i7-4790K Vs. i7-6700K - Engineering CAD, FEA & CFD ?

Amyrro
Hello everyone

I have been searching about the latest in computer desktops, as I am planning to build my own rig for a coming project. My use of the machine is going to be basically focused on the analysis of fluid flow, and so, I will be using the machine to do a lot of Engineering CAD (Computer Aided Design), FEA (Finite Element Analysis), and above all CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics), which is very CPU-intensive when involving gas flow.

I was about to order the parts of the build, and just before that I went across some news from different websites (including Toms Hardware) regarding a bug in the Skylake processors, which causes them to crash under heavy calculation tasks (involving prime numbers). 

I have had some experience with intensive FEA tasks before, when i7 processors (1st or 2nd Gen, I am not sure) took an hour or a little more to finish calculating the results. 

In this CFD task, I am expecting heavier calculations. I might even end up running simultaneous FEA & CFD tests. I thought about 4th Gen i7-4790K, as I did not find a lot of talk about such bugs in it, plus it gives comparable (or slightly better) single threaded performance, and added to that, I could find some discounted pre-built rigs, as system builders are trying to clear out their stock for the new Skylake builds. 

Before the bug news, I considered i7-4790K for its price and performance, but leaned more towards the Skylake for better "future-proofing" (as some like to describe it), and the expected better support for Skylake with future technologies on the long term. 

My question is, after the this news, is it worth to take the risk and rely on an i7-6700K in my case, especially that I cannot wait for the fix for long time (I can wait for a month max). Added to that the fact I do not quite trust BIOS fixes, as I did not have pleasant experience with Samsung and HP and their BIOS fixes for hardware issues.

Sorry for the long thread

Regards

the issue with skylake will be fixed with a bios update

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I don't know too much of this software, but would a 5820K offer greater benefit? If so the platform can usually be had for around the same price as a Skylake platform 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Yea as above me... 5820k all day long, and Intel is even coming out with a new line of x99 chips so youll have room to upgrade later on

I have to agree with what others are saying i7 5820k x99 motherboard. It will really haul when you do cpu intensive tasks like 3d rendering, compiling, CAD, and fluid dynamics. Luke at luke from linus tech tips he built a desktop for cpu intensive tasks like boinc and folding

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

the issue with skylake will be fixed with a bios update

Thanks for your reply mate

The question is, when is the fix expected to come out ? How practical is it going to be, aside from the commercial take or corporations ?

As I mentioned earlier, I did not have a very pleasant experience with Samsung and HP fixes of hardware issues through BIOS fixes.

Is there going to be a better chance of a real fix with Intel ? 

Regards

The question is, when is the fix expected to come out ? How practical is it going to be, aside from the commercial take or corporations ?

As I mentioned earlier, I did not have a very pleasant experience with Samsung and HP fixes of hardware issues through BIOS fixes.

Is there going to be a better chance of a real fix with Intel ? 

Regards

That is their real fix

MSI already has the fix

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

For the price of a Skylake system you could build yourself a Haswell-E system with a 5820K.

You are right. However, the i7-4790K and i7-6700K are better than the Haswell-E in single-threaded performance, which I count on in CFD. Especially the clock speed, which is a major factor in this the single-threaded processing capability as you know.

Regarding the Skylake and the Haswell-E, do you ever think that going for the older Haswell i7-4790K is going to be worth it, due to is superior performance and lower price (about a 100$ cheaper than both, plus that I could  find some discounted pre-built rigs, which creates a larger price margin for the entire build).

Regards

I don't know too much of this software, but would a 5820K offer greater benefit? If so the platform can usually be had for around the same price as a Skylake platform 

The Haswell-E may provide higher reliability, which is a attractive in serious work. However, most engineering analysis packages, and more particularly CFD software, are still based on the old school principles, and do not offer the chance to exploit multi-cores. The single-threaded performance of a processor is a key factor in this. As you know, the clock speed is a key in determining the single-threaded performance of a processor, aside from the fact that both i7-4790K & i7-6700K score higher than the Haswell-E CPUs in the single-threaded performance benchmarks. 

