RFID Cloning

KraftDinner

Tried something new this weekend and attempted to clone a card I have that uses IsoDep and NfcA technology. Now I scanned the card in order to retrieve its contents and I'm left with a couple ID's both in Hex and Decimal. Since this is my first time messing around with this I'm curious as to what the process is with writing this info to another card in order to clone it? Let me know if I goofed up anywhere, thanks.

BTW, I should probably say I'm doing this out of sheer curiosity and I wont be using the cloned card.

You need to get cards that are writable. I tired this once. Like CDROMs/CDRAMs you need to write to these cards.

First you need to find the exact same type of NFC card, hence "clone".

You need an interface device to connect it to PC. I used Arduino with NFC Shield (around 12 USD in my Country). The shield could read and write data.

You need to find something similar.

Have fun!

Regards

You need to get cards that are writable. I tired this once. Like CDROMs/CDRAMs you need to write to these cards.

First you need to find the exact same type of NFC card, hence "clone".

You need an interface device to connect it to PC. I used Arduino with NFC Shield (around 12 USD in my Country). The shield could read and write data.

You need to find something similar.

Have fun!

Regards

Awesome, this will definitely help me get on the right track thank you very much!

Awesome, this will definitely help me get on the right track thank you very much!

Glad I could help :)

Tried something new this weekend and attempted to clone a card I have that uses IsoDep and NfcA technology. Now I scanned the card in order to retrieve its contents and I'm left with a couple ID's both in Hex and Decimal. Since this is my first time messing around with this I'm curious as to what the process is with writing this info to another card in order to clone it? Let me know if I goofed up anywhere, thanks.

BTW, I should probably say I'm doing this out of sheer curiosity and I wont be using the cloned card.

You can copy all data from the storage of the card to an other. However every card has an unique ID code that con not be overwritten.

So it's not (easely) possible to make a 1:1 coppy of the card.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

You can copy all data from the storage of the card to an other. However every card has an unique ID code that con not be overwritten.

So it's not (easely) possible to make a 1:1 coppy of the card.

Yeah, I discovered they have a randomly generated unique ID, I'm wondering if it would be possible to clone the data and remove the unique identifier and generate my own... but this brings up further issues 

Yeah, I discovered they have a randomly generated unique ID, I'm wondering if it would be possible to clone the data and remove the unique identifier and generate my own... but this brings up further issues 

The ID is required for the reader to differenciate tags when several tags are in range. I'm not sure if you can buy tags that allow you to change the ID.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

• 2 weeks later...

The ID is required for the reader to differenciate tags when several tags are in range. I'm not sure if you can buy tags that allow you to change the ID.

Just asking... if the ID is for the reader, then would it matter? The data inside it would be processed, no?

Just asking... if the ID is for the reader, then would it matter? The data inside it would be processed, no?

Yes it would. But depending on the application using this data, the ID is also checked and it would know that the card was copied. But for test purpose it should do the trick.

Yes it would. But depending on the application using this data, the ID is also checked and it would know that the card was copied. But for test purpose it should do the trick.

There's this guy on youtube (geohot) he hacked his school magnetic stripe card so that it can open any door I wonder how he did this, you would have to manipulate the actual bits on the card so that they are accepted by every reader in the school

Cool topic! Love RFID, you want to look up a guy called Amal Graafstra - some awesome tech going on there. In terms of cloning the card, most of this has been covered already. Copying data and writing this to another *writable* tag should be feasible. Just any unique identifiers are going to be out of reach. Only way I can see this being accomplished is emulation - sorry, I've not too much experience here.

There's this guy on youtube (geohot) he hacked his school magnetic stripe card so that it can open any door I wonder how he did this, you would have to manipulate the actual bits on the card so that they are accepted by every reader in the school

Mag stripes are a whole lot easier to play with (in general). So long as it's only 2 stripes you can get into this pretty cheaply - three starts to cost... You'd have to see what data is on the card and how they are interpreting this on the system.

Cool topic! Love RFID, you want to look up a guy called Amal Graafstra - some awesome tech going on there. In terms of cloning the card, most of this has been covered already. Copying data and writing this to another *writable* tag should be feasible. Just any unique identifiers are going to be out of reach. Only way I can see this being accomplished is emulation - sorry, I've not too much experience here.

