Air Flow with 212 EVO

Shad_Stang

What I want to do is overclock my i5-750 with the 212 EVO cooler. I checked the height dimension for my GMC R4 Bulldozer (don't buy the case!) and it will barely fit in. (162mm from mobo to top of case panel)

I've attached an MS paint PNG of my configuration. I plan on moving my 90mm on the side of my case to one of the holes of the 120mm empty slot on my side panel so I can fit my 212 EVO.

So this means when I install the 212 EVO the cooler fan will most likely be over the RAM. The image shows little space between the RAM and my mounted drives.

Will this be a sufficient setup for overclocking my CPU? Should I instead invest in a corsair liquid cooler like the H60?

Is it okay to move my side intake fan down to fit the cooler?

Thanks for the help!

post-245479-0-24578100-1452662071_thumb.

What I want to do is overclock my i5-750 with the 212 EVO cooler. I checked the height dimension for my GMC R4 Bulldozer (don't buy the case!) and it will barely fit in. (162mm from mobo to top of case panel)

I've attached an MS paint PNG of my configuration. I plan on moving my 90mm on the side of my case to one of the holes of the 120mm empty slot on my side panel so I can fit my 212 EVO.

So this means when I install the 212 EVO the cooler fan will most likely be over the RAM. The image shows little space between the RAM and my mounted drives.

Will this be a sufficient setup for overclocking my CPU? Should I instead invest in a corsair liquid cooler like the H60?

Is it okay to move my side intake fan down to fit the cooler?

Thanks for the help!

wow you put a lot of effort into this. Anyways a 212 evo in you case can do some light overclocking but dont expect to have good tempps especially on a chip from that era. DO NOT get the h60 ive just seen so many vids saying its complete shit.

i reccomend a nzxt kraken x31 or maybe a h75 or h90. you could mod th case with some holes to fit a 140mm cooler like the x41 because it performs veryy good.

Your planned config looks good. If you have extra cash, get 120mm cooler to replace that smaller one. Side placement near GPU is bit debated whether it should be intake or exhaust. Try with intake (remember dust filter) and change it to exhaust if you aren't happy with GPU temps. CPU should be fine with just front intake anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Your planned config looks good. If you have extra cash, get 120mm cooler to replace that smaller one. Side placement near GPU is bit debated whether it should be intake or exhaust. Try with intake (remember dust filter) and change it to exhaust if you aren't happy with GPU temps. CPU should be fine with just front intake anyway.

I'd also lean towards a side intake, the bigger  the better.

In his situation - with both the rear fan and the PSU as a top exhaust I'd be concerned about a side panel exhaust - it could end up stealing most of the cool air coming in from the front intake, witht the exhaust pulling their own air supply from the drive area.

The 212 EVO is not bad at all for mild-medium overclocks, but like every other air cooler, it needs a good supply of cool air to work well.

I've seen plenty of people on the amazon, etc., say that they have gotten 4GHz (from 2.7) using the 212 EVO. From what I am reading here it looks like I won't go anywhere near, I'll still try, I am aiming for 65C under load for my OC.

Would I just need clean air by the 212 EVO fan/RAM? Doesn't my front intake provide that?

My mindset is to use all the life left of my i5 750 until I am ready to build another rig. I can surely afford a new rig with Skylake, GTX 970, and a H100i now. Though there is nothing wrong with my rig now so no need to upgrade.

I've seen plenty of people on the amazon, etc., say that they have gotten 4GHz (from 2.7) using the 212 EVO. From what I am reading here it looks like I won't go anywhere near, I'll still try, I am aiming for 65C under load for my OC.

Would I just need clean air by the 212 EVO fan/RAM? Doesn't my front intake provide that?

My mindset is to use all the life left of my i5 750 until I am ready to build another rig. I can surely afford a new rig with Skylake, GTX 970, and a H100i now. Though there is nothing wrong with my rig now so no need to upgrade.

The front intake should be fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.