Could you use passive cooling to cool a water cooled PC?

So i just saw the review for the coolermaster haf stacker, i know a bit late. But i was wondering if it would be possible to have a passively cooled water cooled system, where you would potentially have 4 360mm radiators with no fans, all hooked up to the pump and computer itself. sorry i have only built a handful of computers and have never dipped my toes into water cooling yet, but i was still wondering if it would be possible as to have a near silent system with nothing audible running but the pump, and still get great temps. So what is your guys thoughts or opinions?

If the water is moving (Which it is in a water cooled PC) it is not passively cooled

^ Ditto

Also, the quietest of fans is quieter than the quietest of pumps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Alphacool Cape Cora and the Aquacomputer Airplex GIGANT are massive radiators meant to be used externally. So you can have a passively-cooled watercooled PC, just need either of the ones outlined.

airplex-gigant-3360-radiateur-watercooli

maxresdefault.jpg

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

So i just saw the review for the coolermaster haf stacker, i know a bit late. But i was wondering if it would be possible to have a passively cooled water cooled system, where you would potentially have 4 360mm radiators with no fans, all hooked up to the pump and computer itself. sorry i have only built a handful of computers and have never dipped my toes into water cooling yet, but i was still wondering if it would be possible as to have a near silent system with nothing audible running but the pump, and still get great temps. So what is your guys thoughts or opinions?

You NEED something to move colder air through the hotter fins. Or else the component will sadly only keep becoming hotter and hotter, up until they will throttle themselves down to nothing, or even shut down the system.

^ Ditto

Also, the quietest of fans is quieter than the quietest of pumps. 

Ya want to know what's quieter than the quietest fan? No fans at all :P

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Maybe with active ambient noise cancelling, it could be the other way around.  :D

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Maybe with active ambient noise cancelling, it could be the other way around.  :D

You also saw my post right? I tried active noise cancelling and it doesn't bode too well for me unfortunately. But for some that's a good solution.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Yeah moving water is by definition not passive.
But the answer is still no. Put simply, the water needs the fans to help move the heat from the water to the air. Noctua fans are super quiet though. Maybe pick up the ltt ones when they come back on sale?

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

You also saw my post right? I tried active noise cancelling and it doesn't bode too well for me unfortunately. But for some that's a good solution.

Link? I don't remember coming across that. 

The Alphacool Cape Cora and the Aquacomputer Airplex GIGANT are massive radiators meant to be used externally. So you can have a passively-cooled watercooled PC, just need either of the ones outlined.

Aquacomputer Airplex GIGANT 3360

Alphacool Cape Cora

I would personally not be comfortable using either of those configurations for any kind of extended use. And you would still have to use fans in the system, because you NEED some kind of airflow going through the case to keep components from frying themselves.

I would personally not be comfortable using either of those configurations for any kind of extended use. And you would still have to use fans in the system, because you NEED some kind of airflow going through the case to keep components from frying themselves.

Uhh that's what air circulation is for in your room, right?

If that doesn't help, hang that sucker out the window like what Linus did with his rad box for whole room water cooling.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Link? I don't remember coming across that. 

I have some images of the rads I posted. If you want links to the products, I'll give 'em to ya.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

If you use normal radiators it won't work well because the finns are way to close togther.

But if you use radiators designed for passive cooling it will work fine. But they allso will be quite big.

As for the pump: get one that is cooled by the water it pumps and wrap it with several layers of foam. But it's difficult to make it inaudiable.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

If you use normal radiators it won't work well because the finns are way to close togther.

But if you use radiators designed for passive cooling it will work fine. But they allso will be quite big.

As for the pump: get one that is cooled by the water it pumps and wrap it with several layers of foam. But it's difficult to make it inaudiable.

Which is what the Alphacool Cape Cora is designed for. I'm currently watching a review of the HF 442 and 642 by OC3D.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Uhh that's what air circulation is for in your room, right?

If that doesn't help, hang that sucker out the window like what Linus did with his rad box for whole room water cooling.

I'm just not sure how much it would help when you don't have AC, and ambient goes up to 30-35C in the summers. I would personally just go for a more normal water cooling setup and just grab quiet fans and run them as low as possible.

No you don't ive seen reviews of passive machines i personally wouldent use it though.

I'm using a setup as listed in my profile, with a MoRa3 and 9 NB fans mounted on the wall. I've configured my fan-controller that the fans just start spinning when the water-temperature gets over 29 degreeC. So the fans just start spinning very slowly when I'm playing GPU intense games for multible hours. But even with a MoRa3 the water heated up to 40 degreeC after some time in a completly fanless mode.

So I would say you have to buy fans for your radiators but you could configure them for different scenarios like desktop or small load where you will have silent operation and gaming where the fans will turn on (but I suppose you're using headphones while gaming anyway).

For a very quiet pump I can recommend the Aquacomputer Aquastream XT and a Shoggy sandwich. For me running it at 58hz it's not perceptible!

You NEED something to move colder air through the hotter fins. Or else the component will sadly only keep becoming hotter and hotter, up until they will throttle themselves down to nothing, or even shut down the system.

Maybe you could get some convection based cooling going, but it would just be stupid for the purposes of a PC.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Unfortunately there would still be slight pump noise. You could get a variable speed pump and turn it down, but unless you had fantastic airflow, or had the case in a very cold room, it would still start to heat up.