Microsoft Surface Pro (Should I get It or not?)

My mum needs something portable and light for her work and the Microsoft Surface Pro came to my mind. Is this a good choice? If not, please explain why and recommend me a device that is portable and light, it can be either a ultrabook or a tablet. The price range is $1000.

ultrabook with touchscreen, much better for the price, unless you somehow just LOVE tablets

Any recommendations?  

Is it just for light office work?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Acer Aspire S7-392 or new MacBook Air. They are better for the money and are equipped with Haswell processors.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Is it just for light office work?

Yeah. She doesn't need anything powerful. I would preferably get a powerful tablet or ultrabook though. 

Yeah. She doesn't need anything powerful. I would preferably get a powerful tablet or ultrabook though. 

Where to shop though? I'm not sure since you're in Australia. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Where to shop though? I'm not sure since you're in Australia. 

Pccasegear, PLE, Austin computers, Harvey norman, JB HI FI and The Good Guys. 

Pccasegear, PLE, Austin computers, Harvey norman, JB HI FI and The Good Guys. 

Vivobook and replace the hdd with a ssd?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=23232

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-drive-px256m5s

Is she planning on using the stylus that comes with the Surface Pro? If so, I don't think there is much else that has that functionality. Also, if she doesn't need it immediately, waiting for the 2nd-gen Surfaces is a good idea.

I have the Surface Pro and I got it as my first laptop (im in high school). The only reason I bought it is because my dad got a great discount at which it was a good deal for something with those specs. Now the SPro is not a bad device at all, but its problem is the price. At $1000 you can get a much much better system. My friend recently bought an Acer aspire s7 from the MS store for a little more than $1000 (after the student discount) and i believe it is one of the best regarded ultrabooks at the moment (also linus' personal favorite). I am extremely jealous of him.

if you are wanting to get a surface pro i would suggest to wait for gen 2. Haswell will bring much improvement to the device in terms of graphical performance and battery life.

Again, the surface is not a bad device, I LOVE mine, however for the price its not a good deal.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Thanks for your input guys :) I think i'm leaning towards the Acer Aspire S7 392-6411.