Regarding the Skylake and the Haswell-E, do you ever think that going for the older Haswell i7-4790K is going to be worth it, due to is superior performance and lower price (about a 100$ cheaper than both, plus that I could  find some discounted pre-built rigs, which creates a larger price margin for the entire build).

Regards

You are right. However, the i7-4790K and i7-6700K are better than the Haswell-E in single-threaded performance, which I count on in CFD. Especially the clock speed, which is a major factor in this the single-threaded processing capacibility as you know.

Regards

Are you sure CFD relies on single threaded performance? From my experience with modeling, simple CFD, and FEA the more cores you have the quicker calcs will run. Although with ANSYS you have to purchase access to more cores within the program. I can't remember if educational licenses are fully unlocked, but in the professional world access to more cores over 2 costs $2500 per core.

EDIT: Autodesk CFD recommends a dual Xeon system...

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

The Haswell-E may provide higher reliability, which is a attractive in serious work. However, most engineering analysis packages, and more particularly CFD software, are still based on the old school principles, and do not offer the chance to exploit multi-cores. The single-threaded performance of a processor is a key factor in this. As you know, the clock speed is a key in determining the single-threaded performance of a processor, aside from the fact that both i7-4790K & i7-6700K score higher than the Haswell-E CPUs in the single-threaded performance benchmarks. 

Regards

If that is true that it relies on single threaded then get the Skylake 6700K. Its a newer platform, will last longer, its faster per hz than haswell and is using DDR4 whilst also providing more PCI lanes 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I feel an actual Xeon would be better for this or a higher set of Opterons.  However, the 5820k can handle more work loads with 6 cores and what? 12-threads?  It probably has a larger overall cache too in support of all of that.

The XEONs, and to less extent Haswell-E, may provide higher reliability, which is a attractive in serious work. However, most engineering analysis packages, and more particularly CFD software, are still based on the old school principles, and do not offer the chance to exploit multi-cores. The single-threaded performance of a processor is a key factor in this. As you know, the clock speed is a key in determining the single-threaded performance of a processor, aside from the fact that both i7-4790K & i7-6700K score higher than the Haswell-E CPUs in the single-threaded performance benchmarks. I count on the single threaded performance in CFD more, especially the clock speed, which is a major factor in this the single-threaded processing capability as you know. Thus, the extra cores and threads may not make a significant addition to the performance, while the cache might compensate little of the performance gap. 

Regards

Are you sure CFD relies on single threaded performance? From my experience with modeling, simple CFD, and FEA the more cores you have the quicker calcs will run. Although with ANSYS you have to purchase access to more cores within the program. I can't remember if educational licenses are fully unlocked, but in the professional world access to more cores over 2 costs $2500 per core.

EDIT: Autodesk CFD recommends a dual Xeon system...

You got the point. As far as I know, the license we have at our university allows access to a single-core only.

If it has better performance than get that, especially if it is going to be 100 bucks cheaper.  However, the DDR4 may or may not help you, so that might be something you want to research.

Other than the DDR4, my the main point in the Haswell is that it is an older technology, and I am not sure if it is going to be supported long enough. Any thoughts ?

DDR4 ram might add some marginal benefit, but it may not be significant. 

Regards

That is their real fix

MSI already has the fix

Interesting !

I checked their website and I did not find a clear mentioning of that. I may contact them

Thanks

I may be ignorant in this matter, but my impression would be that gas flow calculations would be greatly benefited by the superior parallel compute performance of a GPU?

I would go for the 5820k as everyone else suggested and just overclock it for the better single threaded performance. Clocking it to 4-4.4 GHz is a fairly easy task, will have the same single core performance as a 4790k, but has quad-channel DDR4 memory. This could help with the compute.

Just my two cents. I don't know much about these kinds of workflows, so ignore me if I'm wrong.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Neither, the 5820K and an X99-A will perform much better.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM