What Setting to put for conventional SATA SSD?

JaZoN_XD
Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

ahh right i just remembered, the ahci stuff is SATA protocols correct? and since nvme is going through the pcie, you don't set anything that's related to ahci...etc. right?

That's right.

So after watching the video about NVMe on techquickie (on vessel), I learned that AHCI is pretty much for Harddrives, at least in the way Luke described it. I knew previously that AHCI isn't the best anymore, but I didn't know about the harddrive thing. Anyway, with that said, I have a simple Sandisk Ultra 2 480GB SSD and currently, my setting is set to RAID. Although I don't have any arrays, I use RAID mode because someone from somewhere said that it is basically AHCI but it provides RAID and also a bit better performance? So I want to know if that's true and if not, what should I use for a standard SATA SSD. Also, out of curiosity, what would you set your BIOS to if you were to be using an NVMe drive? Thanks.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

So after watching the video about NVMe on techquickie (on vessel), I learned that AHCI is pretty much for Harddrives, at least in the way Luke described it. I knew previously that AHCI isn't the best anymore, but I didn't know about the harddrive thing. Anyway, with that said, I have a simple Sandisk Ultra 2 480GB SSD and currently, my setting is set to RAID. Although I don't have any arrays, I use RAID mode because someone from somewhere said that it is basically AHCI but it provides RAID and also a bit better performance? So I want to know if that's true and if not, what should I use for a standard SATA SSD. Also, out of curiosity, what would you set your BIOS to if you were to be using an NVMe drive? Thanks.

Putting your SSD into "RAID" mode without using any RAID arrays will provide absolutely, literally, ZERO benefits over AHCI. It's literally just running in AHCI mode. Anyone who told you there was a performance boost was lying or misinformed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Putting your SSD into "RAID" mode without using any RAID arrays will provide absolutely, literally, ZERO benefits over AHCI. It's literally just running in AHCI mode. Anyone who told you there was a performance boost was lying or misinformed.

ayyy lmao! oh well. maybe, just maybe some time in the future i'll add another SSD for raid hahaha

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Umm no. You're just running it in AHCI. The only difference is that the RAID controller is (or can be) initialized during bootup which will only serve to slow things down.

Regarding the NVMe question, I suppose (please someone, correct me if I'm wrong) you can set the SATA controller in legacy IDE if you want. In any case, the NVMe drive won't be plugged into it. Catch my drift? It won't matter.

Umm no. You're just running it in AHCI. The only difference is that the RAID controller is (or can be) initialized during bootup which will only serve to slow things down.

Regarding the NVMe question, I suppose (please someone, correct me if I'm wrong) you can set the SATA controller in legacy IDE if you want. In any case, the NVMe drive won't be plugged into it. Catch my drift? It won't matter.

ahh right i just remembered, the ahci stuff is SATA protocols correct? and since nvme is going through the pcie, you don't set anything that's related to ahci...etc. right?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

That's right.