Slow Window 7 boots time

Yongtjunkit

Hi,

My dad's pc is running Windows 7 oem. He complaints that his pc always been booting up slowly is due to all files at the desktop such as docx files, pictures, videos and programs shortcut.

The desktop is full of files and messy( would resolve this one day)

PC specs

Dell inspiron 580

Windows 7 oem

4gb ram

1tb 7200rpm hdd

I've compared it to my laptop with the following specs and it appears that my laptop is faster

Asus X550cc

Windows 10 single language ( windows 8 single language preloaded)

12gb of ram

750gb 5400rpm hdd

Note: Don't get confused with the both systems I need help with the boot time on my father's pc(dell).

Also windows 7 windows update is not as fast as windows 10 when checking for update.

-snip-

Deselect all the unnecessary programs in the startup. To do so you click on the start button, type in msconfig and press enter. Go to startup and then deselect the programs. After that delete all the unnecessary programs in the control panel. If it's still slow then do a fresh install of Windows 7 (or System Restore).

Best thing you can do is get an SSD PDQ for both systems trust me you won't look back...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Best thing you can do is get an SSD PDQ for both systems trust me you won't look back...

My laptop has a 750 GB 5400rpm hdd (windows 10)which boots up faster than my dad pc which has a 1tb 7200rpm(windows 7)

Go to taskmanager, then startup. Disable whatever you don't need.

That actually apply to windows 8 and above. Windows 7 is using ms config.

I'm trying to fix my dad desktop pc running window 7 not my laptop running Windows 10.

Will it work with Dell inspiron 580? It's prebuilt oem pc. I don't have a Sata power cable /splitter. I also don't have Sata data cable. The price of an ssd is expensive in Malaysia, so probably will use the ssd for os while hdd for the data(documents,music,etc).

Microsoft has improved boot speed with Windows 8+, and since Windows 8, it fully support UEFI, helping boost the boot speed even further.

Windows 10 has improved update system which can detect updates faster.

Common areas that causes slow down:

-> Startup programs.

-> Startup non-Microsoft poorly coded services.

-> Fragmented HDD.

go to the start menu and search for msconfig.

go to startup and disable whatever you don't need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also go to the startup folder in the start menu and delete the shortcuts to the program you don't need to start at startup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also go to computer

right click the system disk  (C: drive)

click on properties

under the general tab, click on Disk Cleanup. (it might also be under the tools tab)

(you can also defragment the system drive.)

Hi,

My dad's pc is running Windows 7 oem. He complaints that his pc always been booting up slowly is due to all files at the desktop such as docx files, pictures, videos and programs shortcut.

The desktop is full of files and messy( would resolve this one day)

PC specs

Dell inspiron 580

Windows 7 oem

4gb ram

1tb 7200rpm hdd

I've compared it to my laptop with the following specs and it appears that my laptop is faster

Asus X550cc

Windows 10 single language ( windows 8 single language preloaded)

12gb of ram

750gb 5400rpm hdd

Note: Don't get confused with the both systems I need help with the boot time on my father's pc(dell).

Also windows 7 windows update is not as fast as windows 10 when checking for update.

As you have OEM systems, open task manager and click start-up tab. Top right should have a last bios time (This is how long the bios took to post and load windows).

Next thing to do is to follow this: http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/find-your-computers-boot-time-in-windows-7/

This will tell you how long windows took to boot.

you can then make changes to bios/windows accordingly.

As you have OEM systems, open task manager and click start-up tab. Top right should have a last bios time (This is how long the bios took to post and load windows).

Next thing to do is to follow this: http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/find-your-computers-boot-time-in-windows-7/

This will tell you how long windows took to boot.

you can then make changes to bios/windows accordingly.

There's no last bios time in Windows 7

also go to the startup folder in the start menu and delete the shortcuts to the program you don't need to start at startup.

also go to computer

right click the system disk (C: drive)

click on properties

under the general tab, click on Disk Cleanup. (it might also be under the tools tab)

I've disabled half of the program in MSconfig, that's what I've did, a small difference.

The pc also appears to be slow as it took a while to launch google chrome from the taskbar. Compared to my Laptop running Windows 10.

also go to computer

right click the system disk (C: drive)

click on properties

Microsoft has improved boot speed with Windows 8+, and since Windows 8, it fully support UEFI, helping boost the boot speed even further.

Windows 10 has improved update system which can detect updates faster.

Common areas that causes slow down:

-> Startup programs.

-> Startup non-Microsoft poorly coded services.

-> Fragmented HDD.

defrag his disk if not done already.

The built in disk defragmenter takes forever, stuck at 17%.

Update : it appears to move again.

The built in disk defragmenter takes forever, stuck at 17%.

Update : it appears to move again.

Very fragmenetd, and THAT only simple defrag's the data. It doesn't do a deep defragmentation.

What's that? "Deep defragmentation" not only defrags files on the drive, but also sort them in a way, so that the data/files that is used, say for a program, is right next to each other, and the head of the HDD doesn't need to jump from beginning to end, and back to beginning and back to end, all the time, because data is scared all over the place. Having the head move all over the place in a HDD, is really what kills you, in terms of performance.

So how to Deep defrag?

Sadly there isn't any free solution that does that. BUT, Trial version of a software is all you need, as it also not something you need to do on a daily basis. My personal recommendation, is to have a look at O&O Defrag.

All you need to it once installed, is to click on the down arrow, right bellow the "Start" button and select: "COMPLETE/Access".

It must be noted that the process take HOURS. Like I am talking about potentially 8h. So you definitely want to disable sleep from your computer, and let it run overnight. But the performance increase is usually visible on the next reboot.

To accelerate the process, disable System Restore in Windows, and delete the restore points. Only Windows knows where the data is on the disk, and any other defrag tools thinks it is data that should be associated with files, and it ends up being moved around on the disk, and corrupts the system restore point (hence why I recommend to just delete them). Just don't forget to enable it back after, and force a manual restore point.

All the buttons to do this are simply in the System window (you know the window hat says basic system specs, Windows Experience Index (Win7), and if Windows is activated or not), then on the left side column, click on "System Protection". Here you can disable System restore point, and delete the points made. Restart your system to complete the process, start O&O defrag, and let it do its thing.

Here's my findings about how slow the system is, to me it appears to be quite slow.

This is how long it takes to launch google chrome and load the linus tech tips forum.

https://vimeo.com/152874425

How long does it take to open internet Explorer and load the linus tech tips forum.

https://vimeo.com/152874615

Playing music with Windows Media Player

https://vimeo.com/152874748

Playing music with vlc.

https://vimeo.com/152874795

Playing video with vlc

https://vimeo.com/152874895

The pc is 4% fragmented.

Percentage of fragmentation, is based on the entire drive. If most of it is empty... Well... No much would show fragmented, but the data can be super fragmented, scattered all over the place on disk.

Percentage of fragmentation, is based on the entire drive. If most of it is empty... Well... No much would show fragmented, but the data can be super fragmented, scattered all over the place on disk.

Installed the trial version of o&o defragmenter and it shows that it's 17.56% fragmented.

I thing there might be a lot of unnecessary services that the computer starts during startup.

Go to control panel

click on Administrative Tools 

Click on Services.

right click on the service you don't need to start on startup.

Under General, go to the drop down list next to startup type.

You can choose the service to be :

Automatic

Automatic (Delayed start)

Manual  (meaning that if something needs the service, it starts it on its own)

Disabled

Note: DONT touch important services like windows update and many others

Disable Scheduled defragmenting (or automatic defragmenting or something like that)

Also having a lot of files does not affect startup performance.

I thing there might be a lot of unnecessary services that the computer starts during startup.

Go to control panel

click on Administrative Tools

Click on Services.

right click on the service you don't need to start on startup.

Under General, go to the drop down list next to startup type.

You can choose the service to be :

Automatic

Automatic (Delayed start)

Manual (meaning that if something needs the service, it starts it on its own)

Disabled

Note: DONT touch important services like windows update and many others

Disable Scheduled defragmenting (or automatic defragmenting or something like that)

Also having a lot of files does not affect startup performance.

Have at least 15% of disk space free for Pagefile.sys

I haven't done that yet, probably an option after I've defraged my father's pc.