Razer Naga 2014 Edition first impressions

Anoyster

I got myself a new mouse today and it is the Razer Naga 2014 Edition and these are my initial impressions on the product based on one evening in use.

c4vejnY.jpg

Linus unboxing Razer Naga 2014 Edition

The mouse is a bit light for my tastes but the build quality feels solid despite the lack of weight. Left, right and middle buttons have light pressure point before actuating but not too much, I've had cases where especially the middle mouse button has been too heavy or too light and even though the Naga is on the lighter side I'd say not too much so. The thumb button grid feels really solid and the mechanical feedback is satisfying, personally the three buttons furthest and nearest from me all require some hand adjusting so I don't see myself using them too much. They are also so small that pushing them with the base of your thumb needs some care to avoid hitting multiple buttons. The notches in the scroll wheel could be a tad more pronounced but I've had it worse so it'll just take a little getting used to I'd assume.

The sensor tracks beautifully and is as accurate as some of the FPS focused mice I've tried which was a nice experience since I didn't expect such precision. The design is extremely comfortable for someone with smallish hands and uses a grip that's somewhere in between a palm- and claw grip. The mouse has an ever so lightly textured coating that I personally don't like the feel of but if it proves to be durable I'll take it over a soft touch coating that starts peeling off in a few months, otherwise I'd have gone with an even rougher texture or even the thicker rubber surface for the entire mouse that the Naga has for your pinkie which feels good and robust. Illumination is gorgeous green on the scroll wheel, Razer logo and the thumb buttons, it looks really sharp. The slippy pads on the bottom are very thin which has me worried that they won't last very long until the actual bottom of the mouse starts getting into contact with the mouse mat, hopefully they are durable because there really is no room for wear and tear on them.

It's also my first time experiencing Razer Synapse 2.0. The software is easy to use and has a user friendly interface with a wide sortment of customization options. Personally I only use two DPI settings on my mice and with the Synapse you can choose to have up to 5 and if you want separate buttons to cycle up or down or just cycle through with one button in either direction you want so I got to set it the way I want my on-the-fly DPI settings to be. What's unfortunate is that the mouse doesn't have build-in storage for your profiles I guess, so you have to have the Synapse running in the background for the Naga to remember your custom bindings but it does remember your DPI setting so I don't know what that is all about. Personally I'm always trying to cut-down on additional software running in the background so it is a nuisance for me.

So overall I have nitpicks but the features that matter the most (comfort, tracking, the thumb buttons) are all excellent. This is my first experience with a Razer mouse and I'm throughly impressed and it smashes my last MMO/RPG mouse which was the Corsair M95 that turned out to be a big waste of money. How it holds up in the long run is another deal entirely but after one evening I'm full on in the bandwagon for this mouse.

summer isnt even over and the first 2014 product is already on the market

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

summer isnt even over and the first 2014 product is already on the market

like cars and other things they always use the next year first.

like cars and other things they always use the next year first.

why not call it 2013 rev a?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

• 2 weeks later...

Great review, it will be my next mouse for sure with a glorious combination with a Razer Blackwidow. I have the first naga and with this new one I have a question about the scroll wheel, now you have 2 additional buttons, the left and right, aren't the fragile or sensitive? I had a logitech with this and those buttons didn't last long...

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M