Best drivers for Linux

Which company, either Nvidia or AMD, have the best drivers for Linux either company made or open source.

Thanks B)

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I think most people use mesa drivers but idk

AMD has better OpenCL support. I find AMD cards have better luck with linux.

AMD has better OpenCL support. I find AMD cards have better luck with linux.

Ok thanks.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Which company, either Nvidia or AMD, have the best drivers for Linux either company made or open source.

Thanks B)

I always heard amd has bad linux support , but don't quote me on that.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i havent had the best of luck with my GTX970 and manjaro linux, it just doesnt want to configure all 3 of my monitors correctly, it does any two just fine, but the moment i do the third its all gone after a reboot.

i've yet to test performance, and test with my (recently repaired, yay) amd card how that one fares with linux.

I always heard amd has bad linux support , but don't quote me on that.

off the top of my head nvidia's proprietary drivers are better than amd's, but amd's open sauce drivers are godlike.

I've tried my (now gone) R9 270 on Linux, worked fine, and my now GTX 960 as well.

Both worked fine once installed on one monitor. They were the proprietary versions, because the FOSS ones just don't care in performance.

Ummmm I really hope you are not serious, amd has never had good linux drivers, nvidia doesn't have amazing drivers either on linux but amd's are far worse

I wouldn't take his word for it

refer to my post just above you, the linux world isnt as easy, theres actually something like 5 different drivers on the nvidia side, and i think 3 or 4 on the amd side. (ignoring mesa, mesa is awful.)

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

refer to my post just above you, the linux world isnt as easy, theres actually something like 5 different drivers on the nvidia side, and i think 3 or 4 on the amd side. (ignoring mesa, mesa is awful.)

Then why do people like tech syndicate (whom really like amd) always whine about not having good amd drivers, my only conclusion besides the one I made could be that they just like to complain, either way good to know.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Ummmm I really hope you are not serious, amd has never had good linux drivers, nvidia doesn't have amazing drivers either on linux but amd's are far worse

I wouldn't take his word for it

Well when I used nvidia's drivers, they where broken as hell. So were the open source ones. From what I've seen, if you use open source drives for AMD on linux, its way better.

Well when I used nvidia's drivers, they where broken as hell. So where the open source. From what I've seen, if you use open source drives for AMD on linux, its way better.

i can back this, i love the nvidia experience on windows, i want to strangle babies on linux...

Then why do people like tech syndicate (whom really like amd) always whine about not having good amd drivers, my only conclusion besides the one I made could be that they just like to complain, either way good to know.

because the entirety of drivers on linux is way under par compared to windows, not just amd drivers. their biggest problem is that theres ALWAYS something stupid that stops it from going smooth, like my 3rd monitor i described earlier.

Well when I used nvidia's drivers, they where broken as hell. So were the open source ones. From what I've seen, if you use open source drives for AMD on linux, its way better.

Hmm maybe things have changed, my viewpoint is based on tech syndicate members complaining about the amd drivers on linux and conceding the nvidia ones as better, despite being amd fans, but as I mentioned maybe they just like to whine.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Hmm maybe things have changed, my viewpoint is based on tech syndicate members complaining about the amd drivers on linux and conceding the nvidia ones as better, despite being amd fans, but as I mentioned maybe they just like to whine.

the linux world is also one of the fastest changing worlds in terms of software. i dont think you can ever explain distro-hopping to for example a mac user.

"wait, so you mean you completely change user experience every 6 months?"

AMD's proprietary drivers are god awful. But that is going to be fixed soon™ with amd now adding the proprietary elements to the open source driver.

AMD's open source drivers are fantastic but miss a few proprietary elements that I need on occasoion.

Nvidia's proprietary drivers are pretty damn good. Just as long as you don't try to install them from their website.

I don't think nvidia's open source drivers are even worth mentioning.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.