Need a new AM3+ CPU

Go to solution Solved by Benji_w,

Why would anyone use air cooling on that in the first place?! I would never consider that unless it was a couple years ago and I had a $1000 on hand :D

You can air cool the 9590 but you need fast fans and a beefy cooler, get yourself a 8370E, thank me later.

I understand that half the people that see this are going to say,"Just go Intel." I understand that would be better, but I simply don't have the money, and won't have that kind of money for a very long time. I just got a new motherboard, and that is that. I don't want to be spending a butt load more than I have to.                                

Deal with it. 

Now with that out of the way, I picked up an MSI SLI Krait Edition motherboard, since I wanted a good spot to start upgrading. I currently have an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T, which is very slowly dying. That chip has been a champ and still is now, but I don't know how long it's going to hold out. The temperature is starting to get warmer and warmer on idle, and I know it's the chip, not the cooling solutions.

I want an eight-core, to put it simply. I know there is almost no difference between the FX-8320 and the FX-8350, for example. I want to know what is the opinion of other users, not just myself. I want to know the majority vote of what eight-core CPU would be the best for my dollar(including ALL AMD eight-core processors, not just the 8320 & 8350.) It is much appreciated for those who help out. Thanks again!

The best for your money is the 8320, then overclock it (not with the stock cooler). The 8350 is just an OCd 8320, and the 9590 is outright ridiculous.

EDIT: As others have said, go for the "e" version. Lower power draw will be easier on your board. 

just go with the  8320because I'm stupid and other peoples suggestions

and again, we obviously adivse you go with Intel however you don't want too, The Krait I've heard is a horrible board for AM3+ CPU's 

I understand that half the people that see this are going to say,"Just go Intel." I understand that would be better, but I simply don't have the money, and won't have that kind of money for a very long time. I just got a new motherboard, and that is that. I don't want to be spending a butt load more than I have to.                                

Deal with it. 

Now with that out of the way, I picked up an MSI SLI Krait Edition motherboard, since I wanted a good spot to start upgrading. I currently have an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T, which is very slowly dying. That chip has been a champ and still is now, but I don't know how long it's going to hold out. The temperature is starting to get warmer and warmer on idle, and I know it's the chip, not the cooling solutions.

I want an eight-core, to put it simply. I know there is almost no difference between the FX-8320 and the FX-8350, for example. I want to know what is the opinion of other users, not just myself. I want to know the majority vote of what eight-core CPU would be the best for my dollar(including ALL AMD eight-core processors, not just the 8320 & 8350.) It is much appreciated for those who help out. Thanks again!

A few things:

1. Budget

2. Pretty sure the MSI SLI Krait Edition is an Intel motherboard...

3. The AMD FX-83x0s all perform relatively the same, the higher the number, the faster the clock and higher the heat. 

4. Why the aversion to Intel? You may not have the budget right now, but the fact is that for $225 USD one can get an I5 that won't bottleneck a 980ti in gaming. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

and again, we obviously adivse you go with Intel however you don't want too, The Krait I've heard is a horrible board for AM3+ CPU's 

No, it's just that boards that don't support 220W CPUs are horrible for 220W CPUs.

Go for the FX-8320E, a 95W chip binned for better efficiency.

Nope, there's an AM3+ 970A board. 

http://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/970A-SLI-Krait-Edition.html#hero-overview

Doesn't support SLI though...

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it does. Just not shown on the summary. 

Ah, I see. the Board named "MSI SLI Krait" is an intel board.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Deal with it. 

8370E and overclock to 5ghz without lighting you house on fire.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

It's horrible for the 9590 in-particular, which is just ridiculous in how much power it consumes and the heat it outputs. 

No, it's just that boards that don't support 220W CPUs are horrible for 220W CPUs.

Go for the FX-8320E, a 95W chip binned for better efficiency.

ah, so it fried the VRM's correct? 

X6 1045T? Gettin a new AM3 CPU isn't worth it over that

How exactly is it "slowly dying"?

AM3 processors are compatible with AM3+. I got the Phenom for free a year ago, so I was happy. But it's not fairing well anymore.

Deal with it. 

Just want you to know that thermal paste dies over time.  So the temps going up probably are related to the thermal paste, not the CPUs.

Additionally, I'd get the 8370.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It's horrible for the 9590 in-particular, which is just ridiculous in how much power it consumes and the heat it outputs. 

Why would anyone use air cooling on that in the first place?! I would never consider that unless it was a couple years ago and I had a $1000 on hand :D

That's not an issue with the cooler. That's the VRMs catching fire. 

So I may be going with the E-iteration processors, because it seems they are not only efficient, but slightly more powerful than predecessors. Thanks all!  

They suggest watercooling for those CPUs. That is like trying to use AMDs stock cooler to overclock on a normal processor.

That's not an issue with the cooler. That's the VRMs catching fire. 

You can air cool the 9590 but you need fast fans and a beefy cooler, get yourself a 8370E, thank me later.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

I was just planning on that.

I was just planning on that.

Really wish I traded my dead 8350 for one rather than a replacement 8350.... You can hit 5ghz on the 8370E with less voltage meaning less thermals meaning you can push them higher... meaning 5.2ghz stable....  :ph34r:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

They suggest watercooling for those CPUs. That is like trying to use AMDs stock cooler to overclock on a normal processor.

Well, it's recommended, but something like a Dark Rock Pro 3 or NH-D15 would be able to cope with it quite well.