I Want to Make an Episode Tracker

IvanSnipedYu

I'm currently a 1st year student at a college and am trying to be a computer science major. I'm currently learning MySQL (Relational Database and SQL). However, I have not taken any Visual Basic or other type of programming language courses yet (they were all full). However, I want to take this chance to get some experience. 

Here what I want to do:

I want to make a Show & Episode Tracker. Kinda useless I know, but I thought this would be a good place to start.

I want to make something like this but on PC using VB
575b24bdf9.png

3143f11c43.png

I'm not asking you to make something for me. I'm trying to ask someone to lead me down the direction I should be heading. You might tell me to read some book and learn how to use VB. I probably will, but even so I'm not sure what books are good (I also suck at learning with books). I will also be taking a course on this later on in my years in school. But, for now I'm just look to learn and a direction to head towards.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Why Visual Basic? Why not a more simple language first?

Sig under construction.

Why Visual Basic? Why not a more simple language first?

Is there a better programming language I should start with? I only choose Visual Basic because I'm planning on taking a Visual Basic course next school year.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Is there a better programming language I should start with? I only choose Visual Basic because I'm planning on taking a Visual Basic course next school year.

I would start with Python or something personally.

Sig under construction.

I would start with Python or something personally.

Hmmm... there is actually a course in my school on Python, but I never really put much thought on taking that course.  Maybe I should take Python before VB?

Hmmm... there is actually a course in my school on Python, but I never really put much thought on taking that course.  Maybe I should take Python before VB?

Definitely take Python over VB. For some reason lots of schools still use it as an introductory programming course, but I personally don't know anybody that actually uses it. If anybody does it's most likely to be corporate/business programming. If you want a career in the tech industry then Python is a better bet. I used to use Python at my old job at Imagination Technologies, and I know Google uses it for some stuff.

As for your problem, you'll want to look into Movie/TV Database APIs like http://www.omdbapi.com/ or https://www.themoviedb.org/documentation/api?language=en

You can pull data down using their APIs, and then, using your MySQL knowledge, maintain your own (local or remote) database which the Python app connects to.

...but I personally don't know anybody that actually uses it. 

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I'd start with writing either a proper description of what the end result you want your app to do, or writing us a clearer question. What type of show trakcer? Automatic reminders of show's about to air? Or marking episodes you have watched? And as far as the language... I honestly don't even know anyone who uses VB in 2016. I'd go with Python, or Web languages, implemented on a native platform such as Electron.

Whatever your end goal ends up being, good luck!

Java and fullstack web developer (JS). PM if you need major critical level support.

Beginners, please learn to debug your programs! --- If you're posting code, please use code tags!

I'd start with writing either a proper description of what the end result you want your app to do, or writing us a clearer question. What type of show trakcer? Automatic reminders of show's about to air? Or marking episodes you have watched? And as far as the language... I honestly don't even know anyone who uses VB in 2016. I'd go with Python, or Web languages, implemented on a native platform such as Electron.

Whatever your end goal ends up being, good luck!

My intention for the app was just to enter the name of a show and to be able to keep track of what episode I'm on.

For example, I'm currently watching Joe Walk Home. I want to be able to input that I'm episode 4 because that was the last episode I watched.

Have it show up as something like.

Joe Walk Home          4

Yes, it is probably easier to just write it down on a notepad. But that wasn't my intention. My intention was to get some coding experience :)