Interesting Question... Cobb Accessport Geek

Phillyfan112

Hi guys,

While this may seem like an incredibly out of the ordinary question.. It does relate to the techy side of things. I have a mini computer for my car and Its linked to someone else's car. I cannot use it on my car until its reset but theres no way to reset it unless I send it in to the company and pay money for it.

Now, since they are able to do it in some secret way, there has to be a way to do it at home. I am able to plug it into my computer so I could use my computer somehow but I don't really know what to look for.

Anyone have any suggestions on this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Give us a clue what you're working with.  Brand of cars?  Brand of computer?  What connection can you make?  How is it powered?  Photos???

Laws only govern the honest.

Give us a clue what you're working with.  Brand of cars?  Brand of computer?  What connection can you make?  How is it powered?  Photos???

My car is a 2014 WRX. I am working with a Cobb Accessport V2 and trying to use it to tune my car. the device is powered by a 9 pin cable and the other side plugs into the ECU on my car. there is also a usb port on it to plug into the computer. I am able to turn it on and use the monitoring settings on it but when I try to flash to a new map it tells me the Accessport is already paired with another car.

I am trying to figure out a way to NOT have to send it into the company and try to reset it myself but it seems super secretive. The geek side of me realizes that there is no mystical magic behind this. The little device has a circuit board and everything on the inner workings.

I'm thinking it has to do with some sort of unique identifier that is paired with a car when its first installed so when its trying to be used on another car, the identifier kicks in and says NOPE! It really can't be that difficult but finding out what to do, is...

When you connect the device to your PC, do you get anything like a COM port created in device manager? If so, I'd have a snoop about with PuTTY, see if there's anything to see. If not, what do you see when you plug it into the PC?

When you connect the device to your PC, do you get anything like a COM port created in device manager? If so, I'd have a snoop about with PuTTY, see if there's anything to see. If not, what do you see when you plug it into the PC?

I can connect it and I do see the device come up in device manager. However, I keep getting the windows chime that its being disconnected over and over again.

Are you providing external power to the device, or just the USB cable?

Might need some more juice? Either that or it's a protection system, could keep resetting after a certain amount of time to prevent nosy individuals? :) 

I'm trying to figure out how this happened in the first place. Was it already paired with another car when you got it, or is this a change? Did you cause the change if there was one? Did you get this device new, or did you get it used somewhere?

If you got it new, either from a 3rd party or from the place you got your car, I would push hard to get them to do this for free, or even better, exchange yours for a new one.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

I'm trying to figure out how this happened in the first place. Was it already paired with another car when you got it, or is this a change? Did you cause the change if there was one? Did you get this device new, or did you get it used somewhere?

If you got it new, either from a 3rd party or from the place you got your car, I would push hard to get them to do this for free, or even better, exchange yours for a new one.

I got it used from someone. It was paired with his car before I got it and it wasn't unmarried. Im okay with paying the 300 dollars to get it reset but it would be awesome to figure out a way to do it here for free. Cobb has a way to do it so I want to know if I can figure out how they do it at home. 

Are you providing external power to the device, or just the USB cable?

Might need some more juice? Either that or it's a protection system, could keep resetting after a certain amount of time to prevent nosy individuals? :)

Also Andrew, I don't think it needs more juice. It powers up either way with USB to computer and/or the ECU of the car. Maybe it needs to be plugged into the car and laptop at the same time?