Corsair Air 240 CPU Cooling?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

hmmm you are right. i just looked up the dimensions of them, they are too tall. the noctua nh-u9s is 125mm (ive read that a 130mm cpu cooler can fit in the 240). is that able to achieve what i want for overclocking or is the h100i gtx the better option?

The H100i gtx would perform better but not worth the extra money imo--you might as well get an i7 instead with that money. The NH-U9S would fit and should be enough cooling. 

i have just ordered a corsair air 240. i have tried researching this best i can, with the result of confusion.

i will be having an ITX mobo with z170 chipset in the 240; along with the 6600k cpu that i will want to try and overclock it to around 4.6

what i am trying to figure out is what the best way cool the cpu while not raising temperature with the GPU too much in the case. im debating between the corsair h100i gtx, be quiet pure rock, noctua nh-u12s.

lastly, i do want to keep the noise down as much as possible. i read that the h100i gtx can be very loud, but i am not sure how true that is.

what cpu cooling solution is best to overclock in the corsair air 240, while keeping the noise down in the case?

thanks.

i have just ordered a corsair air 240. i have tried researching this best i can, with the result of confusion.

i will be having an ITX mobo with z170 chipset in the 240; along with the 6600k cpu that i will want to try and overclock it to around 4.6

what i am trying to figure out is what the best way cool the cpu while not raising temperature with the GPU too much in the case. im debating between the corsair h100i gtx, be quiet pure rock, noctua nh-u12s.

lastly, i do want to keep the noise down as much as possible. i read that the h100i gtx can be very loud, but i am not sure how true that is.

what cpu cooling solution is best to overclock in the corsair air 240, while keeping the noise down in the case?

thanks.

Noctua for air cooling

H100i GTX or Kraken X61 for AIO - just set a custom fan curve...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

What GPU? It is a very narrow case, and I've had a lot of issues with the wide MSI coolers. (Specifically the GTX 970 MSI). The case is very narrow.

Other than that, its fantastic for cooling and great, but just be carefull with any wide coolers and long AIO radiators as it is a very small case.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

I would say the noctua nhu 12s. It can be quieter than h100i and similar thermals(A few degrees in some cases), and you could save the extra money going with noctua.

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

What GPU? It is a very narrow case, and I've had a lot of issues with the wide MSI coolers. (Specifically the GTX 970 MSI). The case is very narrow.

Other than that, its fantastic for cooling and great, but just be carefull with any wide coolers and long AIO radiators as it is a very small case.

Currently, I will be using an AMD R9 285x as a temporary card. Once AMD Polaris or Nvidia Pascal comes out, I will get whatever is better and use that this year. I wont have any HDD's in it or SSD's mounted. I will be having the samsung 950 m.2 on the back of the mobo.

I am surprised how quickly people have responded. thanks for the input from all!

I would say the noctua nhu 12s. It can be quieter than h100i and similar thermals(A few degrees in some cases), and you could save the extra money going with noctua.

So, you don't think that would have a problem with the cpu temperatures going too high to achieve a 4.6-4.7 overclock?

The NH-U12S and Pure Rock both don't fit into the Air 240. The case only has clearance for cpu coolers up to 120mm tall. The only cooler listed in the OP that fits is the h100i gtx. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The NH-U12S and Pure Rock both don't fit into the Air 240. The case only has clearance for cpu coolers up to 120mm tall. The only cooler listed in the OP that fits is the h100i gtx. 

hmmm you are right. i just looked up the dimensions of them, they are too tall. the noctua nh-u9s is 125mm (ive read that a 130mm cpu cooler can fit in the 240). is that able to achieve what i want for overclocking or is the h100i gtx the better option?

The H100i gtx would perform better but not worth the extra money imo--you might as well get an i7 instead with that money. The NH-U9S would fit and should be enough cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've been research this myself today, since I recently purchased an Air 240 and 6700K.

Originally I bought an H100i GTX, but then I decided to Google about water cooling leaks and now I'm paranoid something will go wrong and ruin my entirely new system, so now I am looking for a good air cooler. lol

The best I've found so far is the Noctua NH-C14S. It has a height of 115mm or 142mm. It's 115mm when you mount the fan under the fins and 142mm when installed above the fins.

It also has a good TDP for what they consider medium overclocking potential. You can read about this on their site, since they link to it on every cooler page.

The only thing I dislike about Noctua is that horrible color they use for fans, so I may swap to another that has a red LED.

Anyways, hope this helps you make a decision.