Mag stripes are a whole lot easier to play with (in general). So long as it's only 2 stripes you can get into this pretty cheaply - three starts to cost... You'd have to see what data is on the card and how they are interpreting this on the system.

Sweet, I'm very interested in messing with RFID, I want to get started on my personal RFID cloner using python 

Edit:

Wow just checked out Amal Graafstra and he's taking RFID technology to the next level, thanks for telling me about him!

You're welcome. He's not the only double implantee around ;) ..

Do you have any experience with biohacking?

Do you have any experience with biohacking?

I've got an EM4102 125KHz 3x13mm tag in my left hand, and a xNT NFC 13.56MHz 2x12mm tag in my right. Toyed with the idea of magnets but I'm not really a huge fan of blood, or needles for that matter.

How about yourself? Can we tempt you to the tagged side? :D

I've got an EM4102 125KHz 3x13mm tag in my left hand, and a xNT NFC 13.56MHz 2x12mm tag in my right. Toyed with the idea of magnets but I'm not really a huge fan of blood, or needles for that matter.

How about yourself? Can we tempt you to the tagged side? :D

Wow thats real ballsy of you haha, are the tags reprogrammable? To be %100 honest I had no idea biohacking was a thing until yesterday but I am definitely fascinated.... love tinkering with RFID 

From my understanding of NFC its a protocol. Right? And the data is transmitted by a circular antenna at a specific frequency?

If a certain circuit is made to act as and RFID card, then using Arduino as the memory or Data Provider, this thing can be achieved in realtime?

You can provide Arduino with the exact data to transmit, even the ID? No?

NB: Sorry for any typos i have a bandaged finger....WOW this is typed correctly -.-

From my understanding of NFC its a protocol. Right? And the data is transmitted by a circular antenna at a specific frequency?

If a certain circuit is made to act as and RFID card, then using Arduino as the memory or Data Provider, this thing can be achieved in realtime?

NB: Sorry for any typos i have a bandaged finger....WOW this is typed correctly -.-

You wouldn't even need an arduino to achieve this from my understanding, all we would have to to is read the RFID off of a card using NFC, then write that same data to a programmable card and it would work. I'm trying to figure out a way to transfer the data onto my cell phone so that I can use that instead of pulling my card out everytime

Wow thats real ballsy of you haha, are the tags reprogrammable? To be %100 honest I had no idea biohacking was a thing until yesterday but I am definitely fascinated.... love tinkering with RFID 

The EM4102 is read-only. Where as the xNT is a standard NFC tag with 1Kb user-programmable memory. Yup, a whole ONE KILOBYTE :D

On 1/30/2016 at 1:02 PM, KraftDinner said:

You wouldn't even need an arduino to achieve this from my understanding, all we would have to to is read the RFID off of a card using NFC, then write that same data to a programmable card and it would work. I'm trying to figure out a way to transfer the data onto my cell phone so that I can use that instead of pulling my card out everytime

Yeah I know... I just saying that if the ID is not programmable then this is a way to go but you are not hacking or something so I don't think it would even matter.

I would love to hack my University's RFID System, it would be fun. :evil laugh:

6 hours ago, ssm14293 said:

Yeah I know... I just saying that if the ID is not programmable then this is a way to go but you are not hacking or something so I don't think it would even matter.

I would love to hack my University's RFID System, it would be fun. :evil laugh:

I agree, my university has a print card system where you need to load money onto a mag stripe card which you then swipe at the computer you would like to print at, I would love to hack this

23 hours ago, KraftDinner said:

I agree, my university has a print card system where you need to load money onto a mag stripe card which you then swipe at the computer you would like to print at, I would love to hack this

That would be encrypted somehow. But making multiple copies of the card would allow you to add money once and use it repeatedly. Though I would not suggest it.

On 2/1/2016 at 8:40 PM, ssm14293 said:

That would be encrypted somehow. But making multiple copies of the card would allow you to add money once and use it repeatedly. Though I would not suggest it.

Wouldn't you think that the card simply contained an ID number? Which when read would identify the account and how much cash is available on a central DB?

On 2/2/2016 at 3:02 AM, Andrew_C said:

Wouldn't you think that the card simply contained an ID number? Which when read would identify the account and how much cash is available on a central DB?

Oh yeah. Doh! I am seemingly assuming stuff are not connected to the network -.-'