Cooler for an OC

Festive
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Would a NH-D15 be the best for this Cpu in terms of temps while OC'd

The NH-D15 is arguably one of the best air coolers but it comes at a heftier price tag and a lower value. If you have the extra cash to throw around, feel free to get it.

So for my upcoming build I will have an i7 4790k and I will be overclocking it. I'm not sure which cooler I should get that won't cost me 1.6 billion dollars. I was thinking either a 212 Evo or maybe a Dark Rock Pro 3 or maybe a Cryorig something or the other. Keep in mind, I do not care about noise, if it sounds like a fighter jet, I'll be fine. Thanks in advance!

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Cryorig R1 or H7

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Hypo 212 is a solid choice, it might not be great for an oc, id personally spend a bit more and get a liquid cooled one from corsair or coolermaster

Hypo 212 is a solid choice, it might not be great for an oc, id personally spend a bit more and get a liquid cooled one from corsair or coolermaster

But I need one for overclocking!!11!1!1oneone11!

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

But I need one for overclocking!!11!1!1oneone11!

A 212 Evo is fine for a moderate oc.

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A 212 Evo is fine for a moderate oc.

Where are you shopping/located?

North America/Newegg/Amazon/MicroCenter/Frys/Bestbuy. Anywhere.

•  

North America/Newegg/Amazon/MicroCenter/Frys/Bestbuy. Anywhere.

Kotetsu is good: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Alternatively the be quiet! Pure Rock isn't too bad: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V2326642

However it can really depend on where you are living, cause the Canadian dollar is pretty bad right now.

The OP is in the US.

The Kotetsu is a better value at a few bucks more. The Pure Rock performs similarly to the 212 Evo whereas the Kotetsu is in the 'better than 212 Evo' tier with coolers like the NH-U12S.

•  

The NH-D15 is arguably one of the best air coolers but it comes at a heftier price tag and a lower value. If you have the extra cash to throw around, feel free to get it.