$200 Closed or Open Headphones with detachable cable

notenoughtv

As the title says I'm looking for headphones with a detachable cable around $200.

I like having the least amount of cables in sight and having the headphone cable going from my case to my headphones across the desk drives me insane. I would route it beneath the desk like the rest of my cables but I also like to use them around the house so that would be an issue. So having one cable for my desk and one for everywhere else would be nice. I currently have a pair of ATH M50's and they are kind of small for my big head. Comfort is a big plus.

(200 dollars US or CA, doesn't really make that much of a difference)

Your Best option is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Hate to say it but all of your suggestions are trumped by akg!

If you can get over the bad headband, look for a good deal for q701s.

I found mine for $189 brand new. (eBay)

Have you heard the LP2 for comparison? 701/701 are good, but they're not the end-all-be-all, and would require something to drive them - oh wait, that's what you want!  :P

Q701 has only 62 ohms, you don't need an amp. I was using them with my iPhone briefly!

HA! That's why you didn't like them!

HA! That's why you didn't like them!

I said briefly, just to see if the iPhone can drive them (they can). The other 99% of the time it was with the o2/ODAC. It's that damn headband that kills it for me. 

I'd also recommend the AKG Q701s, unless you're looking for a bass monster. I just received my DAC, which in combination with my Little Dot MKIII gives me insanely good quality and decent bass. Without my tube amp I found them to sound a bit on the flat side without much character (though a ton of clarity, so it's very good for games and movies), but with the amp they sound very good. 

It comes with two cables, one that is like four armlengths of a normal person and another that is two times as long as the short one, so that would also be ideal for your routing plans. 

Q701 has only 62 ohms, you don't need an amp. I was using them with my iPhone briefly!

The impedance rating is not what determines whether or not you need an amp, it's a combination of impedance and sensitivity that does. AKG 701/702's relatively low sensitivity requires loads of voltage to drive them well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587289/head-fi-psa-the-impedance-of-a-headphone-is-not-how-hard-it-is-to-drive

I'm not bashing the AKG - I really do like mine - I just wouldn't pick it to be my one and only.

The impedance rating is not what determines whether or not you need an amp, it's a combination of impedance and sensitivity that does. AKG 701/702's relatively low sensitivity requires loads of voltage to drive them well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587289/head-fi-psa-the-impedance-of-a-headphone-is-not-how-hard-it-is-to-drive

Well yes, I know that, I'm trying to keep it simple for the OP. They are just like my orthodynamic headphones I sell. They are only 55 ohms but need an amp to sound good at all. (All ortho drivers need lots of power).

In reality the iPhone drove the Q701's, I never said it sounded to it's full potential ;)

Well yes, I know that, I'm trying to keep it simple for the OP. They are just like my orthodynamic headphones I sell. They are only 55 ohms but need an amp to sound good at all. (All ortho drivers need lots of power).

In reality the iPhone drove the Q701's, I never said it sounded to it's full potential ;)

That's like saying a V4 can push a Ferrari.  :rolleyes:

That's like saying a V4 can push a Ferrari. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised the iphone5 isn't actually too bad. Oh and there's no such thing as v4's (Saab made them a long time ago but not anymore) sorry I couldn't resist!

You'd be surprised the iphone5 isn't actually too bad. Oh and there's no such thing as v4's (Saab made them a long time ago but not anymore) sorry I couldn't resist!

Oh really? Where's Toyota hiding the extra cylinders in my 2008 Yaris? 

totes stealing OP's thread - no cares were given

Oh really? Where's Toyota hiding the extra cylinders in my 2008 Yaris? 

totes stealing OP's thread - no cares were given

Haha I'm sure no one's even reading this.

You have a flat 4 in your Yaris, not a V4.

GM-1.4-non-turbo-engine-001.jpg

above is a flat 4

V4_Angle.jpg

V4 

aren't you both wrong a flat 4 engine is the boxer engine employed by subaru and porsche

Subaru-Boxer-Engine.jpg

engine-flat-4.gif

aren't you both wrong a flat 4 engine is the boxer engine employed by subaru and porsche

Subaru-Boxer-Engine.jpg

engine-flat-4.gif

No, that's not what I'm talking about. Most normal 4 cylinder cars (currently in production) use a normal flat 4 engine.

There's V4 (saab, snowmobiles ect ect)

Then yes, there's the boxer engine, used in WRX's, GT86's ect ect. Personally I like flat 6 turbo's or supercharged V8's.

They didn't play nice with my iPod Classic.  It's a picky headphone.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Your Best option is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

V-MODA Crossfade LP2 are also in that range.

No, that's not what I'm talking about. Most normal 4 cylinder cars (currently in production) use a normal flat 4 engine.

There's V4 (saab, snowmobiles ect ect)

Then yes, there's the boxer engine, used in WRX's, GT86's ect ect. Personally I like flat 6 turbo's or supercharged V8's.

Personally I love the inline-4-cylinder i-Vtec on my civic si, 8000rpm redline is just awesome

i would go for a pair of sennheiser hd558's! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out