Retina display will look great, the 256GB SSD storage on the Air does provide more room for apps and storing files on the Air without resorting to an external storage device.

Personally I'd get the Pro and use an external USB key or drive.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Between the 13" Macbook Air and the 13" Retina Macbook Pro?

What applications do you need to use?  While the Retina display will look great, the 256GB SSD storage on the Air does provide more room for apps and storing files on the Air without resorting to an external storage device.

word, pp, basic internet usage and everything, multiple tabs etc..

Ooh.. brave asking about Mac on here :P Go for the Pro, the hard drive can be expanded through an external drive or an SD Card that sits flush with the slot. The screen is worlds ahead of the nasty TN matte thing on the air, and its generally a much faster and more powerful machine. I had two (one retina, one not) and they were both fantastic machines.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Ooh.. brave asking about Mac on here :P Go for the Pro, the hard drive can be expanded through an external drive or an SD Card that sits flush with the slot. The screen is worlds ahead of the nasty TN matte thing on the air, and its generally a much faster and more powerful machine. I had two (one retina, one not) and they were both fantastic machines.

thank you... I appreciate that, idk I just wanted to ask :P but thank you again.. 

I myself would recommend this too, but he is clearly wanting a Macbook not a PC. 

i just really like the macbook, i've been debating and yeah... it's just overall nice and stuff :P

More of personal preference betweeen the 13" air and 13" pro. Id get the pro if its retina, love my retina screen.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

word, pp, basic internet usage and everything, multiple tabs etc..

What's the point of buying a Macbook for that?

I'm not a Mac hater, I use an iMac for work everyday and I love it. That being said, I only use one because it's unix based (makes programming and stuff like server management much more convenient) and I use some software that don't exist for Windows/Linux - I don't recommend paying that much for just a sleek look.

Save your money, go for something cheaper, a 400$ laptop will be more than enough for what you want to do. You can even buy a SSD (you can get a 500GB for like 150$ nowadays) and replace the stock hard drive of your laptop - and there you go, a very fast, responsive laptop for half the price.

If you don't have anything better to do with that saved 600$, then I would recommand the Pro version, 13" is enough and they have a good resale value - many college students who get one for school and don't need it/need money after 2-3 years. 

That being said, you could also even buy it second hand. ;)

go for pro

its more powerful, and will end up holding up better

personally, id just go for the new razer ultrabook, but then again thats me, feel free to ignore it

Get the Pro and use an external storage device or SD memory card or USB key.

EDIT: Though I would see if I could save up for the 256GB version.

I personally own the 15" Retina Macbook with the dedicated GPU.  Fantastic portable machine for office productivity, software development and video/photo editing.  It's part of my travel kit, away from my more powerful home workstation.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

thank you... I appreciate that, idk I just wanted to ask :P but thank you again.. 

No worries man. I love Mac's, and would never have left except I couldn't afford an iMac (girlfriend has one though) and needed more power than a laptop (also 3dsMax -_-). 

As stated above I would much rather see you go for an Asus Zenbook of sorts. It is identical to a Macbook in every way but the specs. You could always download OSX and have it installed if you prefer that over Windows.

i5-4690k | GALAX HoF 980Ti | MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | 2xHyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz | 2x240GB Kingston SSD in RAID-0 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | NZXT H440 | Corsair H75 | Corsair RM750

Do not go gentle, into that good night.

go for pro

its more powerful, and will end up holding up better

personally, id just go for the new razer ultrabook, but then again thats me, feel free to ignore it

The only helpful "get a PC" comment :P After a Mac, you will never be satisfied with PC build quality except for the current gen Surface(Book) or a Blade. Still, get the Pro  ;)

As stated above I would much rather see you go for an Asus Zenbook of sorts. It is identical to a Macbook in every way but the specs. You could always download OSX and have it installed if you prefer that over Windows.

Oh God I really don't want to start a war... But the Zenbook (while great) just doesn't have the same feel, and the support for running OSX would be near impossible, a hackintosh is crazy hard to do on a laptop.

The only helpful "get a PC" comment :P After a Mac, you will never be satisfied with PC build quality except for the current gen Surface(Book) or a Blade. Still, get the Pro  ;)

i got the blade pro and i love it oh so much

im never buying a non razer laptop ever again

i

What's the point of buying a Macbook for that?

I'm not a Mac hater, I use an iMac for work everyday and I love it. That being said, I only use one because it's unix based (makes programming and stuff like server management much more convenient) and I use some software that don't exist for Windows/Linux - I don't recommend paying that much for just a sleek look.

Save your money, go for something cheaper, a 400$ laptop will be more than enough for what you want to do. You can even buy a SSD (you can get a 500GB for like 150$ nowadays) and replace the stock hard drive of your laptop - and there you go, a very fast, responsive laptop for half the price.

If you don't have anything better to do with that saved 600$, then I would recommand the Pro version, 13" is enough and they have a good resale value - many college students who get one for school and don't need it/need money after 2-3 years. 

That being said, you could also even buy it second hand. ;)

i know what you mean... but i'm trying to go for like longevity and something that'll last me until life you know? something I won't get tired of... and also, the facetime features as well.. :)

Macbook Pro. I'm getting slayed for this, but the screen resolution and design of it. Fucking love it. And to top it all off, pretty good build quality and actual resale value.

and you'd get the flash drive/another ssd to go along to extend the ssd storage right? how do I do that?

i got the blade pro and i love it oh so much

im never buying a non razer laptop ever again

Yup, I have a Surface Pro 4 for the digitiser support for work, but I used a blade 14 for a while (borrowed from a friend) and maaaan its good.

i

i know what you mean... but i'm trying to go for like longevity and something that'll last me until life you know? something I won't get tired of... and also, the facetime features as well.. :)

Aah fair enough man :)

and you'd get the flash drive/another ssd to go along to extend the ssd storage right? how do I do that?

try this http://minidrive.bynifty.com/products/minidrive-r13

Edit: there are a few similar products, but this is the first on Google. They fit nice and flush and are great for mass storage. Kinda like a SSD+HDD in a desktop