How to ssd?

Beeeyeee

so my grandpas computer is unbearably slow sometimes and we decided to get him an SSD. 

I've done plenty f windows installations and stuff, but I was wondering what the easiest way to transfer everything over is? its windows 10 BTW. 

can I use some sort of cloning software and move everything over? or would it be better to resintall windows and then move all the files over? 

If i do that though, how do I move the programs over? if i just copy them over, will they work fine?

I'd just do a fresh install and transfer the files and applications over. Easiest way.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

yeah, reinstall and move files

since the SSD is new, you can do this:

unplug old HDDs, plug in new SSD

plug in the USB drive that has windows 10 on it

boot from the USB

install windows on the SSD

when done installing, restart, install windows updates from the settings, then restart again

you can install any programs you want now

turn the PC off and plug in the old HDDs

take files from HDDs and put them on the SSD

format the HDD so its all clean, now you can use that as extra storage

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

AH yes, the age old question of "I just bought an SSD and I don't know how to move Windows and the rest of my crap over".

Honestly, I would just install Win 10 directly onto the SSD, plug the 2nd drive into the motherboard, and start transferring stuff over the SSD or leave everything on the first HDD and just have Win 10 on the SSD

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!