iPad Pro “always going to be a companion device,” says Microsoft

VAkena

there is some idiot kid that bought it my school and he brags about it when I can buy a surface pro and run a full desktop for less

Im one of the few people that likes the iPad pro, and for all my uses outside of AAA gaming and adobe suite (though technically I could do it on there with the right software) it would do the job

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The iPad pro would need a real OS..... well and enough space to actually FIT a real OS plus productivity software.

Since it does not have that, it is a useless piece of art. Yes, it looks nice. Untill you turn it on and try to actually do something meaningful.

The Surface Pro and Surface Book let you do your work on the go. If you need more power, you will likely get a full desktop. I really see no space for the iPad pro tho.

Too big and expensive for a common home user, but useless for anyone trying to work.

• 2 weeks later...

They're not wrong, but I can see some people using the iPad Pro as their main device.

I don't know why they would do that though.

Because they think they can get a lot of stuff done on iPads (100% not true).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I actually just got a SP4, because I can run my full apps on it. I need Photoshop and Illustrator, and IOS doesn't have anything close. I'd prefer the iPad, for its lack of firmware issues, for its not broken display (SP4 is being exchanged literally in an hour for a new one), and dat battery life but several pro apps have said they won't build full versions of their software for the iPad. Why? Because there's a lot of work involved in recoding it for the iPad, and because the idea that apps are <$5 is too ingrained. People are unwilling to spend $200+ on an app.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Of course it's going to stay a companion device. Unless Apple decides to make it run a desktop OS a la Microsoft's surface, then it becomes a laptop replacement.

Right now, it's running an operating system meant for mobile devices, plus the OS is so restricted. The iPad pro is just an over-sized tablet at this point. 

For me, it wasn't so much an issue of restriction as compatibility. Can I run Photoshop or equivalent? No. Its the same story with most of my work applications. The app support isn't there, and likely never will be since there will never be a return high enough to interest Adobe etc (plus Microsoft has a partnership with Adobe on Surfaces). The iPad Pro was killed by the App Store that fed Apple the funds to create it.. Sad really.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti