Question about passive watercooling

Hi ... what if i would passive cool my cpu (with an custom loop) so without a rad or Fans ... so the only think that would cool the cpu is the cycling cooling Fluid ... I know the Temperatures would be cranking up like shit... but is it possible ?

The "cooling fluid" in water/liquid cooling doesn't actually do any cooling whatsoever; it just transports the heat from the part to your rad.  Without a rad, it would be like trying to passively cool your chip by just having the bare CPU and no heatsink at all

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Probably not in a load or heavy use case scenario, but the prospect of this would be quite interesting in a low power build. 

But I can't see passive water cooling being smaller than traditional passive cooling. 

No, because the heat is not being removed from the water, so your CPU would eventually overheat.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Hi ... what if i would passive cool my cpu (with an custom loop) so without a rad or Fans ... so the only think that would cool the cpu is the cycling cooling Fluid ... I know the Temperatures would be cranking up like shit... but is it possible ?

That wouldn't work since the heat needs to be transferred out of that fluid, you could theoretically run it into a large sealed fish tank which was tested by FakeGamerGuy who used a glass tank as a heatsink and way to radiate/dissipate heat into the air with the surface are of the glass.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385094-passively-cooled-fish-tank-computer/

There are also passive rads which basically have no fans but are much larger to acheive similar cooling:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p759_Alphacool-Cape-Cora-HF-1042-schwarz.html

That wouldn't work since the heat needs to be transferred out of that fluid, you could theoretically run it into a large sealed fish tank which was tested by FakeGamerGuy who used a glass tank as a heatsink and way to radiate/dissipate heat into the air with the surface are of the glass.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385094-passively-cooled-fish-tank-computer/

There are also passive rads which basically have no fans but are much larger to acheive similar cooling:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p759_Alphacool-Cape-Cora-HF-1042-schwarz.html

As long as we're just talking passive in terms of rad fans, it should be possible with a massive rad, but the point is that you still need one.  Just a loop of fluid will not work :)

And if we're going truly passive, that means no pump; the circulation is just caused by convection of the hot water.  That I believe would not be enough :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

As long as we're just talking passive in terms of rad fans, it should be possible with a massive rad, but the point is that you still need one.  Just a loop of fluid will not work :)

And if we're going truly passive, that means no pump; the circulation is just caused by convection of the hot water.  That I believe would not be enough :P

Yeah that would just be like having huge heatsinks with no fans like in aircooling, for the fish tank loop it still had a pump but used a huge res as the heatsink and impartial rad as a way to disspate heat through the glass into the air.