Windows tells me to repair every time I boot it up

GIR385

Ok, I really need help. Every time I turn on my computer, it tells me to repair windows. By disconnecting my SSD and HDD, then restarting, then reconnecting them, I can get it to boot properly, but the error will happen again when I boot up my computer. I built this computer yesterday, and this wasn't happening till later. It seems to have happened after an update, I think. I tried to restore it, but I can't because it doesn't boot properly. I've heard this could be a result of a dirty drive, but again, I can't check because windows doesn't boot properly, which I need to do in order to check if a drive is dirty! WHAT DO I DO? Please help... 

-GIR

unplug all drives except your SSD

format it and install windows on it again

do not restart/turn off your PC for a few hours after installing

then restart it, check for updates, install all the updates, and when it is finished then restart again

now plug your HDD back in and install all your stuff

windows should work correctly

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

unplug all drives except your SSD

format it and install windows on it again

do not restart/turn off your PC for a few hours after installing

then restart it, check for updates, install all the updates, and when it is finished then restart again

now plug your HDD back in and install all your stuff

windows should work correctly

Will this require another product key?

-GIR

Also how do I format it? And what are the settings I format it to?

-GIR

no

just use the same one, it will work

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

no

just use the same one, it will work

Unplug my Hdd and then format it? When I Unplug my HDD, my computer won't work. Should I format my ssd, then Unplug it?

-GIR

Unplug my Hdd and then format it? When I Unplug my HDD, my computer won't work. Should I format my ssd, then Unplug it?

youre installing windows on the SSD right?

when you start the installation process you get an option to format the drive youre going to install on

and your HDD should be unplugged while you install windows on the SSD

Spoiler

youre installing windows on the SSD right?

when you start the installation process you get an option to format the drive youre going to install on

and your HDD should be unplugged while you install windows on the SSD

Ok, so I format my SSD, then I unplug my HDD and hook up my installation media. Then once I boot into the windows installer, I install Windows, use the same product key, and once I get Windows up and running I keep it from Shutting down for an hour. Then I restart it and update, then plug my HDD back in, and then all should be well. Is It ok for windows to update before I restart it, because I think it will be looking for updates throughout that time. Also, can I install stuff (Like other programs and games) during this time that I'm preventing it from shutting down? And what if this happens again (B/c it might have happened due to an update)?

-GIR

Ok, so I format my SSD, then I unplug my HDD and hook up my installation media. Then once I boot into the windows installer, I install Windows, use the same product key, and once I get Windows up and running I keep it from Shutting down for an hour. Then I restart it and update, then plug my HDD back in, and then all should be well. Is It ok for windows to update before I restart it, because I think it will be looking for updates throughout that time. Also, can I install stuff (Like other programs and games) during this time that I'm preventing it from shutting down? And what if this happens again (B/c it might have happened due to an update)?

oh if your OS is on your HDD right now then yes you can format your SSD before installing

when you first load into windows just leave it for a few hours until CPU and HDD usage drops to 0 for at least 15 minutes

dont install any updates yet (if windows installs them then thats fine, but dont go into control panel->windows update yourself yet)

then restart, leave it for a while until CPU and HDD usage goes to 0 again, then go into the control panel, and check for updates, and let it install everything then restart

after this  then you can start installing all your programs and stuff, and plug your HDD back in (while the PC is off of course)

just make sure that your HDD is not on the boot priorities list or you might accidentally boot into your old windows on the HDD :)

Spoiler

oh if your OS is on your HDD right now then yes you can format your SSD before installing

when you first load into windows just leave it for a few hours until CPU and HDD usage drops to 0 for at least 15 minutes

dont install any updates yet (if windows installs them then thats fine, but dont go into control panel->windows update yourself yet)

then restart, leave it for a while until CPU and HDD usage goes to 0 again, then go into the control panel, and check for updates, and let it install everything then restart

after this then you can start installing all your programs and stuff, and plug your HDD back in (while the PC is off of course)

just make sure that your HDD is not on the boot priorities list or you might accidentally boot into your old windows on the HDD :)

Thanks for your help. Windows is on my SSD, sorry for the confusion. So should I simply disconnect my HDD and install Windows, and it should automatically format it?

-GIR

Thanks for your help. Windows is on my SSD, sorry for the confusion. So should I simply disconnect my HDD and install Windows, and it should automatically format it?

yeah

right beside the delete

windows-7-partition-setup-screenshot.jpg

Spoiler

yeah

right beside the delete

windows-7-partition-setup-screenshot.jpg

Ok, thanks. Ima do that in about an hour, so I'll tell you how it went. But how do I tell my SSD and CPU usage?

-GIR

Ok, thanks. Ima do that in about an hour, so I'll tell you how it went. But how do I tell my SSD and CPU usage?

task manager

Spoiler

task manager

I have my installation media in, but its saying it can't find the drivers. What's going on?

-GIR

I have my installation media in, but its saying it can't find the drivers. What's going on?

did you boot from the installation media??

Spoiler

did you boot from the installation media??

Thanks for all your help. I found some articles online and I was able to repair it. Now everything works fine. You helped me in one of my earlier articles as well, so a huge thanks to you. If I have any more troubles, I'll post them here. Thanks again.

-GIR

Thanks for all your help. I found some articles online and I was able to repair it. Now everything works fine. You helped me in one of my earlier articles as well, so a huge thanks to you. If I have any more troubles, I'll post them here. Thanks again.

yay

you're welcome :)

Spoiler