Mac or Windows for beginner programmer?

sakibrb

I'm currently in my A levels and was thinking of building a pc with around $800 but in Quora I found an article saying that for programming mac would be best. Now I'm confused, I might be able to get a Macbook air at my budget but not sure what to get. I really don't know any programming and wanna take computer science in my university so wanted to get a head start in programming. So now what to get? Mac or Windows?

If you plan on learning through CS in post secondary education, I would recommend Windows. My buddy that is in CS uses Windows so I think my university is predominately Windows, and I would assume other schools are as well.

I would also use Linux. I know the CS department does use Linux in some computer labs.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Windows using Visual Studio. Learn C# then C++. Everybody who takes programming seriously uses Windows. (Except when they need to port certain things to Mac).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't wanna get linux for now I'm more of an gui user.

If you plan on learning through CS in post secondary education, I would recommend Windows. My buddy that is in CS uses Windows so I think my university is predominately Windows, and I would assume other schools are as well.

I would also use Linux. I know the CS department does use Linux in some computer labs.

I'm doing CS but we're learning Java. it works on both mac and PC but uni teaches C++ and C.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

For now I'm thinking java would be best as a beginner language and then python or php

I'm doing CS but we're learning Java. it works on both mac and PC but uni teaches C++ and C.

I would assume either OS will be fine, but I can't be positive because software/CS is not my forte.

OP, why don't you get on your university's website and see what your CS department prefers? If you can't find that, call/email and ask.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

For now I'm thinking java would be best as a beginner language and then python or php

Java is best option because you learn some C++, Java is multiplatfrom.. and later I think you should learn C Languages

Windows using Visual Studio. Learn C# then C++. Everybody who takes programming seriously uses Windows. (Except when they need to port certain things to Mac).

That's not a fair assessment of programmers, mate.

I'm currently in my A levels and was thinking of building a pc with around $800 but in Quora I found an article saying that for programming mac would be best. Now I'm confused, I might be able to get a Macbook air at my budget but not sure what to get. I really don't know any programming and wanna take computer science in my university so wanted to get a head start in programming. So now what to get? Mac or Windows?

What kind of programming languages would you be interested in? Some are Windows Exclusive (on the desktop OS side of things) some are mac exclusive and very few work between both.

I would suggest starting out trying C# on Windows then when you're more comfortable try out C++.

Java is becoming obsolete unless you're making Android apps. There's  no reason to pick it. It's very high level (computer does most of the work for you) but it means that you can't do as much with it compared to low level languages (which humans do most of the work).

What do you want to make with the programming knowledge? E.g. Android apps, Win32 programs, Windows Runtime apps, make websites, etc

That's not a fair assessment of programmers, mate.

I think it is. Well at least programming side for game development.

Linux M8

get Arch running with GNOM3 and life is good

I'd start with python

then again I HATE java for... reasons

seriously java need to stop being a thing

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Java is becoming obsolete unless you're making Android apps. There's  no reason to pick it. It's very high level (computer does most of the work for you) but it means that you can't do as much with it compared to low level languages (which humans do most of the work).

Universities like to teach intro java because it encompasses aspects of coding and topics that can be explored using java. Being fairly simple to code also helps with this. A lot will carry over into many other languages. Java is becoming obsolete, but it is still a pretty good intro language for those seeking to advance in CS. 

I would advise that if the OP is interested in a CS degree to seek what intro programming language you will be taught and play with that for awhile - but not long enough to develop bad habits. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Build a pc. Run a hackintosh rig. Save yourself like $1000 dollars.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Build a pc. Run a hackintosh rig. Save yourself like $1000 dollars.

WOAH WOAH. Stop. He should make a hackintosh machine which can dual boot! Best of both worlds.

What kind of programming languages would you be interested in? Some are Windows Exclusive (on the desktop OS side of things) some are mac exclusive and very few work between both.

I would suggest starting out trying C# on Windows then when you're more comfortable try out C++.

Java is becoming obsolete unless you're making Android apps. There's no reason to pick it. It's very high level (computer does most of the work for you) but it means that you can't do as much with it compared to low level languages (which humans do most of the work).

What do you want to make with the programming knowledge? E.g. Android apps, Win32 programs, Windows Runtime apps, make websites, etc

I think it is. Well at least programming side for game development.

I do want to be able to make android apps in the future I guess.

WOAH WOAH. Stop. He should make a hackintosh machine which can dual boot! Best of both worlds.

Yeah, so pc master race it is !!

Thanks all, now about the language a lot of people suggested me java for obvious reasons. That's why I decided to learn java first, C is too complicated for me atm, from what I hear.