150$ Headset recommendations

BottleneckHunter
Go to solution Solved by BottleneckHunter,

They are pretty much Rebranded Brainwavz MH5 and they are very good for the price. I will agree with sobe and say that the MX0x line is a terrible option for gaming. They have absolutely no soundstage, which is what you need for positional audio with gaming. Closed headphones in general lack soundstage, but the NVX does have decent soundstage for closed headphones. If you could stand to have sound leakage of open headphones I still would suggest a pair of Philips SHP9500 + a Vmoda BoomPro.

The NVX XPT100 is a clone of the renowned Brainwavz HM5, you really can't go wrong with them as far as closed cans go, especially for the price.

Looks like i will be getting the NVX XPT100's and the Vmoda BoomPro i think this should work well 

Hello, i am looking for a USB or 3.5mm headset with a closed back and no modmic stuff because I need an all in one solution. I need this primarily for gaming and some FLAC Audio/Movies on the side. I also need a pretty good mic for voice comms. Thanks.

Stuff n Things

Why a headset though? Sorry but a modmic/external mix + headphones will beat any headset in terms of quality for the originally intended price point.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hello, i am looking for a USB or 3.5mm headset with a closed back and no modmic stuff because I need an all in one solution. I need this primarily for gaming and some FLAC Audio/Movies on the side. I also need a pretty good mic for voice comms. Thanks.

Why a headset though? Sorry but a modmic/external mix + headphones will beat any headset in terms of quality for the originally intended price point.

I agree with DarkBlade on this one. Any specific reason a AIO solution is required? I have a AIO solution myself (astro A40, which would work fine for what you want) and wish I would have gotten a dedicated headset and mic instead.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I would get a mic + headphone combo like what  I have currently but if not look at the hyperx Cloud II. They seem to get good reviews and are not overpriced. (that much) 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

I agree with DarkBlade on this one. Any specific reason a AIO solution is required? I have a AIO solution myself (astro A40, which would work fine for what you want) and wish I would have gotten a dedicated headset and mic instead.

For example you can get a pair of Sennheiser HD558s plus a Blue Snowball or Modmoc which will be better then for example the Sennheiser G4ME ZEROs

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

yeah, two cables are a bit finicky. and putting the mic up or down is not very smooth. Also the mute switch its not totally silent. It some how limits the mic volume to like 5%  

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

For example you can get a pair of Sennheiser HD558s plus a Blue Snowball or Modmoc which will be better then for example the Sennheiser G4ME ZEROs

Not true. The Game Zeros are closed. The 558 are open. 

yeah, two cables are a bit finicky. and putting the mic up or down is not very smooth. Also the mute switch its not totally silent. It some how limits the mic volume to like 5%  

you could always get a wireless headset and a wired mic wouldn't a problem is its on your desk like a keyboard.

and yeah with the A40 when I use the in-line mute it mutes my voice but if there is system sounds like from games it literally just blasts that in my teamspeak or skype.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Yeah though open backs have better sound quality :) Could also get Audio Technicas M40s ( Which unless test wrongly are closed )

Sennheiser Game One

HyperX Cloud 1

HyperX Cloud 2

Do some research and get the one you think has the sound signature you'll like

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Yeah though open backs have better sound quality :) Could also get Audio Technicas M40s ( Which unless test wrongly are closed )

Yes 

*Only when your room is quiet 

It does have a wider soundstage but it also leaks a ton. You pretty much hear everything. In game or not. Also not as good in the low end. If you don't eq any bass then it is pretty flat. 

Its really dependent on a specific situation. 

He said no modmic and you guys tell never ending storys about it...@OP Sennheiser Game One (open) Sennheiser Game Zero (closed)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The Sennheiser G4ME One is $149 on Amazon right now, that's what I would go for hands down. Quite possibly THE best headset on the market IMO. Also of course a nice premium feel unlike game brands like Logitech and Astro that feel like flimsy cheap plastic. Can go for the  G4ME Zero for closed if you prefer a bit of isolation or can go cheaper and grab the HyperX Cloud Core for $70 which is also closed.

