M.2 Samsung Migrate

Go to solution Solved by DXMember,

No it doesn't

but you can download the data migration tool from their website

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Hi guys, 

I just planned on buying a Lenovo y500 laptop and i figured that the ssd was a Samsung 128 gb MZNLN128HCGR-000L2 SSD.

I want to upgrade this boot drive with the samsung 850 evo M.2 256 gb option and use that 128 drive in this startech enclosure.

My plan is to buy this laptop, m.2 enclosure and this m.2 850 evo, clone the bootdrive via usb and then replace the original m.2 with the 850 evo.

I plan on cloning this 850 evo via this m.2 enclosure and then i will use the 128 gb samsung drive as a external storage device (with usb 3.0 uasp)

My questions are: 

1. does this M.2 850 evo come with the samsung migration software (i've never done something like this before so i think the samsung software will help)

2.If not what should i use and do?

3. About that enclosure, i thought it is aluminum. now i dont know how these enclosures work but i'm pretty sure that Drives do not like any static electricity and/ or any short circuits.

How does a aluminum enclosure affect this aspect? I dont want these drives to die as soon as i put one in it.

So sorry for this long post and some bad english^^

I'm shenkie from Holland and please help me, if you do you will be my hero !! 

Link for the m.2 enclosure (the only one i could find)  https://azerty.nl/0-829-833164/startech-com-usb-3-0-to-m-2-sata-external-ssd-enclosure-with-uasp-storage-enclosure-m-2-sata-6gb-s-600-mbps-usb-3-0-.html

post-239054-0-77353700-1452291855.jpg

No it doesn't

but you can download the data migration tool from their website

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Oh Data Migration.. But i want to clone this bootdrive so i can swap it out and if i need to do a factory system reboot that my pc wont die because of the fact that i dont have the original ssd anymore. Soo  :blush: what should i do?? 

I m still kinda new to this and i dont know what i have to...

Like tell me what to do in steps?? 

Please ??

Oh Data Migration.. But i want to clone this bootdrive so i can swap it out and if i need to do a factory system reboot that my pc wont die because of the fact that i dont have the original ssd anymore. Soo  :blush: what should i do?? 

I m still kinda new to this and i dont know what i have to...

the data migration tool clones your bootdrive

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

the data migration tool clones your bootdrive

Ok so the bootdrive will be cloned. Does that mean that i can factory reset on the cloned drive? (not the original drive) and do you recommend me doing some like stability tests? like f8 safeboot or so? (any thing?)

So sorry for bothering you so much  DXMember but i messed up this factory reset once on my old laptop and i realy dont want that to happen.. I hope you can understand why i am asking so much.

Shenki

Ok so the bootdrive will be cloned. Does that mean that i can factory reset on the cloned drive? (not the original drive) and do you recommend me doing some like stability tests? like f8 safeboot or so? (any thing?)

So sorry for bothering you so much  DXMember but i messed up this factory reset once on my old laptop and i realy dont want that to happen.. I hope you can understand why i am asking so much.

Shenki

why exactly do you want to reset it to factory settings? do you intend to sell the pc?

running stability tests and benchmarks on new hardware is always recommended to make sure everything is working as intended

Yeah well, eh i dont know any stability tests actually and maybe i thought you could recommend some

eh i dont intend to sell my laptop, its actually for when i accidentally mess up my laptop  (i dont realy think it will happen since i dont realy do torrents) 

but i think it is well, important to be able to reset my pc when i realy need to and well, not bump into any system crashes when i try to re install windows

from the pc it self which happened to my old laptop.

i tried to dual boot which i guess killed the windows reinstall file on my drive and when i tried to reset it it just said something was missing and bassically died...

why exactly do you want to reset it to factory settings? do you intend to sell the pc?

running stability tests and benchmarks on new hardware is always recommended to make sure everything is working as intended

But realy thank you for your advice and time DXMember, i will use samsung datamigration tool and run some stability tests (If you can suggest me some i would be golden) but yeah i ll just dig around in google to find some tests. I think i know what to do for the next couple of weeks xD thank you so much