Performance differences per generation? Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge vs Haswell vs Skylake

From Sandy to Ivy, to Haswell to Skylake, what is the performance difference between each generation? I already feel outdated with Ivy but people say it is still solid, if I were to upgrade it is probably next gen however.

Some people say 5-10% each generation, meaning I am at least 10% behind in IPC?

How do Ivy and Haswell compare for example also? I mean differences in general tasks, and in gaming.

Gaming: minimal difference. Like Sandy Bridge to Skylake with a 980 Ti or something will not be noticeable a lot.

In single core performance I think it's about 10% better performance each gen up.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not much of a difference between generations. Definitely not worth upgrading from Ivy to Skylake if you would be going with the same amount of cores. Only worthwile upgrade is if you want to get more cores otherwise you wont notice a difference .. especialy in games where GPU upgrade would give you FAR FAR better performance increase.

Not much of a difference between generations. Definitely not worth upgrading from Ivy to Skylake if you would be going with the same amount of cores. Only worthwile upgrade is if you want to get more cores otherwise you wont notice a difference .. especialy in games where GPU upgrade would give you FAR FAR better performance increase.

Yeah I know, if I was to upgrade it would be next generation or maybe even later.

Gaming: minimal difference. Like Sandy Bridge to Skylake with a 980 Ti or something will not be noticeable a lot.

In single core performance I think it's about 10% better performance each gen up.

So gaming not a whole lot at all.... good to know.

there is a 30%ish difference between sandy and Skylake CPU wise.

not to mention Skylake has MORE PCIe gen3 lanes.

there is a 30%ish difference between sandy and Skylake CPU wise.

not to mention Skylake has MORE PCIe gen3 lanes.

yeah, so a 10% increase in power each gen means 33,1% increase from Sandy to Skylake

And those PCIE lanes might help indeed, but if you're not gonna run SLI.. Meh.

So gaming not a whole lot at all.... good to know.

Games do not benefit a whole lot of multiple cores still, so a quad core Ivy Bridge is still very good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yeah, so a 10% increase in power each gen means 33,1% increase from Sandy to Skylake

And those PCIE lanes might help indeed, but if you're not gonna run SLI.. Meh.

Games do not benefit a whole lot of multiple cores still, so a quad core Ivy Bridge is still very good.

what really helps is DDR4.

due to how DDR4 works, it is notably faster then DDR3, even when going equal speed, DDR4 is super close to DDR3 even while DDR3 has much much lower latencies.

DDR4 2666MHz or higher is cheap for a 8Gig kit. So cheap that the fact that it increases minimums where the CPU is stressed makes it worth it.

also... in terms of PCIe lanes though.

990FX AM3+ boards has so many gen2 lanes they can compete with every intel offering except X99 in terms of sheer bandwidth...

i will note that Sandy, Ivy, Haswell and Skylake has better bandwidth with single cards so for single card, intel IS BETTER, but at dual, tri or quad card configurations 990FX chipset can match everything up to X99 due to having sheer massive numbers of Gen2 lanes (like 38 total... 32 for GPUs, 6 for misc)

IPC and DDR4

the DDR4 memory is faster, so the minimums of Skylake will be better then Haswell unless you run 2400MHz DDR3 ram.

Currently I'm running 4690k at 4.5GHz with 8GB of 1866MHz ram. I hope it will last long enough :)

Currently I'm running 4690k at 4.5GHz with 8GB of 1866MHz ram. I hope it will last long enough :)

Haswell will be fine for a LOOONG time

look at AMD FX 8350.... in modern games like most games released in 2014 and 2015, it is within 30% of a stock 4690k (stock vs stock)...

FX, core for core is 70% weaker then Haswell. 70% weaker and still  within 30% of a Intel i5 4690k....

Sure, high core count helps it A LOT. But what really helps it, is games simply using these cores at all.

in terms of RAM speed..

most test systems uses 1600Mhz DDR3...

DDR4 starts at 2133Mhz...

thing is though, games dont really gain that much from latency decreases as they gain from sheer speed (unless the latencies are REALLY high). So most 2133Mhz DDR4 kits will easily outperform any 1600Mhz DDR3 kit, due to speed being favored more by the workload itself.