Btw, the recommendation for AT M40X, terrible recommendation for gaming.... Stop with the Mx0X recommendations, they are a stain in the audio forum here.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Im kind of scared of Non USB headphones+Modmic  or anything like that because i want surround sound audio in my Games and be able to hear everything from every angle properly. I need perfect positional audio.

im still torn between the Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma , the Kingston Hyperx Cloud II and the Sennheisers.

Currently i have a Razer Tiamat 7.1 Full Analog Headset which to me sounded amazing before the dog ate the cable but i know they are no where near the quality of better sets. Im just worried i will loose good sound positioning

thanks

Stuff n Things

Im kind of scared of Non USB headphones+Modmic  or anything like that because i want surround sound audio in my Games and be able to hear everything from every angle properly. I need perfect positional audio.

im still torn between the Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma , the Kingston Hyperx Cloud II and the Sennheisers.

Currently i have a Razer Tiamat 7.1 Full Analog Headset which to me sounded amazing before the dog ate the cable but i know they are no where near the quality of better sets. Im just worried i will loose good sound positioning

thanks

If you are worried about directional audio then you do NOT want fake surround sound. If you want surround sound buy a 7.1 speaker setup and spend money redoing the room to reflect sound properly.

Btw, if you insist on fake 7.1, which is horrible for positioning btw, Razer Surround is free to use with ANY headphones. USB is worthless and only worthwhile if you have broken audio jacks.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

If you are worried about directional audio then you do NOT want fake surround sound. If you want surround sound buy a 7.1 speaker setup and spend money redoing the room to reflect sound properly.

Btw, if you insist on fake 7.1, which is horrible for positioning btw, Razer Surround is free to use with ANY headphones. USB is worthless and only worthwhile if you have broken audio jacks.

I can't use speakers in my game room with my wife also trying to game and concentrate plus I do like some bass in movies and music so I need a closed back solution. So you are saying I can get a pair of sennheisers plus modmic and it will have good surround sound for my games?

Stuff n Things

Will i need an AMP or AmpDac for the Sennheisers + Mod Mic Combo?

i can get the 558's for 80 bucks and im thinking about doing it .

Stuff n Things

Will i need an AMP or AmpDac for the Sennheisers + Mod Mic Combo?

i can get the 558's for 80 bucks and im thinking about doing it .

If you cant use speakers then dont get the open Sennheisers. They leak so much sound that for the other person in the room, it sounds like your using speakers. As to your question about needing an amp and/or dac, nope not for those

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

im worried that the 558's are open and i need noise cancellation plus i dont know if i can afford a separate Amp/Dac    thanks.

Stuff n Things

im worried that the 558's are open and i need noise cancellation plus i dont know if i can afford a separate Amp/Dac    thanks.

You shouldn't need one though I'm not viable to answer that. What about Audio Technicas M40x's?

Stuff n Things

you have a nice motherboard with a good sound chip, Unless you hear a hiss, when not playing any sounds you should be fine. And there is two things. Noise Cancellation and noise isolation. Buy the Headphones first and if you find that they are not loud enough than you should get an AMP. For the most part you do not need a dedicated DAC. People in the audio industry have kinda over hyped this thing. Mainly Mayflower electronics.  

Noise cancellation uses a dedicated mic to cancel out noise. It pretty much plays an anti noise. ex. Bose QC 25

Noise Isolation is ear plugs. 

A good pair of noise isolating headphones are the ATH-M40 or the M50 if you can get them cheap. *cough* hype *cough* 

If you cant use speakers then dont get the open Sennheisers. They leak so much sound that for the other person in the room, it sounds like your using speakers. As to your question about needing an amp and/or dac, nope not for those

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x's seem pretty good for a closed back solution plus modmic for under 150$ will i be able to apply some sort of surround sound using my XFI sound card?

Stuff n Things

DEM HYPES 

The price is over hyped, for over $150 they are not worth it. The M40 are 95% of the M50 but costs $50 less

DEM HYPES 

The price is over hyped, for over $150 they are not worth it. The M40 are 95% of the M50 but costs $50 less

M40's Seem Pretty Legit for 95$  plus modmic for 55$ for a total of  150$ thanks Gentlemen.

the last question is will i be able to get some good surround sound using sound card settings or something else?

Stuff n Things