Higher res need advice

MamamIV

I have a gigabyte g1 gtx970 and 4670k and in the future want to be able to game at 1440p.

I could either upgrade the monitor now to acer xb270hu and do some oc and play on medium settings. Else i could buy another 970 in sli and buy monitor later but then I must upgrade motherboard and PSU because 700w isn't enough. The last alternative is to invest in custom water cooling and do some extreme OC and later buy a monitor.

Or I could buy a gtx 980ti and sell my 970

OR you can go the cheaper way and buy another 970 and sli that MOFO!

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

OR you can go the cheaper way and buy another 970 and sli that MOFO!

As long as he's not playing Arkham Knight or Just Cause 3...

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

I would wait for pascal/polaris

if you cant wait , buy a 980ti.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I would wait for pascal/polaris

if you cant wait , buy a 980ti.

I wouldn't suggest waiting for Pascal, unless you wanna be a "tester" per say. I feel that it is a good rule of thumb to never buy the first generation of anything. Usually that's when you run into bugs and glitches. But regardless if you have time to wait for pascal, it might be worth it. We will see.

The 970 can play a lot of games - other than the most high-demanding of latest games - at 1440p on higher settings. I'd go for the monitor first.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

I wouldn't suggest waiting for Pascal, unless you wanna be a "tester" per say. I feel that it is a good rule of thumb to never buy the first generation of anything. Usually that's when you run into bugs and glitches. But regardless if you have time to wait for pascal, it might be worth it. We will see.

This wouldn't really be "first gen" , as maxwell is the first gen of cards designed with dx 12 in mind .

Also , the newer manuacturing process will be beneficial.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I think I'll wait for pascal and see if they're any good and after I'll choose to either buy pascal or buy a probably reduced gtx 980ti from price perspective. Problem is I don't know when the new architecture will find its way to the customers and I'm in a kind of must upgrade now mood. But I think it's wiser to wait.

I think I'll wait for pascal and see if they're any good and after I'll choose to either buy pascal or buy a probably reduced gtx 980ti from price perspective. Problem is I don't know when the new architecture will find its way to the customers and I'm in a kind of must upgrade now mood. But I think it's wiser to wait.

amd greenland/polaris is set for this summer . Pascal should come this fall ( supposedly september)

amd greenland/polaris is set for this summer . Pascal should come this fall ( supposedly september)

Are you sure that the release of CONSUMER graphics card would be in September?

Are you sure the consumer grade pascal graphics cards will be released by this fall?

Are you sure the consumer grade pascal graphics cards will be released by this fall?

Nothing is for sure right now, no one has any sort of information. But it is likely that neither AMD nor nVidia will release bigger chips when they bring GCN Polaris and Pascal to the market. AMD stated that they´ll bring desktop GPUs to the market in 2016, but not which iteration. It could also just be something like they´ve shown before. With Polaris architecture and GDDR5.

AMD already confirmend that this manufacturing process needs to hold up for 4-5 years. Same counts for nVidia. So even if they would have a big chip ready by summer or fall 2016 they´d never release it. What kind of chips would both sell then in 2017 or 2018?

I think if you need more GPU horse power now, then now is then right time to upgrade. A GTX980Ti is a very fine choice and you´ll not be bothered by SLI profiles and such.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling