Can I go colder?

Megan

Currently my intel i5 4690K (4.5GHZ) is sat at 30 celsius and my dual GTX 960's are sat at 18 celsius, can I potentially get them colder? Or shall I just aim to keep them there? I'm using nothing but air cooling at the moment. 

I would use that headroom to go faster, not try to push for colder.   Those are very impressive temperatures for a room at 20 C ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well... Unless you go sub-zero you can't go lower than room temp.

If anything, adding a 240/280mm radiator MIGHT drop your CPU temps.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Currently my intel i5 4690K (4.5GHZ) is sat at 30 celsius and my dual GTX 960's are sat at 18 celsius, can I potentially get them colder? Or shall I just aim to keep them there? I'm using nothing but air cooling at the moment. 

Damn, under load?

I mean technically yeah, why/how on earth can you get them that cooll? :P

I would use that headroom to go faster, not try to push for colder.   Those are very impressive temperatures for a room at 20 C ;)

Tried OCing the GFX cards and all I got was nasty artifacting and 4.5GHZ is the fastest I can go stably, I can push it up to 4.6GHZ for about 80% stability and 4.8GHZ for 50% stability.

Well... Unless you go sub-zero you can't go lower than room temp.

If anything, adding a 240/280mm radiator MIGHT drop your CPU temps.

It is food for thought eh?

Damn, under load?

I mean technically yeah, why/how on earth can you get them that cooll? :P

Room temp is 10 celsius as of right now. :) 

Tried OCing the GFX cards and all I got was nasty artifacting and 4.5GHZ is the fastest I can go stably, I can push it up to 4.6GHZ for about 80% stability and 4.8GHZ for 50% stability.

I would go under water then, you could in theory get pretty close to that 10C ambient temp but not much lower than that 

You must be a human heater like me to stay warm in a room like that 

Pretty impressive missy  :P

Just a little. ;)

Room temp is 10 celsius as of right now.  :)

HOW THE BALLS CAN YOU TOLERATE THAT OMFG ARE YOU COVERED IN FUR LIKE A POLAR BEAR HOLY BALLSACKS

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

aha! I thought something was funny here...

Then add more voltage?  You've got the thermal headroom... is it near the safe limit?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would go under water then, you could in theory get pretty close to that 10C ambient temp but not much lower than that 

Pretty impressive missy  :P

I also cleaned my entire case today, re organised my fans to draw from the coldest air space and push it out too, currently I have a window near (but not above) the computer that trickles air straight down into the case where a fan sucks it straight in and hot air gets blown out into the same area so as hot air rises (and out the window) as cold air comes down, then during the day I have the air conditioning on.

Just a little. ;)

HOW THE BALLS CAN YOU TOLERATE THAT OMFG ARE YOU COVERED IN FUR LIKE A POLAR BEAR HOLY BALLSACKS

I'm used to the cold, I spend most of my day in 10-15C because I really hate heat haha.

aha! I thought something was funny here...

Then add more voltage?  You've got the thermal headroom... is it near the safe limit?

Honestly without someone to hypothetically hold my hand while I do it I don't feel safe OCing.

I also cleaned my entire case today, re organised my fans to draw from the coldest air space and push it out too, currently I have a window near (but not above) the computer that trickles air straight down into the case where a fan sucks it straight in and hot air gets blown out into the same area so as hot air rises (and out the window) as cold air comes down, then during the day I have the air conditioning on.

I'm used to the cold, I spend most of my day in 10-15C because I really hate heat haha.

Honestly without someone to hypothetically hold my hand while I do it I don't feel safe OCing.

I wish I was used to the cold, even though I live in Michigan. Granted, I like having things idle at 30/47, but I mean... Warm is nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

But, you've already overclocked the CPU up to 4.5 GHz (pretty high actually)... how did that happen? :)

Thats pretty great, glad to see another in the polar bear club lol 

You could probably bump the voltage up to 1.35-1.4v pretty safely, and see how high you can get a stable OC, then start bumping it down to as low as you can get it while staying stable

And you do have a GTX 480 @tmcclelland455

Your probably used to heat :P 

I wish I was used to the cold, even though I live in Michigan. Granted, I like having things idle at 30/47, but I mean... Warm is nice.

I just find it easier to put on some layers and sit comfortably on my chair than I do to be in less layers and in a warmer room, I have a weird thing about having a PC that is hotter than my body should be I guess?

You could probably bump the voltage up to 1.35-1.4v pretty safely, and see how high you can get a stable OC, then start bumping it down to as low as you can get it while staying stable

Yeah, GFX cards aren't something I feel educated on OCing right now. :P 

Go sit in a large freezer? Game in a parka xD

Don't tempt me haha.

But, you've already overclocked the CPU up to 4.5 GHz (pretty high actually)... how did that happen? :)

Mostly having a stab at the dark and following a rough guide, I'm not even certain I've done it perfectly right, see CPU-Z 

ewLJOTf.png

I just find it easier to put on some layers and sit comfortably on my chair than I do to be in less layers and in a warmer room, I have a weird thing about having a PC that is hotter than my body should be I guess?

Yeah, GFX cards aren't something I feel educated on OCing right now. :P

Don't tempt me haha.

Mostly having a stab at the dark and following a rough guide, I'm not even certain I've done it perfectly right, see CPU-Z 

Thats a pretty great OC honestly, especially with the temperatures your getting (for obvious reasons) 

ewLJOTf.png

Looks good to me.  Honestly if I were you I owuld be quite happy with it and would just leave anything, but if you want, you could probably bump it u to 1.3 v and get a couple extra 100MHz out of it (4.7 or 4.8 perhaps)

Thats a pretty great OC honestly, especially with the temperatures your getting (for obvious reasons) 

Looks good to me.  Honestly if I were you I owuld be quite happy with it and would just leave anything, but if you want, you could probably bump it u to 1.3 v and get a few extra 100MHz out of it

@ You both

I really want 5GHZ because when I was a kid I always thought 5GHZ would be out of my life time so being able to reach it would be quite the life achievement to me. 

@ You both

I really want 5GHZ because when I was a kid I always thought 5GHZ would be out of my life time so being able to reach it would be quite the life achievement to me. 

Bump it up to 1.35v and see how high you can get it 

You can try 1.4v if that doesnt do it, but I wouldn't recommend doing that 24/7 at all

@ You both

There's a chance the chip would do it but you would probably have to push near 1.4 v and that's into dangerous, possibly damaging territory I believe so I wouldn't, no matter how appealing it may be :)

Bump it up to 1.35v and see how high you can get it 

You can try 1.4v if that doesnt do it, but I wouldn't recommend doing that 24/7 at all

There's a chance the chip would do it but you would probably have to push near 1.4 v and that's into dangerous, possibly damaging territory I believe so I wouldn't, no matter how appealing it may be :)

That's pretty much why I won't do it, too many danger factors at this stage. 

My room doesn't like heat, even though I'm right over the furnace. Even then, my 480 runs cooler. :P

Hey, to each their own, amirite? Personally, I get hot kinda easy. And yet, I can go outside in sub -10C temps with a tshirt and jeans on and go shovel a driveway. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

My room doesn't like heat, even though I'm right over the furnace. Even then, my 480 runs cooler. :P

Hey, to each their own, amirite? Personally, I get hot kinda easy. And yet, I can go outside in sub -10C temps with a tshirt and jeans on and go shovel a driveway. :P

I don't mind the cold like that too, but if theres a fucking breeze I can't deal with that shit 

Feels 10x colder than it actually is

I don't mind the cold like that too, but if theres a fucking breeze I can't deal with that shit 

Feels 10x colder than it actually is

YAAAAAAASSSSSS 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just a little. ;)

10C is like April/May weather in Canada. It's like -15 right now. I'm fine with that kind of room temperature.