Still dont get algebra

Overkilled

Schools have old text books and feed all kinds of "false" information to students.

It's honestly no better than YouTube.

And actually. Most teachers get their courses and their plans from online or YouTube and just mimic the plan...

The basics of maths don't change though. ( a+b )² = ( a+b )( a+b ) = a²+2ab+b²  - and that is the case whenever you learn maths, and from whichever resource you learn from.

Algebra is useless. Take physics, economics, electronics or something. The kind of math is more practical to what you actually use in life.

You won't get very far in physics, economics or electronics if you can't do algebra though.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Two things I hate in algebra the rest is fine:

Matrices

"Completing the square"

Make sure you understand matrices and all of the properties. It will simplify much more complex mathematics like differential equations, stochastic processes, and much more.

Geometry is boring and i find it harder than learning Algebra, be glad you're learning Algebra and not Geometry.

Sitting in a classroom for 6 hours a day learning math isn't fun.

Algebra is useless. Take physics, economics, electronics or something. The kind of math is more practical to what you actually use in life.

I have degrees in economics. applied/pure mathematics, electrical engineering, computer science, and statistics. Yes, no physics degree as I can't get my mind around some concepts even if I understand the mathematics. Mathematics is core to everything technical. Algebra is useful. One field is is extremely useful in is cryptography. Although you need more advanced algebra (abstract algebra).  Yes, you will use algebra in all the fields you mentioned too. Even in economics you will need to be able to compute the Pareto efficient point by using algebra to complete the square or foil or whatever.

Geometry is boring and i find it harder than learning Algebra, be glad you're learning Algebra and not Geometry.

Sitting in a classroom for 6 hours a day learning math isn't fun.

Geometry is fun. All of math is fun. Geometry is about actual things in the physical world and applicability everywhere. Maybe you should learn some topology. I find it even more fun!

Geometry is fun. All of math is fun. Geometry is actual things in the physical world and applicability everywhere. Maybe you should learn some topology. I find it even more fun!

Not in the way i'm learning it, some math is fun once it's easy to do but Geometry isn't one of them for me.

I have a degrees in economics. applied mathematics, pure mathematics, electrical engineering, computer science, and statistics. Yes, no physics degree as I can't get my mind around some concepts even if I understand the mathematics. Mathematics is core to everything technical. Algebra is useful. One field is is extremely useful in is cryptography. Although you need more advanced algebra (abstract algebra).  Yes, you will use algebra in all the fields you mentioned too. Even in economics you will need to be able to compute the Pareto efficient point by using algebra to complete the square or foil or whatever.

I agree with alot of your points, but I wouldn't even consider Algebra "useful" I'd say its essential. Algebra, being the basis of variability, more commonly known as "finding X", is a core concept in pretty much all applied forms of math... Yea I can't think of any field of math that doesn't use Algebra in some way shape or form. 

If any of you guys have 20m to burn, watch this video about Graham's Number: 

You get to learn about an advanced math concept, while having fun : D. Hopefully it'll give you a new look on higher mathematics. 

Not in the way i'm learning it, some math is fun once it's easy to do but Geometry isn't one of them for me.

Try to actually understand mathematics instead of trying to memorize as a step by step process. You can get by in elementary mathematics that way, but you will fall short when you get to more advanced topics. This is especially the case when you do proofs (not that proof stuff you do in high school geometry, which is pretty useless). "Once it is easy" - So you only like things that are easy?

Try to actually understand mathematics instead of trying to memorize as a step by step process. You can get by in elementary mathematics that way, but you will fall short when you get to more advanced topics. This is especially the case when you do proofs (not that proof stuff you do in high school geometry, which is pretty useless). "Once it is easy" - So you only like things that are easy?

No, just when you learn math well or the concept, it gets easier. 

No, just when you learn math well or the concept, it gets easier. 

Go seek help from a tutor at your school or a teaching assistant. When I was a TA I didn't mind going out of my way to help students who actually wanted to learn in lieu of asking me to essentially do their homework for them.

The reason people hate math and algebra so much, I think, is because it's given as a wall of text and mindless, pointless drivel that students "have to do" for "some reason", in a cold, unhelpful textbook which is supposed to be a "one size fits all" approach for teaching mathematics. It's bullshit and it doesn't work like that.

I forgot how to do trigonometry after my geometry class ended, nearly FOUR YEARS AGO. I know, it's embarrassing.

Now, in my current job, I use trigonometry to determine the true dimensions of a roof from a google maps view. At first I was at a loss, so I looked up how to use trig for this end. After finding the answer online, I applied it, punched the numbers into a calculator and all of a sudden I CAN DO TRIGONOMETRY. It's easy! It's so much simpler than I thought it was in high school with my teacher droning on about all sorts of nonsense! It's so quick, you just determine what it is you want to find out, sin/cos/tan the numbers and YOU HAVE DONE IT.

That's how I think math should be taught, is giving students real-world problems that affect something to solve, and then watching the effect it has. A real-world environment reinforces the concepts so much better than a drawling teacher on a caffeine crash.

The reason people hate math and algebra so much, I think, is because it's given as a wall of text and mindless, pointless drivel that students "have to do" for "some reason", in a cold, unhelpful textbook which is supposed to be a "one size fits all" approach for teaching mathematics. It's bullshit and it doesn't work like that.

I forgot how to do trigonometry after my geometry class ended, nearly FOUR YEARS AGO. I know, it's embarrassing.

Now, in my current job, I use trigonometry to determine the true dimensions of a roof from a google maps view. At first I was at a loss, so I looked up how to use trig for this end. After finding the answer online, I applied it, punched the numbers into a calculator and all of a sudden I CAN DO TRIGONOMETRY. It's easy! It's so much simpler than I thought it was in high school with my teacher droning on about all sorts of nonsense! It's so quick, you just determine what it is you want to find out, sin/cos/tan the numbers and YOU HAVE DONE IT.

That's how I think math should be taught, is giving students real-world problems that affect something to solve, and then watching the effect it has. A real-world environment reinforces the concepts so much better than a drawling teacher on a caffeine crash.

There are many fields where you can not just look up such and such and just plug and chug. You may need to develop your own techniques to solve a problem. When I was a statistics TA, I suggested this to the professor and gave student real world problems I made up. You know what? Every student struggled greatly with it and they all wanted back the book problems. Real world problems can be much more complex.

remembering formulas, but one thing I never liked is when your teacher writes a example on the board teaches you steps 1, 2, 3 and then jumps to the answer, but skips steps 4-9 and wants you to figure it out. Text book don't help either, it does the same stupid thing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list