Upgrading a secondary gaming rig/HTPC

Hello Everyone,

I've decided that I want to move forward with an upgrade or maybe side grade depending on how you look at it, on my secondary gaming rig/HTPC.  First and foremost, the system is primarily used on a 120" projector home theater system at 1080P.   This is for gaming and movies and such.  With that said, I went ahead and sold the Core i5 4590, Gigabyte H97-D3H and the DDR3 memory as a bundle in order to put some funds together for this change.

I am going to buy everything as I normally do from my local microcenter.  I have been looking at the 6600k with 8gb of DDR2400 ram with a possibility of one of the two following motherboards:

1.  Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 (Possibly a bit on the higher end of the budget I want to stay within, but I can make this work)

http://

2. Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H (A $40 savings on the budget when bundled with the 6600K)

http://

What I am looking to do is be able to overclock which my previous setup really didn't allow me to and kind of keep up with modern tech.  This system will not be upgraded nearly as often as my main X99 system, so it needs to be a bit more functional than its predecessor.  I won't be using the onboard sound cards of either system on the projector as that will come through HDMI to my AV receiver.  I would also like to keep it as functional as a full on gaming machine should my main rig go down and I could throw my 980 TI's in or what have you.

The components that will be joining the new core are as follows:

- EVGA GTX 980 FTW
- 240 GB Crucial BX100 SSD / Spin Drives
- EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650 Gold Modular PSU
- Corsair GTX 100i
- Corsair Air 240 (reasoning for the mATX board choice)

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

But really, the 4950 is already so overkill for a HTPC/GAMING build.

^

The thing next to prolly upgrade is the display device, getting 4k 30 fps on games that play better on a TV is awesome to have :D.

Well, the machine also needs to be a fully functional backup to my main rig.  Especially if I do some work traveling the cube will come with as the X99 is too big.

I am leaning towards the gaming 5.

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535