Need help deciding Ethernet or Fiber for exterior run

brwainer
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

The AP in question actually has an SFP port available, as does the switch I would connect to. All costs including the SFPs for Fiber or the Surge Protectors and grounding hardware for Ethernet have been included.

For surge protection unless your running out and tapping into another building or your place is a duplex it would be good to have surge protection but not 100% needed. Most times Ethernet surge protectors are used for aerials or exterior AP's which can potentially get struck by lighting. For underground and I assume running along the house an exterior grade cable that is sealed/potted with gel and extra insulation is all that is needed if your going for direct burial, however having it in a conduit is always a plus. 

I'm planning a new project to add a wired connection to out living room, which is currently connected using Powerline and is the lication of one of our APs. While I'd prefer to do the wiring through the walls, that's not feasible for this project. What I need help deciding on is should I go Ethernet or Fiber for this exterior run?

Ethernet, using Direct Burial ethernet cables:

Pros: only requires protective conduit for the portion coming out of the wall and into the ground. I can reterminate the wire as needed.

Con: Requires Surge Protectors on each end.

Total cost: $150-$160

Fiber, using Armored Direct Burial 6 fiber bundle

Pros: would give me three pairs to work with, which is way overkill. Doesn't require any conduit at all. Doesn't need surge protection.

Cons: must order 50' when only 35' is required (actual outside run is 25'). I can't reterminate the fiber.

Cost: $300-$350

Fiber, using standard patch cables and full conduit

Pros: doesn't require surge protection

Cons: must be protected the entire distance. I can't reterminate the fiber.

Total Cost: $175-$200

I'm interested in any additionally Pros/Cons or thoughts on this type of project.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

-SNIP-

If your are doing this just for an AP then ethernet is your best option since you will not require an interface to go between fiber and ethernet since this looks to be a fairly short run you won't have problems with distance.

Buy regular ethernet cable, run through PVC pipe, save ton of money cause you don't have to bury it and if you do you don't need to buy a special cable.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Use Ubiquiti ToughCable and you'll be fine

If your are doing this just for an AP then ethernet is your best option since you will not require an interface to go between fiber and ethernet since this looks to be a fairly short run you won't have problems with distance.

The AP in question actually has an SFP port available, as does the switch I would connect to. All costs including the SFPs for Fiber or the Surge Protectors and grounding hardware for Ethernet have been included.

Use Ubiquiti ToughCable and you'll be fine

I would still need to install surge protectors and grounding hardware. Ubuiqiti Tough Cable is just a brand name for shielded direct burial cabling. You have to ground both ends if not using Ubuiquti hardware or something used with builtin shielded connectors (with Ubuiquiti hardware you still have to ground the hardware itself on each end).

Buy regular ethernet cable, run through PVC pipe, save ton of money cause you don't have to bury it and if you do you don't need to buy a special cable.

In that case the costs amount to basically the same as standard fiber through conduit - the big cost factor is the need for ethernet surge protectors on each end.

For surge protection unless your running out and tapping into another building or your place is a duplex it would be good to have surge protection but not 100% needed. Most times Ethernet surge protectors are used for aerials or exterior AP's which can potentially get struck by lighting. For underground and I assume running along the house an exterior grade cable that is sealed/potted with gel and extra insulation is all that is needed if your going for direct burial, however having it in a conduit is always a plus. 

Ok thanks I was being overly cautious since I wasn't sure. It is going to be along the base of the house the whole way.

An advantage to using conduit is you can add more cables and/or fibres more easily. When you run a cable through, run an extra piece of string with it, which can be used to pull the second cable (and a piece of string for the third cable, etc.).