Ways to implement node.js on existing project/website?

I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but I can't find any information about implementing node.js on existing projects.

I have a website, and I want to implement some realtime update of some kind. And node.js looks like the right way to go...

It's a fairly big site so don't wanna start from the beginning...

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

Nodejs is a server side JavaScript runtime. So if your project needs to communicate with some kind of Applicstion server then node could be that server.

Nodejs is a server side JavaScript runtime. So if your project needs to communicate with some kind of Applicstion server then node could be that server.

Funny to say, I just learned about node.js not that long ago, so I don't have any knowledge about how to use it.

From my understanding, it needs it's own server to run, am I right?

Can I run it on my existing apache server?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K ( raped to 4.4Ghz) | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB | GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix

Case: Fractal Design DefineR3Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100 & 1TB Samsung Whatevs | Display(s): ASUS MG279Q1x Cheap LG Shit

PSU: Corsair HX650 or something | Cooling: Corsair H80i | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 | Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure | Sound: SoundBlaster Recon3D PCI-e

Funny to say, I just learned about node.js not that long ago, so I don't have any knowledge about how to use it.

From my understanding, it needs it's own server to run, am I right?

Can I run it on my existing apache server?

What exactly do you want to do with it? A realtime update sounds like you might want to try using websockets. Node is perfect for this.

You can run node on the same server, but through a different port (8080 for example). When the page is loaded via apache, you can have your client side JS connect to the node server on this other port using websockets.